What is a good Derailleur for downhill??

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
hey guys, iv noticed my derailleur has nearly sh*t itself so im wondering what derailleur would be the best for downhill..:confused: and also if i get a new derailleur should i get a new chain etc? or can i just use the chain i have now..

all help would be much appreciated

cheers

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you have a 9 speed chain you will be fine. Make sure your chain and cassete are in good working order by either taking it into a qualified bycycle shop or simply by twisting the chain. if it can be rolled over so the side is up, then it needs replacing. Good budget Downhill derailleur's include srams x7 and x9. Although if you are looking for some prescise shifting swag then go no further than a sram x0 or a shimano xtr. Although you will probably need to replace your shifter to match this setup ;)

cluster

Likes Dirt
hey guys, iv noticed my derailleur has nearly sh*t itself so im wondering what derailleur would be the best for downhill..:confused: and also if i get a new derailleur should i get a new chain etc? or can i just use the chain i have now..

all help would be much appreciated

cheers
Just get a Sram X9, they work great and aren't too pricey... I'm running an XO at the moment but have had X9 deraillers a few times and had no trouble whatsoever with any of them. As for the chain, you should be fine to continue using the one you've got now (unless it's really shagged)

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
alright mate thanks for that, just tried rolling the chain off and it didnt roll off just moved a tad, might have a look at those derailleurs :D

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and is it better to get a short cage derailleur or is medium alright for downhill?
If you have a single ring up front and a casset no larger than 26-11 you will be fine with a short cage. But if you have a tripple or dual ring front mech and a large range xc cassete then you will need to get a medium or long cage derailleur.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate go short cage Saint all the way!

All of these XC derailleurs get busted in no time. They shift great, but 1 decent hit on a rock and there toast.

Saint shift well, are a shadow design so stay out of the way more, are arguably stronger and also don’t cost the earth like XO or XTR which are feather-weight XC designs.

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
ok just counted the teeth on the casset and i counted like about 40 teeth or something?! on the largest gear? o.o so does that mean i need a medium cage?

niki125

Likes Dirt
How many rings do you have on the front and what teeth range do you have on the back ( what's the smallest cog and what's the largest)?
That's the 2 questions you need to answer to know how long of a cage you'll need.

Saint is great, much tougher than anything else and shifts pretty dam well.

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
How many rings do you have on the front and what teeth range do you have on the back ( what's the smallest cog and what's the largest)?
That's the 2 questions you need to answer to know how long of a cage you'll need.

Saint is great, much tougher than anything else and shifts pretty dam well.
ok i have the 1 ring up the front and the teeth range on the back is.. 35-11 ?

RMS116

Likes Dirt
your better off going with saint derallier as they sit in alot closer to the frame, tougher and easier to tune

chris95

Likes Dirt
i run a x-9 short cage on a 36 front ring and biggest ring on cassete is 32, had no problems, and my mate also runs a x-9 short cage with a 36 tooth front and 34 biggest on the cassete. So I wouldnt go more than 34 on the rear. And i dont think you can get a 40 tooth casset on the rear??? So your 35 tooth might be pushing with a short cage, but deffs get a x-9, very strong and smooth shifting

rone

Eats Squid
The cassette stack size has no bearing on whether you run short or medium cage derailleurs. I run a short cage Saint/11-34 setup on 2 bikes no worries. Go Saint. Stiffer spring, shadow design and smooth shifting. Run mid if you have double rings up front or are running a suspension platform with large amounts of chain growth. Shimano Saint FTW.

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
The cassette stack size has no bearing on whether you run short or medium cage derailleurs. I run a short cage Saint/11-34 setup on 2 bikes no worries. Go Saint. Stiffer spring, shadow design and smooth shifting. Run mid if you have double rings up front or are running a suspension platform with large amounts of chain growth. Shimano Saint FTW.
alright mate, yeh i was looking at a saint, but if i get a saint does that mean i need a new gear stick thing (can't remember what there called)

spydh

Squid
shifters is the word your looking for i think!
go sram X0 mate saint is poo, that was the first thing i changed on my glory 00