What helmet do you use and why do you like it?

virgin321

Likes Dirt
fox rampage. It fits my head well while most others don't. It has a clip buckle instead of one of those d ring systems so its really easy to do up. its not to lairy.

micko01

Likes Bikes
Stick with the flux.

I've had a couple now and they fit well, ventilate well and offer better protection around the back of your skull then the majority of helmets on the market.

FoxXx

Likes Bikes
Indeed the Flux is a magic machine for XC and Commuting :D but for DJ i wouldnt go past my Protec the BMX one not the just shell Skate one :p and for DH the pride of 661 Strike it has saved my life 3 times now and aint quit on me yet :p

scrubzy

Squid
I have a specialized helmet now but all the pads are starting to wear off, so I'm saving to get a Troy Lee designs full face.

Dave66

Cannon Fodder
Hey Yorto are you happy with your Magma?

I've done a bit of research as I am looking for a helmet with great airflow as I seem to suffer from hot head a lot while racing. ( probably a dehydration thing) Anyways, seem keen on the Magma at the moment.

Dave.

poita

Likes Dirt
First of all, sorry for the SERIOUS thread gravedigging.

Secondly, interested to hear a more recent conversation about what helmets people are running and why they like them. I ride mostly XC stuff but have been through 2 helmets in the last 2 months (I know I need to think about my riding style:attention:) and am wondering what people are using and why.

Thus far I have been recommended MET and GIRO helmets (the XAR specifically). Has anyone had much experience with the MET crash replacement scheme? I have been using skate style helmets but feel like a change.

frensham

Likes Dirt
I recently purchased a Limar 777 road helmet (I hate visors). It weighs 230 g and has 24 vents. It is beautifully comfortable on my head, so much so that on occasion I have forgotten to take it off. The adjustment system is superb and can be fine tuned. RRP is $130 but most shops have them for around $90. If you are riding XC put it on your short list. Oh, by the way, Limar have a 2 year warranty and a 3 year crash replacement program (50% off the cost of a replacement).

driftking

Wheel size expert
Helmets need to reach te aus standard to be sold here so you can be certain they protect you.
Albeit some may surpass the standard more than others the point is that they pass them.

For a helmet to work you want it to fit so go with fit, this will be the best measure.
From there the money increase will start rising with ventilation and weigh/composition and of course brand name.

Few things to keep in mind
Neckbraces need compatible helmets so consider that if you have one.

I use a tld d2 right now but it needs to be replaced it is super comfortable and you can tell. I have tried on mates 661 and they fit well but they don't have the same quality of comfort. Well they might now been a while.

I'm getting a tld d3 or a spec dissident next, probably the dissident.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I have a Limar Xmtb (?) I think it's called. It is super light, and very comfy. I have a kid sized head and can still adjust it small enough. About a billion vents, and it has a piece of fabric on the chin strap to hold the excess strap and be softer on the chin, which it is. The only thing I'd complain about is the fact it's so light I think it would be stuffed after one stack. There's no outer shell, just a layer of paint.

Otherwise I ride a Pro-Tec B2 (the big Goomba looking ones) because it's the best, really. ;) It can take multiple stacks (they say three non shell cracking). I've fallen many times, but don't recall ever hitting my head. It's lasted three years now with minor transport scratches and only just needs the pads replaced. It's very warm, but I feel safer in it.

landy_man

Likes Dirt
got a new lid a few weeks ago..

went in to buy a Lazer Oazis.. didn't like it.. bought a new Lazer Nirvana instead.. not quite as AM as the Oazis.. but I don't really care.. I just wanted comfy, light and ventilated.. the Nirvana is fantastic..

this was to replace a Flux btw..

dej

Likes Bikes
Lazer o2 - it's probably the most comfortable helmet i've owned (previous was a lazer magma and prior to that was a met something or other)
Also own a 661 recon which i find quite uncomfortable, bought it online from tbsm which was a mistake (not buying from tbsm, but buying before trying). I do wear it now and then but find it gives me a bit of a headache

markb84

Likes Dirt
It seems that Giro are the only company that makes a lid that comfortably fits my big lumpy head. Every other brand I've tried presses on my head and causes pain. I have had about 5-6 giro helmets now every one has done me well.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I wear a Louis Garneau Titanio (funnily enough containing a titanium "roll cage" in its structure). Light, well-vented and the right shape for my skinny head.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
specialized vice - very light, and doesn't look too airy fairy. It's got a nice adjustment dial for getting the fit just right... Even after a haircut. And plenty of vents to put your gopro or lights onto.

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the replies. Rang distributors up to find out stockists and duly visited same stockists to find they were anything but... Normal I guess, "we can get it in for you" doesn't cut it for me anymore.
Anyway, went to my regular lbs and didn't find anything I liked then tried my other regular lbs and bought a fox striker for a good price. Wasn't sure about it but it felt comfy so just bought it. Will ride test it tomorrow!

Sent from my MB526