What do you do with sliced tyres?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Sliced the sidewalls on both tyres the other week so what does everyone do with their tyres after?

I've got a new pair on order (if they ever arrive, f u Aus post) but do I just bin the torn ones? Can you patch them and give them away to someone running tubes?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Depends how bad the cuts are and how good/new the tread is tbh.

I’ve patched small (<1cm) sidewall cuts on relatively new tyres before with standard tube patches and then used them tubeless for a year+ after.

if the cut is big and messy/long you could sew it shut with dental floss or nylon thread and then patch the inside and run with a tube.

Or you can cut the tyres up and use them to make a boot scraper for the back door. Or chew toys for the dog. Or just bin them.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Smaller cuts I've also had success with regular tube patches, does bulge a little bit so stitching with some strong thread would probably be beneficial for longer life.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've sewn a few with braided fishing line, tried using tube patches on the inside many times but my tyre sealant seems to make them lift. I have gone to using a big blob of urethane glue on the back of the hole, even that leaks eventually but it's enough for the sealant to take care of it.

moorey

call me Mia
Put them in the shed to repair later, they never get repaired
Confirmed

I now label ‘don’t use’....but I didn’t in the past, and now I don’t know what’s what, so I never use them still.

Big cuts? Bin them. Buy decent tyres.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It's been a while but I have had good results with using loctite super glue on the slit and then putting a inner tube patch on the inside. The slashes were no longer than 10mm long. Lasted the rest of the life of the tyre.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Thanks for the replys. The DHF is toast I reckon with a full thickness 20mm+ slash. The Aggressor has a partial thickness slash with some penetration into the casing that sealant initially sealed then let go, so I'm going to hit that with some super glue and an inner patch.

Got plenty of braid at home so will have a crack at sewing the DHF together and patching it, more just for shits n giggles.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m keen to hear how you managed this. Like myself, you’re not the most aggressive rider. That said, I do ride/race badly on plenty of very rocky tracks. I’ve put a small cut in one rear but never cut a front, running basically the same tyres.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I slashed the side wall on a near new Michellen rear about a year ago. Couldn’t bare to bin it so ordered some fancy leather making Sewing line and hooks with the full intention of resurrecting it.
That was a year ago and the tire and sewing kit are still sitting there.
Good intentions and all. ....

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
grab some dental floss, get a big ass needle and stitch it up, making sure you rub liberally with rubber cement just as you start, other ting i’ve had luck with is using gorilla tape on the inside of the tyre, h=get the 2” stuff and leave at least 20mm all around, i had one seal fine doing this

LPG

likes thicc birds
Now that I think of it I have repaired a big slice in a tyre using an upholstery curved needle and kevlar thread. I bought the stuff so I could repair a big slice on a bike packing trip if required and decided to see how it worked. It looked ok, the tyre is still in the shed just like if I didn't repair it.