What is the lamest story for the most damage to your bike?

bardles

Likes Dirt
Riding through grass (recently mown) at the pony club - accumulating the grass in my rear chain stuff until it snapped my hanger off and bent my derailleur almost beyond recognition.

Very unimpressed with the 10km push home.

Brad

Jimass

Eats Squid
Hahaha that sucks. Where about exactly?

Me?

Four inches off the ground= dead spokes+deraileur...

Lots of other crap like that..

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was just testing something to do with my back wheel being out of line.
Whacked the rear wheel of my bike onto the ground (HT) a few times to see if it would screw up the alignment.
Screwed up the rear derailure tuning somehow? :confused:
Luckily i could re-tune it but wtf, how did that make it need to be re-tuned!

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
I once turned a corner at 35 km/h with my inside foot in front. Inevitably I lost four spokes, a shoe, and a lot of skin.

I did the old road-side true, and rode home 15 km with front brakes firmly on.

I hated my life that day.

bellto

Likes Dirt
riding in flood water, my friend and i went into a drain with heaps of water, like a small river, it was over our front hubs, the current was too strong to get out, the water pinned us up against a bridge, i bailed and let my bike float towards death, my friend stayed pinned to the bridge now with 2 bikes stuck on his legs, i had to pull him up onto the bridge. as it was a low foot bridge, the bike rubbed up against the concrete on his stauntions for a while before we lost it in flood water for about an hour. we found mine straight away.
another time, the same friend had his bike on the car (super cheap auto style bike wrack, not designed for 40 kgs of dh bikes) with mine. his fell off doing around 80k/ms but mine stayed on.
ironically my bike is always inches from his when his gets absolutley raped and mine come away relativley unharmed

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going big on a 4x track in Adelaide on my Norco shore, tried to clear 2 jumps, made it but in the process broke my hanger, got my derailier sucked into my deemax, ripped out the rear wheel and bent my swing arm... I have since sold the bike.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't bother fixing a buckle in my rear wheel, tyre rub ended up chewing right through my rear swingarm until it snapped. Smart.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
i was stretching my quad while taking a break in a ride and i let go of my foot to put it down and kicked out to shake my leg a little, kicked my wheel and snapped a spoke. lame

RealizE

Likes Bikes
The outer dust seal on my RP3 came out, so I tried tapping it back in with a centre punch (tap tap chink). 3 weeks and $200 dollars later I got my shock back with a new shaft :p

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
riding in flood water, my friend and i went into a drain with heaps of water, like a small river, it was over our front hubs, the current was too strong to get out, the water pinned us up against a bridge, i bailed and let my bike float towards death, my friend stayed pinned to the bridge now with 2 bikes stuck on his legs, i had to pull him up onto the bridge. as it was a low foot bridge, the bike rubbed up against the concrete on his stauntions for a while before we lost it in flood water for about an hour. we found mine straight away.
hahaha, similar thing happened to me, but no bike damage or loss, rode into what I thought was 1" deep water, came up to my waist (while on a high seated XC bike, I'm 6"6' so that gives you an idea of how big/high my bike was), current was ridiculous, so was the drag. Had to granny gear that shit for about 20m, took me over 5 minutes and the lactic acid burn when I got out made me spew. Wasn't sure what would have happened if I'd hopped off with falling over etc..having a fair amount of valuables in my bag and all didn't help.

Bad. Don't ride through flood water, even if you know the passage underneath, it still could be brutally tough and deep!!

Another time I watched a guy as he proceeded to "lube" his chain with WD-40, he also accidently lubed up his rotor which I didn't see haha, fool. Then we went out, the hill right next to his place goes down at a nice angle, but it's only a shortcut to the trails, and is really grassy.
*puts on back brake; nothing*
*puts on front brake to compensate back brake's lack of brake; over the bars and rolled about 10m getting totally coated in grass and shit*

Then his bike came to party, with his head, 4 stitches later he decided WD-40 wasn't good to lubing bikes.

So good.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
all mine have involved anger!

bent 3 sets of cranks from throwing my bike, snapped a truvativ poly bashguard by kicking it (fuck it hurt my foot).

multiple deralieurs, and 3 shifters.

luckily no brake levers.

you feel so stupid afterwards, not only do you make a fool of yoru self by getting angry and throwing yoru bike, but you feel even worse when you break it :(

bardles

Likes Dirt
Hahaha that sucks. Where about exactly?

Me?

Four inches off the ground= dead spokes+deraileur...

Lots of other crap like that..

Was just riding past Southport trying to look for something to ride when I saw the pony club - thought it might have something in it. Didn't.

Just the other day I was pretty much walking my bike to the front gate of my place when all of a sudden i hear a cluck in the rear end. I look down to see my caliper caught in my rear wheel, an 8 inch disk bent beyond repair and a broken brake hanger. This would have been awesome if i was pinning it down a hill and had broken bones to make it sound good but I couldnt have been going slower.