What do you eat before you ride?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bananas. Can't go wrong with bananas. Full of magnesium too.
Which is pretty much my smoothie blend. Bananas + spinach + other random crap - usually carrot, apple/pear to sweeten and a spoonful of hemp powder just to give it a bit more body and make it more filling.

Word of warning though, high sugar stuff like fruits on an empty stomach usually make you very hungry quickly due to the sugar spike.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Which is pretty much my smoothie blend. Bananas + spinach + other random crap - usually carrot, apple/pear to sweeten and a spoonful of hemp powder just to give it a bit more body and make it more filling.

Word of warning though, high sugar stuff like fruits on an empty stomach usually make you very hungry quickly due to the sugar spike.
They sound good, but a lot of effort for me. A banana can be rammed down my gob while getting changed. I certainly agree they're not enough on an empty stomach though. Good for when you get home after work and go for a ride before dinner. Plus I never get indigestion from bananas.

DMan

Interesting... I always get a stitch if i eat before a ride, so most mornings have to head out with an empty stomach.. Ok for an hour, but then hit a massive wall.. Might try this Chlorophyll drink?
Try giving it more time between when you eat and ride. I like to wait at least 45mins to an hour. And try not to eat a large amount or high fat/ carbs. I get a stitch sometimes too but find mine is more related to drinking too much fluid too fast. But I'd be really interested if anyone have an opinion on what to do about the "stitch". A useful opinion..

Last edited:

camoshop

Banned
They sound good, but a lot of effort for me. A banana can be rammed down my gob while getting changed. I certainly agree they're not enough on an empty stomach though. Good for when you get home after work and go for a ride before dinner. Plus I never get indigestion from bananas.
plus 1 for bannanas i take one with me usually and have it mid way into a decent ride.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
But I'd be really interested if anyone have an opinion on what to do about the "stitch". A useful opinion..
Your either eating too much food or eating to close to activity, AIS guidelines are a meal 3-4 hours prior to activity or smaller portions closer to activity. SO an early morning ride, a decent breakfast is not optimal inless you like eating at 4am.

The issue is is you fill your gut up, gastic emptying slows down and the food sits in there longer - inregards to a stitch, I have ever seen anything conclusive to what a stitch is, but it may be a ligament like structures that hold the stomach in position getting stretched under the load of a full stomach during activity. I've dissected a few cadavers and not been able to find this elusive structure that may cause a stitch. But it certainly only seems to occur with a full or near full (fluid or solids) stomach.

AIS guidelines - very good evidence and practical experience.
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/competition_and_training/eating_before_exercise

DMan

Your either eating too much food or eating to close to activity, AIS guidelines are a meal 3-4 hours prior to activity or smaller portions closer to activity. SO an early morning ride, a decent breakfast is not optimal inless you like eating at 4am.

The issue is is you fill your gut up, gastic emptying slows down and the food sits in there longer - inregards to a stitch, I have ever seen anything conclusive to what a stitch is, but it may be a ligament like structures that hold the stomach in position getting stretched under the load of a full stomach during activity. I've dissected a few cadavers and not been able to find this elusive structure that may cause a stitch. But it certainly only seems to occur with a full or near full (fluid or solids) stomach.

AIS guidelines - very good evidence and practical experience.
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/competition_and_training/eating_before_exercise
I've read that. It is good factsheet. I don't tend to eat a lot for breakfast before a ride but like it says maybe it's still not enough time. I've always thought for me if it's if I drink too much fluid too fast. Especially on hot days when you're thirsty.

stirk

Burner
Try giving it more time between when you eat and ride. I like to wait at least 45mins to an hour. And try not to eat a large amount or high fat/ carbs. I get a stitch sometimes too but find mine is more related to drinking too much f.luid too fast. But I'd be really interested if anyone have an opinion on what to do about the "stitch". A useful opinion..
My stitches were always lower right side abdomen. I probably drink too much water too, maybe we should subscribe to johhny's zero hydration method.

What I did effectively to manage a stitch when I felt it encroaching was to stomach breathe, i.e. draw a large breath into your lungs but rather than expand chest expand your stomach outwards like you are pretending to be pregnant.

This really worked for me to make the stitch go away while continuing to ride and now I find myself periodically stomach breathing without thinking too much about it and very very rarely get stitches.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
3 whole fried chickens, and some dry white toast.
Brilliant.

I drink one of those up and go's before heading out on a ride. Occasionally, i'll burp a bit of it up if i'm too vigorous on the bike too quickly, but otherwise pretty good

DMan

My stitches were always lower right side abdomen. I probably drink too much water too, maybe we should subscribe to johhny's zero hydration method.

What I did effectively to manage a stitch when I felt it encroaching was to stomach breathe, i.e. draw a large breath into your lungs but rather than expand chest expand your stomach outwards like you are pretending to be pregnant.

This really worked for me to make the stitch go away while continuing to ride and now I find myself periodically stomach breathing without thinking too much about it and very very rarely get stitches.
That's certainly worth a try!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Breakfast is two or three slices of toast, with peanut butter, jam, honey or whatever related stuff is in the cupboard (not all together on the one bit of bread!) & a large coffee.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Who doesn't mate. Who doesn't....
I find the old pink pie pre-ride leaves me unbalanced and weary. I prefer to eat my fill of that post ride...when the appetite is grande!

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'll eat it any time its offered!

DMan

I find the old pink pie pre-ride leaves me unbalanced and weary. I prefer to eat my fill of that post ride...when the appetite is grande!

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'll eat it any time its offered!

I always ride better when I'm relaxed.