What size downhill bike should I get?

snuke

Cannon Fodder
Hi Guys, looking to buy my first downhill bike and was wondering what size bike I should be looking at. I'm about 6ft and weigh about 87kg. There seems to be plenty of 2nd hand medium bikes around but I'm thinking a large would probably be more suitable. Been to a few shops and have been told a medium would be OK but others have said definitely large. Don't know what to believe. Any advice is much appreciated. Cheers, Adam.

Luke.Z

Likes Bikes
a large would be much more comfortable. i'm about the same height and have ridden xl's that felt pretty good size wise. large would be the go for sure though.

dunndog

Eats Squid
You'd want a large at 6ft. Check the sizing of the bike you're keen on, if they come in 4 sizes then the medium will be pretty small, even if they come in 3, i'd be going the large. Personal preference, but I think these days with weights coming down and geo getting dialled in, to days large isn't the mega mass of runaway steel it used to be.

captainmorgan

Likes Dirt
I think it comes down to personal preference. I'm 6 foot and have always ridden small or medium DH bikes as I prefer the feel of them. You don't need to worry as much for sizing on a DH bike, like you would on a XC bike. You'd be fine on a medium.

Wilzoh

Squid
im 6ft 3 1/2 and i ride a medium giant glory, i find the smaller bike alot easier to throw around but you definitely lose pedal power if the bikes too small for you

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm 6ft 4" and would not dream of riding anything under a large. I've had Giant Glory's in the past and can say that the large frame pre 2013 was a good fit but after sitting on a 2014 Glory the weekend just passed I can say that it felt like a small and I could not ride it. Try the bike before you buy it!

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I am 6'4", 95kg and I currently have a Giant DH Comp Medium.

I find this fine for what I need, but my next bike will definitely be a large.

So if you are on the hunt, I would say a large unless you find a mega awesome happy time deal on a medium and then go and sit on it before commiting to by as there is a bit of wriggle room between bikes/brands when it comes to the term "medium".

Good luck.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Its impossible to say. The model of the bike has a massive effect due to design

Find out what bike/bikes your lookin at then come back here and let us all know, I'd suspect most bikes you will fit on a large although some you may fit a medium and than there's the personal factor some guys like slightly larger or smaller bikes.

snuke

Cannon Fodder
Thanks

Thanks Guys, some helpful information. I'm looking to buy a second hand bike for around $1000, so not too much coin. I'll just have to get out and ride around on a few and find something that feels comfy and at the right price. I'll let you know how I get on when I find one.