Whats the best beer you've had & why?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know somewhere in the northern sydney area that stock Caffreys? Having trouble finding it... I can get my local bottle'o to order it in but it's pricccceeeeyyy!

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know somewhere in the northern sydney area that stock Caffreys? Having trouble finding it... I can get my local bottle'o to order it in but it's pricccceeeeyyy!
The Little Bottler at Northmead has it in on occasion, I can't remember if it was there the last time I was in there though.
NCR600 said:
Quick question for the beer gurus.

A friend of mine is stuck in the backwoods of Kansas and would love a slab of Coopers or Tooheys old. I've sent single bottles through the post before and they've got through with the appropriate packaging, but I've got buckleys of getting a case through. Anyone know if there's any US importers of Aussie beers she could get some through?

Cheers.
The U.S importer of Coopers last time I checked was;

Priess Imports
P.O. Box 829
Ramona CA, USA
V: +1 (760) 789-6010
F: +1 (760) 789-5461

Hope these help guys.

Last edited:

emcgough

Likes Dirt
Has anybody ever had "Patagonia Premium Ale"? I'm thinking about purchasing some today, but a thumbs up or thumbs down would be good if anyone has sampled it.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Has anybody ever had "Patagonia Premium Ale"? I'm thinking about purchasing some today, but a thumbs up or thumbs down would be good if anyone has sampled it.
I think I tried Patagonia Pale Ale in Canada and though it was fantastic. Memory is fuzzy though.

Give it a go and let us know what you think.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best thing to come out of victoria since the northbound lane of route 1.

The Local Taphouse. Darlinghurst.

I spent quite a few hours there today, twenty fine ales and not a hint of a New or VB tap anywhere. Check it out, it is well worth the time. 122 Flinders St.

There are sampling paddles for those not sure of what to try but there's something for everyone, and finally a pub that serves Landlord, albeit in a bottle.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, pretty jealous actually Fatman. Closest thing to a nice beer on tap at my local is Cooper's Pale.

Also, that 40oz beer was a serious question. I can only assume you work in the Alcohol Industry, would you be able to help me out here?

Are they available in Oz, if not how easily can they be imported? Not sure of what I'm after, it's not even a taste thing...I just want to drink out of a 40oz bottle!

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, pretty jealous actually Fatman. Closest thing to a nice beer on tap at my local is Cooper's Pale.

Also, that 40oz beer was a serious question. I can only assume you work in the Alcohol Industry, would you be able to help me out here?

Are they available in Oz, if not how easily can they be imported? Not sure of what I'm after, it's not even a taste thing...I just want to drink out of a 40oz bottle!
I've not seen them here in Australia and even if we did malt liquor is horrible stuff. You could always just pour your beer into any suitable size glass or plastic bottle, I'm still puzzled as to why you would want to though.
I don't know of an importer for them either, I'll check an American product website I know of but I doubt it.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I´m in South America so am sampling the locls brews. Nothing has stood out as amazing yet, mostly because they serve lagers at room temperature.

Cusqueña, a peruvian lager is nice but largely tasteless. The pilsner version is nicer, but still nothing amazing

Cristal, chillean beer has some promise, but it is usually served from a can so tastes like tin and preservative.

Please, can someone recommend me a decent Peruvian or south american beer? The best thing around so far that I can find is heinikken...

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had myself a Mountain Goat Hightail Ale on Friday night with the old man. I've heard alot of good things about this drop (most of which started from sitting at the Lucky Coq {Prahran}, drinking their own, Black Coq), and I can confirm that it's pretty bloody excellent.
Very, very nice scent to it as soon as you open the bottle/pour. Great colour too, think stout mixed with a wheaty, cloudy beer.

I've heard Mountain Goat do a tasting night in Melbourne, where you can drink/score beer real cheap if not for free tastings-sake. Any Melbournians know what the deal is?

Also, Mildura Brewery Mallee Bull 'Heavy'...skip it. Very average beer, and could they copy grain-fed 'Moo Brew' anymore on the label!? Gosh.

skivi

Likes Dirt
i've been frequenting Melbourne's 'The Charles Dicken's' English tavern on Collins St lately.

last nights discovery's:

Old Speckled Hen
9/10 ~ could very happily drink that all night.
English bitter style beer, came in a pint sized bottle, 5.2% ABV, $9 at the bar. amazing fruity flavours but with rich malty undertones, not overly bitter or sweet just a great taste sensation that evolves in your mouth especially at the back of the tongue with the finish, pretty complex flavours but very very enjoyable.

Fat Yak
6.5/10 ~ Matilda Bay Pale Ale, 4.7% and $7 at the bar.
the bar tender recommend me this one, he said it's a bit like the 'Coopers Pale Ale' and the 'Little Creatures Pale Ale' but he actually prefers the Fat Yak. i've had all three and would still rate the coopers best but this was still very nice in it's own way. smelled like a bunch of fresh flowers, absolutely no gross sediment in the bottle. very flavoursome with a strong and sharp citrus punch and honey backing, one of the more complex beers I've had lately, I'd buy it again but just have say one or two on a hot summers night with a nice BBQ dinner. it's a refreshing summers beer to sit and appreciate not knock back like there's no tomorrow, coopers does both.

-nicky

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Nicky... are you serious about Fat Yak smelling like a bunch of flowers? I had one the other day at work, and while I really liked the taste, I thought it smelled like a wet dog.

skivi

Likes Dirt
^ well the thing is it was the last beer i had for the night. i'd been trying beers all night so the previous drink will always provide the platform on which you judge the next drink, i was kinda rowdy by the time i got to the Fat Yak but i'm pretty sure i remember a definite floral/fruity aroma from the bottle. looks like i'll just have to try it again, oh noes!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Nicky... are you serious about Fat Yak smelling like a bunch of flowers? I had one the other day at work, and while I really liked the taste, I thought it smelled like a wet dog.
Haha, it would appear they named it after the first batch was brewed.

I'll have to give it a try.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
^ well the thing is it was the last beer i had for the night. i'd been trying beers all night so the previous drink will always provide the platform on which you judge the next drink, i was kinda rowdy by the time i got to the Fat Yak but i'm pretty sure i remember a definite floral/fruity aroma from the bottle. looks like i'll just have to try it again, oh noes!
Similarly, I will have to do a re-run - I tried it at a tasting session of our new beer/wine list at work, so wasn't really running fresh at the time either.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Awesome. Archibald Simpson's in Aberdeen had a real ale festival over the weekend with all ales priced at £1.45 a pint (that's about 3 bucks!!!)

I got myself all bent on Nelson's Revenge which was a fairly smooth ale that weighed in at 4.8% and Operation Market Garden Hell's Highway (bit of a mouthful that one.) which whilst being a miniscule 3.8% still managed to be incredibly refreshing with absolutely no bitter aftertaste to be found. The fact that it had a photo of a tank on the label also made it a winner!

Unfortunately, however I had to attend a christening that afternoon so I was unable to plough through the rest of the selection but I did hear word of a massive real ale festival at the local football stadium in early june so I'll be in training for that ovver the next couple of weeks...

Babau

Squid
The Fat Yak pale definitely has a nice floral aroma. I really enjoyed it when I tried it the other week.