Whats the best beer you've had & why?

scblack

Leucocholic
had some barefoot raddler this afternoon and I had to have another one to make sure it was beer :eek: soooo delicious
Such a nice beer aren't they? As I said yonks back, I would think it the PERFECT post ride beer - refreshing as well as good tasting.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Such a nice beer aren't they? As I said yonks back, I would think it the PERFECT post ride beer - refreshing as well as good tasting.
Hence where the name Radler came from, German cyclists mixing beer and lemonade after a ride.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coopers Sparkling Ale

My beer sampling experience is minimal to say the least, but I think I'm onto a winner. My mate's can have all the Corona + lemon they want, I'll never be convinced....
+10000000000000000000000

Wow. Enjoying a Ten20 Commemorative Ale. Very rich, tastes so much like James Squires. Not surprising though, it is made by them

ridefreecitizens

Likes Bikes
Hoegaarden, or Fat Yak pale ale

On a separate note, I had mussels in hoegarden last night at the Bavarian beer cafe in Sydney, bloody awesome!

Last edited:

Keish.LB

Likes Bikes
Hoegaarden* :)

I cracked open a La Guillotine last night, and was alot nicer than what I had expected it to be. Sharp Belgian candy-sugar induced alcohol sweetness, backed by notes of vibrant peach and green apple. There's a mild, spicy hop presence, with significant hop bitterness on the finish. Im thinking it may be from the same distillery as Delirium.

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is indeed a wonderful day, one of the best beers ever made is available in Australia. St Bernardus Abt 12. 10% abv

I picked up a bottle today, $24 for a 750ml bottle but it is just incredibly amazing Belgian Quadruple goodness. A plethora of rich and rewarding flavours await, this stuff must be tried by every beer lover at least once.
I drank my fill of it in Belgium because I never thought I'd see its like again, but here it is.

Pictures to follow but for now I'm busy re-aquainting myself with this magical abbey quadruple. Do whatever you have to, get your hands on this amazing brew.

Ryan

Radministrator
Hoegaarden* :)

I cracked open a La Guillotine last night, and was alot nicer than what I had expected it to be. Sharp Belgian candy-sugar induced alcohol sweetness, backed by notes of vibrant peach and green apple. There's a mild, spicy hop presence, with significant hop bitterness on the finish. Im thinking it may be from the same distillery as Delirium.
It is; Brouwerij Huyghe in Ghent. Not quite as good as the Delirium in my opinion but still a mighty fine drop.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is; Brouwerij Huyghe in Ghent. Not quite as good as the Delirium in my opinion but still a mighty fine drop.
Speaking of Delirium,

Delirium Nocturnum 8.5%abv, tried this little gem the other day. A lovely almost black brew with rich dark cherry aromatics and spicy flavour with peppery finish and a rather warming alcohol content. It has a little prickle on the palate but is just delicious.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where'd you get it? Platinum Cellars bychance?
Of course, Platinum Liquor at Concorde is one of my regular haunts and they had been banging on about a shipment of Belgians due in 'soon' for ages. I had no idea this was going to be one of them. The Triple and the Pater 6 are also brilliant.

MasterOfReality

After forever
BBQ's Galore gave me a free case of this stuff when they stuffed me around a bit when I bought a bbq off them.

Was very much appreciated!

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone tried this year's Coopers Vintage Ale?

I'm trying to decide if it is worth shelling out for a case, and sampling it every now and then over the year.

Edit: In other news, I found out that it is more difficult than it sounds to organise a piss-up in a brewery. I tried to organise a ride for the *Cough*fixie*cough* crowd. Beginning at James Squires and ending at Four Pines in Manly. Anyway it was bad timing and piss poorly organised on my part. But I'll try it again soon. Some of the Sydney riders on here might be interested. PM me if you are keen, and I'll post a flyer up in this thread if/when the next one goes ahead. Phew!

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Has anyone tried this year's Coopers Vintage Ale?

I'm trying to decide if it is worth shelling out for a case, and sampling it every now and then over the year.
I have had only one. Very good.

If you really are patient enough to keep sampling over a year, that would be great. Well recommended.

Ryan

Radministrator
Speaking of Delirium,

Delirium Nocturnum 8.5%abv, tried this little gem the other day. A lovely almost black brew with rich dark cherry aromatics and spicy flavour with peppery finish and a rather warming alcohol content. It has a little prickle on the palate but is just delicious.
Had it off the tap in Brussels at the Delirium pub; epic :D

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got to love being a uni student sometimes, midweek tastings are awesome.

From yesterday,

Hop Back Summer Lightning 5%abv, A delicious zesty beer from the UK, I've been looking for it for years over here and finally got some. It is wonderful on draught but the bottle conditioned variety is still very good. Smooth with a grapefruit aroma and bitter finish, lovely stuff.

Beijing Yanjing Brewery Co. Yanjing 4.5%abv, another mediocre Chinese offering. There seem to be a great deal of these cheap and insipid brews around at the moment. Nothing really good to say about it, okay with food but on its own it is rotten.

Batemans Combined Harvest 4.7%abv, Bronzy gold with a large crumbling head, grainy and fruity aromatics, complex and delicate flavour and quite smooth. Brewed from Barley, Wheat, Oats and Rye and two hops, Phoenix and Target.

Matilda Bay Barking Flamingo 4.5%abv, Raspberry wheat beer, apparently made from their Barking Duck saison with raspberries added. Clear crimson with a pink head, beautiful raspberry aroma with hints of citrus and coriander. Effervescent and dry with lingering raspberry flavours, quite a refreshing brew but packaged for the ladies. Not bad on draught either.

Titanic Stout 4.5%abv. An old school stout, loads of toasted malt aromas with hints of fruit, spice and ginger. Smooth and delicious but not overly heavy and very lightly carbonated. Very well balanced and easy drinking English stout.

St Bernardus Abt12 10%abv. One of the best beers in the world, no arguments will be entered into because you would be just making a fool of yourself. I'm afraid I ran out of superlatives describing this to a friend, so he joined me for the tasting yesterday and was blown away.
I'll try and describe it, buttery smooth and very full bodied, incredibly complex and spicy, very rich with warming alcohol but not overly heavy. Malt whisky characteristics and hints of sweetness, it just seems to have so many different qualities. I could drink this stuff for the rest of my days and not get bored. Accompanied with very dark chocolate and blue cheese it just goes to another level. I've tried other quadruples but this is truly the finest I've sampled.

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
I have had only one. Very good.

If you really are patient enough to keep sampling over a year, that would be great. Well recommended.
Have had many (perks of bottlo jobs) and it is fantastic, would certainly invest in a slab if i had the coin to outlay