What does your day look like?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That's a wrap on ignition, what a spectacular weekend
I mean, I always rave about it anyway, but I really needed this and the MTB gods provided. The weather was awesome, low 20s and nothing but sunshine the whole time. The trails were mint, and they added some new stuff that really fleshed out the runs from the summit.

Skyline - fast flow trail, lots of speed on the lower rollers, very approachable blue trail. Summit to bottom of flowtown.

Heavy metal - flow again, but more like cascades. Need to be a bit more switched on because there's a few off camber and tight bits that'll get you off guard if you're going a little too hard. Aquaduct to middle of flowtown.

Downtown - joins middle of heavy metal to fast section of skyline. This is perfection, take a bit of everything in one run and string it all together, climaxing (yes) with some insane speed in the skyline/flowtown rollers.
Take thunderbolt to aquaduct, aquaduct to heavy metal, heavy metal to downtown, downtown to skyline, skyline to flowtown, flowtown to climax

Fuck it, I'm all in on these skinnier flow trails. They just feel good

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I mean, I always rave about it anyway, but I really needed this and the MTB gods provided. The weather was awesome, low 20s and nothing but sunshine the whole time. The trails were mint, and they added some new stuff that really fleshed out the runs from the summit.

Skyline - fast flow trail, lots of speed on the lower rollers, very approachable blue trail. Summit to bottom of flowtown.

Heavy metal - flow again, but more like cascades. Need to be a bit more switched on because there's a few off camber and tight bits that'll get you off guard if you're going a little too hard. Aquaduct to middle of flowtown.

Downtown - joins middle of heavy metal to fast section of skyline. This is perfection, take a bit of everything in one run and string it all together, climaxing (yes) with some insane speed in the skyline/flowtown rollers.
Take thunderbolt to aquaduct, aquaduct to heavy metal, heavy metal to downtown, downtown to skyline, skyline to flowtown, flowtown to climax

You have me so frothed for my visit this Friday!

Jpez

Down on the left!

So all the new trails are flow?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So all the new trails are flow?
Rollers and berms galore, very little in the way of rocks and roots, fast. Yeah I don't think you could call them anything else

There's some breaking of the flow in small sections, but for the most they're just slightly different rollercoasters. Took me 3 days and nearly 100km of descending to absolutely not be sick of it and will happily pay to play on them again. I actually did think at first that maybe they should have made another techy descent from the top, but then realised I probably would have hit it once then kept on going back to the comfort food riding on the flow trails.

Making an accessible blue trail fun for most skill levels isn't going to be easy and I think the "flow" style nails this pretty well. With a little practice, kids can roll down this sort of trail at a mild pace with little risk, or older kids can absolutely fly down them popping off berms and rollers and coming mm from disaster on the rocks and trees around it. I know there's probably going to be some disappointment about that, but the shit eating grins and the near constant queues of people rolling down these all weekend kinda validates the building

Jpez

Down on the left!
Rollers and berms galore, very little in the way of rocks and roots, fast. Yeah I don't think you could call them anything else

There's some breaking of the flow in small sections, but for the most they're just slightly different rollercoasters. Took me 3 days and nearly 100km of descending to absolutely not be sick of it and will happily pay to play on them again. I actually did think at first that maybe they should have made another techy descent from the top, but then realised I probably would have hit it once then kept on going back to the comfort food riding on the flow trails.

