What trail features do you want/need to get better at

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
What have you been doing differently?
Slower in was the main one. Making sure I drop inside hand more to lean bike in flatter corners etc. Then got my confidence back to be more agressive again. Spent a good while over doing the basics to retrain my brain.

Room to improve but I am feeling much more under control. Coaching would help further I reckon but don't know if I can be bothered racing this season.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I’d like to get better at everything and I think a better awareness of more effecient body positioning would help me.

My biggest problem is my enthusiasm exceeds my skills.;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No we would not.
Do phone doesn't like gnar...keeps telling me I need gear. Both might be true.

Speaking of truth; as a very recreational rider who doesn't pursue the extreme, I wouldn't be upset too much if the dh trail wasn't as "worked" as it has been. Provided that the textural improvements are complimented by sweeeeeeeet obstacles that require technical and testicle commitment. We don't need more cycleways on dirt.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Corners is what I am activelyworking on right now. Had to really focus on a technique change to up my exit speed. Feeling good lately.
Me too. Corner speed and stopping the front wheel washing out... Less of the leaning with the bike and staying more upright - ie banished shitty habits!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I go alright with leaning the bike not the body, but for some stupid reason I generally turn my hips away from the corner. When I remember to point them where I want to go, and get the bike leant over, it all works so well. I suspect it's a subconcious fear thing, because by the end of a shuttle day the hips are doing what they're meant to without even having to try to.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Speaking of truth; as a very recreational rider who doesn't pursue the extreme, I wouldn't be upset too much if the dh trail wasn't as "worked" as it has been. Provided that the textural improvements are complimented by sweeeeeeeet obstacles that require technical and testicle commitment. We don't need more cycleways on dirt.
I’m with you on that! I’ve not ridden Thredbo but every video i see of the Flow trail portrays it as fast featureless and every bend bermed! Not my cup of tea. Maybe it’s better than it appears?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Slower in was the main one. Making sure I drop inside hand more to lean bike in flatter corners etc. Then got my confidence back to be more agressive again. Spent a good while over doing the basics to retrain my brain.

Room to improve but I am feeling much more under control. Coaching would help further I reckon but don't know if I can be bothered racing this season.
A wee tap of the brakes on the way in is a useful move. Followed by a powerful stomping as you rise out of the corner. There's a particular corner here that is a big sweeping left that lines you up for 2 reasonable sized step downs. If you don't take the corner fast enough the jumps will catch you out.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everything, but the big ones are jumps in general, technical climbing - especially cornering up around obstacles, picking lines through rock gardens and stitchig together multiple corners without completely losing speed (bottom of Comm Games at Lysterfield is a good example of where I struggle on this)

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Switchbacks on the downhill. I want to be able to do a stoppie turn but I'm afraid of going OTB and I'm not an ambi-turner.
Speaking of which, I can rail left turn berms on the pump track but not right turns. I need to work on that too.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Switchbacks on the downhill. I want to be able to do a stoppie turn but I'm afraid of going OTB and I'm not an ambi-turner.
Speaking of which, I can rail left turn berms on the pump track but not right turns. I need to work on that too.
You’ll get there. Maybe you should try to assassinate the prime rib of Micronesia. Worked for Zoolander;)

I think I'm more chance of riding all of the Thredbo dh trail than the awaba dh

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I had a cornering lesson main point was to stay off seat, keep body upright ,weight outside foot and lean bike over .
For those that ski its a bit like edging on ice.
when all else fails or the downhill corner is v tight I use the back brake to skid a bit !!!!

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Sorry yes 50% chance I'd get it wrong.
Was trying to imagine it . He had us pushing the handlebars across to tip the bike.
Super tight corners pushing weight back helps.
We rode some v tight donkey track rocky switch backs with exposure with the inside foot + leg out like an outrigger to balance.

Last edited: