What would be your descision?

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
Y,all
I have just been told I need another knee reco, no drama in that itself but here is the question. As I will be out of dh for approx9-12 months, should I sell my beloved bike for cash on hand now and buy again later, or have the pain of seeing it sit there unused for a long time?

The cash on hand is not the issue, so that's not a deciding factor and the enemy has said I can buy again in the future.

Just would like to know what others would do.

Turn it up to ten and rip the knob off

New bike

I'd sell it and start fresh again when your ready. It will remove the temptation to get back on the bike before you are ready and you'll also get a new bike

driftking

Wheel size expert
I agree, out of sight out of mind, it will stop the pain of seeing an unused bike everyday.
On the flip side it offers great motivation in the recovery process and might just help stay focused.
I think it will depend on the situation, if you are not going to get what the bike is worth then don't sell it, for instance I have a old 07 Fr glory that while i no longer ride I will also probably get like <1000k for it as they are just not wanted so it isn't worth selling as i can still use it for FR stuff or a bike for a mate if they ever decide to come ride.
At the moment with my current ride i would keep it purely because it is a 2011 commencal and that frame design is no longer in production and the thing suits me like a fitted glove. If you don't mind changing your bike up or if you are able to still get the same model bike (although may be newer and improved) than selling it probably isn't a issue as you can always get back on a bike you know you feel good on.

As you mentioned money isn't a concern and while I have heard it is bad for bikes to sit there been unused they still do so in bike stores without issues. If you do decide to keep the bike I would suggest for a long period like that, give it a strip down and clean it so its like a new bike, although this will be a pain it will keep it clean and make sure nothing starts to cause damage. Also keeping it in a clean dry place is going to be important.

finksta

Likes Dirt
I had the same problem about 2 years ago when I had a badly broken hand. I sold up and got myself some new wheels when I'd healed, makes getting back on the bike that bit more exciting

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I would sell and start new.

Get your cash today and then work twd designing your new Ferrari of DH, eliminate every little tweak you did not like and when you are ready your reward will be a brand spanking new DH machine, just like a new girlfriend it will be most yummy.

You have 9-12mths to make her real.

Best of luck.

mason33

Likes Dirt
Maybe sell the DH bike and when the time is right get into XC... It's less punishing on the body and will build muscle along with helping in the rehabilitation process. That's what I would do anyway, depends on what sought of priority DH is in your life, I know I wouldn't put it ahead of my future mobility.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sell*

*but buy a cheap hardtail or similar to help with the rehab process a few months down the track. I have been through a few larger "off" times in the past (not as long as thi)s and found the dh bike to be way too tempting but just getting out for a gentle spin was enough to get my bike fix and keep me stoked. Plus the limitations of a hardtail kept me in check as I was nearing recovery.

MARKL

Eats Squid
What a horrible decision to have to make. I have to say I am somebody who struggles with selling gear - especially complete bikes.

If you were planning on a change I would sell...maybe...who am I kidding? Keep the bike and start building a new project!

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK... another spin on the issue...

Seriously - get a LARS ligament put in your knee and get on with life. I got a LARS ACL replacement last year, and was surfing after 4 weeks and riding DH within 6 weeks. Fark - I was shedding in Whistler 8 weeks after the operation and it felt bombproof. And it still feels bombproof now.

I know a lot of the surgeons aren't into LARS. But you'll struggle to find a poor review from anyone who has had the operation done.

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
i had a lars/gortex synthetic on my other knee when it was all brand new, about 7 years ago, and whilst i was back on the bike and the rugby field in a rediculously short time, like 3.5 months, it is no longer holding up too good and may need replacing. i discussed it with my surgeon and, your right, all good news for rapid recovery etc but for long term effectiveness( 10 years down the line) cant beat snipping out those hammies.

The lars was designed with pro atheletes in mind to get them back on the park quicker and then when they retire they are loaded so they can get it all redone. i cant unfortunately.

i see what you mean about getting back quicker it is so tempting to get it done.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
hang on to it

I cant help but think (play it safe) to hang onto your bike just incase your situation changes and you cant buy/build a rig to the same standard you currently have. The situation can change anytime - you know that. Perhaps if you love the frame you can spend your recovery time upgrading parts. After my last knee op I was encouraged to get back on the bike and get it moving/tracking properly (stationary bike at first). Do you have a XC/trail bike? There are so many great frames/bikes/deals secondhand - perhaps you can build up a cool bike for chilled recovery rides in a few months time. Shopping and peicing a bike together (with time on your side) is a good way to pass the time.
Good luck mate. I see you mentioned Rugby - gee the Reds could use you.
JD

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had a lars/gortex synthetic on my other knee when it was all brand new, about 7 years ago, and whilst i was back on the bike and the rugby field in a rediculously short time, like 3.5 months, it is no longer holding up too good and may need replacing. i discussed it with my surgeon and, your right, all good news for rapid recovery etc but for long term effectiveness( 10 years down the line) cant beat snipping out those hammies.

The lars was designed with pro atheletes in mind to get them back on the park quicker and then when they retire they are loaded so they can get it all redone. i cant unfortunately.

i see what you mean about getting back quicker it is so tempting to get it done.

Yeah - the long term data is still pretty shaky. I just asked myself the question "what are the chances I'll have another bad fall and blow apart my knee in the next 10 years?". I figured that was about 90%, so went with the LARS...

jumpers

Likes Dirt
I am going thru similar drama - done ligaments in knee, whilst not bad its looking like 3 months off real riding (dh) and surfing.
I have a 2012 reign that only been ridden about 4 times before accident. It is driving me crazy looking at my bike whilst not being able to ride. I cleaned my surfboard up and have left it at sisters place as that drove me crazy also. If money is no issue i would have sold the bike just so didnt have hobble past it everyday.

As others mentioned i have a ht that just started riding on bike paths for rehab....just reinforces how boring road ride is:)

Good luck with recovery, give me broken bones anyday as opposed knee injuries

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id sell or at least the forks and frame but the Aussi dollar could plummet and bikes could triple in price in 12 months .

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Just been through the same dilemma myself and opted to sell the bike which I think was the right move. Even though I was only out of action for 6 months, I was still able to get a good enough price for my old bike to purchase something decent now that I am just about to get back into it. Also, I knew that if I'd had the old rig sitting around I would have been silly and taken it out riding, thus totally slowing down my recovery process. And we all know there's nothing more tedious than riding DH at anything less than full throttle... And it's dangerous...

For my recovery I brought a Stump Jumper, which has enabled me to keep up my riding skills while not taking any recovery inhibiting risks.

MountGower

Likes Dirt
Put a price on the decision. No use chucking the bike away. If you don't get your price, you've still got the bike. Give a lower price some thought and keep going until you can't bear the depreciation or it sells.

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the input and advice guys. Think i made my choice to sell. i still have the trail bike for the rcovery process and will keep that and start saving for a new rig. Wrong place i know but there will be a fully loaded zerode G1 for sale in the next few weeks if anyone is interested.

John U

MTB Precision
Keep it. When you're ready to get back in it is there wating for you and if you feel like a change is required then you can poach bits from for a custom build.

It costs a lot to ditch one ride and buy another. Selling now as opposed to when you are ready may not make a huge difference in that cost.