what injury do i have?

birdie

Likes Dirt
Hey guys i had a stack at the downhill track this afternoon. I landed a jump short and bounced onto my head but luckily my neck brace saved some injury.

After that i felt fine and got back up and kept riding for a minute or two. After that i sat down and had a rest but wen i got back up i found that my groin muscle was in extreme pain and i couldn't walk. And since then (3 hours or so) i still cant walk from pain and it doesn't seem to feel like its getting better. There's no swelling or bruising either and its definitely caused by a stretch or twist, not from an impact.

Has anybody had something like this?
Is this muscle damage, ligament damage? and how long did it take for you to heal.

Thanks!

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't remember the medical term I was given, but a few years ago I put my hip into a rock in a crash. Felt OK to begin with, then just lost all movement of it and wasn't able to walk, agony after a bit.

Anyway what happened was I damaged a muscle cluster in my hip. It froze up and disengaged after a while. No physical difference in my body, no bruising or swelling. Seems similar to what you're experiencing. With immobilization it returned to normal after 1.5-2 weeks.

0psi

Eats Squid
Sounds like similar symptoms to death by snoo snoo.

I once spent a night with Scarlett Johansson and suffered damage to the blood vessels in my groin which led to temporary paralysis.

A GP will be able to confirm my diagnosis.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Sounds a lot like a groin strain - a muscle tear to the adductors - usually magnus.

If this is what it is, healing time greatly varies depending on exact location and size of tear, frequently healing takes months or even years (with frequent re injury to that area). A GP is the starting place to go, or a good sports physio if you can find one.
Also sounds like the classic neck brace placebo effect :behindsofa:

birdie

Likes Dirt
Sounds a lot like a groin strain - a muscle tear to the adductors - usually magnus.

If this is what it is, healing time greatly varies depending on exact location and size of tear, frequently healing takes months or even years (with frequent re injury to that area). A GP is the starting place to go, or a good sports physio if you can find one.
Also sounds like the classic neck brace placebo effect :behindsofa:
Yeah thats true about the neck brace, but i did write off my helmet with a big cut up the side this time so surely its done something
Anyway thanks, ill have to see a sports physio for work then

indica

Serial flasher
Yeah thats true about the neck brace, but i did write off my helmet with a big cut up the side this time so surely its done something
As did the bird that flew past at the time...

Seriously though, it would be the brace that caused the injury, they can transfer the energy to where Scarlett normally would be.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Its impossible to diagnose online really even for an expert.
You have pain In groin.......could be lots of things. See a gp.

I'm a massive fan of neck braces but you can't actually prove the brace did anything. They reduce some movement of the head Which may result in less injury chance but its impossible to prove if it would have caused or stopped one. Hence why so much debate is had on the effectiveness of neck braces.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Neck Brace...LOL....

For a neck brace to be effective, it needs to be set up to limit movement... Minimal gap between helmet and brace.. Most riders(not necessarily you) have the brace set up with massive gap between helmet and brace, thus limiting their effectiveness..

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep think I read somewhere it only takes 15mm of compression to put you in a wheelchair, so for the brace to be effective the gap between helmet and brace needs to be less than that. This makes it an awkward set up to ride with, hence most guys not having a the correct set up.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Yep think I read somewhere it only takes 15mm of compression to put you in a wheelchair, so for the brace to be effective the gap between helmet and brace needs to be less than that. This makes it an awkward set up to ride with, hence most guys not having a the correct set up.
Yep there was a article in AMB where they focused on this.

While the brace will help prevent hyper extensions in all directions. The most serious injuries come from a compressive force where you compress the vertebrate, of which it takes as little as 15mm for this to happen (as stated in the article). Unless you are running the brace with a compatible helmet and with the brace set up correctly to prevent compressive forces the brace cannot be guaranteed to work. Keep in mind the brace is there to reduce injury it cannot 100% prevent it, but it does help improve our chances of walking away without a neck injury.

Also note that generally having it set up isn't an issue, usually those who find it uncomfortable have poor vision techniques and tend to look too far down rather than up at the trail.