Making an accessible blue trail fun for most skill levels isn't going to be easy and I think the "flow" style nails this pretty well. With a little practice, kids can roll down this sort of trail at a mild pace with little risk, or older kids can absolutely fly down them popping off berms and rollers and coming mm from disaster on the rocks and trees around it. I know there's probably going to be some disappointment about that, but the shit eating grins and the near constant queues of people rolling down these all weekend kinda validates the building

I have no doubt that they created many grins but with the terrain and chunk available to them up there I won’t lie. Personally yeah I find it disappointing that all the new trails are flow trails.
But the fact that they tick all the boxes for the majority doesn’t quite validate it in my eyes.
I love a good flow trail as much as the next person but endless runs down Flowtown was never my idea of a good time. Good fun sure but lacking challenge and progression for myself at least. So I won’t be fangin to get up there.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I have no doubt that they created many grins but with the terrain and chunk available to them up there I won’t lie. Personally yeah I find it disappointing that all the new trails are flow trails.
But the fact that they tick all the boxes for the majority doesn’t quite validate it in my eyes.
I love a good flow trail as much as the next person but endless runs down Flowtown was never my idea of a good time. Good fun sure but lacking challenge and progression for myself at least. So I won’t be fangin to get up there.
I rode Skyline earlier in the year ..It's a 4km 10minute descent with 400+VM...it was fun to ride blind, and 2nd run knowing there was nowhere to die the brakes came off and it was a good blast at speed with the changing surrounds, from alpine rocks, into the snow gums and finishing in the lush ferns.
I probably don't need to rush back, but if I was in the area would probably go ride it and try the other new ones out...
Big fella is the pick of the tracks up there for me, but it's a shame there just isn't the gradient there to have a longer version of it.
There was talks of a new DH track up there a few years ago, with money apparently already approved but I'm wondering if it got used up for these..

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I rode Skyline earlier in the year ..It's a 4km 10minute descent with 400+VM...it was fun to ride blind, and 2nd run knowing there was nowhere to die the brakes came off and it was a good blast at speed with the changing surrounds, from alpine rocks, into the snow gums and finishing in the lush ferns.
I probably don't need to rush back, but if I was in the area would probably go ride it and try the other new ones out...
Big fella is the pick of the tracks up there for me, but it's a shame there just isn't the gradient there to have a longer version of it.
There was talks of a new DH track up there a few years ago, with money apparently already approved but I'm wondering if it got used up for these..
Big Fella is great fun. Falls definitely isn't the most technical or challenging place to ride, but I rate it one of the most beautiful. Great place to spend a day.

The WCDH course and others are still in their masterplan I think but not yet funded.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice morning ride at wylde, didnt see another person the whole time on the trail, got a bit worried at the top as it looked like it was raining on the blue mountains. Got back to the car parked well away from everyone else ready to change of of dusty kit, of course there's a tour bus of grannies parked right beside me having a picnic

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It does seem at first like they've just pandered to a majority, but with the context of the other trails available these do make sense to me at least.

Previously from the summit you had to skirt all the way back around to green trails if you wanted to avoid techy black trails. High voltage, thunderbolt and big fella all need a bit more experience to negotiate than your average blue trail punter might have.

Skyline starts next to high voltage and adds an option from the top and runs all the way down to the bottom of flow. It's a bit more technical up the top but at the end of the day it's not super tricky and offsets the high voltage option well I think.
Heavy metal starts next to wishing well and again gives you a cleaner option to join with flowtown. I wouldn't call wishing well techy, but it's not really flow either. Downtown just joins heavy metal to skyline and lets you avoid the pedally bit in the middle of flowtown.

They've got enough terrain to work with so I'm sure they can add some janky rocky bits down the line. For now I think they've rounded things off nicely for most of us. If the next 3 trails built are blue grade flow trails I'd definitely get your angle though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Tranquility destroyed...post school rush.

VID20231120153834_exported_293026~3.jpg

I've started trying to whip out to the right recently. The full rigid bike twist seems to work better than swinging the back end, which is my technique for whipping left.

Plenty of the Sendy label on full display for you @ozzybmx. It's a definite weak point on their shorts. They could be looser as well!

VID20231120151750_exported_368116~3.jpg

Was really struggling to find the flatness on these today!

VID20231120152109_exported_346297~2.jpg

And this was a whole bunch of near death. Attempted to whip it and tabletop it simultaneously. It just felt like a wobbly nose dive.