Whats the difference between Compression, Rebound and Pre-load adjust?

Trenton

Likes Dirt
Ok this has been stuck in my head for ages and I have asked all my friends and they don't know either!!!!

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between compression adjustment, rebound adjustment and pre-load adjustment?

Cheers

Trenton

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
.. compression adjust how the fork compress's (goes in)

rebound adjust's how the fork rebounds (comes back up)

preload is the amount of pressure is on the spring before the fork is pushed on.

adman

Likes Dirt
I think (and I may be very wrong here) that low comp. is how much force your forks present when you are riding along flatter ground. Vice versa for high speed (big rocks/drops/jumps/or if your jumps super fat)

WasabiJim

Likes Bikes
rebound restricts the speed at which a compressed spring returns to its natural state. with no rebound a fork will try buck you off as it works like a po-go stick, or you get that ugly top-out clunk when heaving on the bars. too much and it wont return in time for the next impact getting stuck in a deeper travel point creating a stiff feel (generally). it will affect your cornering aswell, too little - fork will kick too much causing front wheel to wash out. too much does something in corners too, but i forget exactly, understeer i think.

you can do some clever stuff with compression. high speed kicks in on fast "square edge" type impacts, like riding straight into a gutter. it protects long travel forks from botteming meaning u can run a uber plush spring rate where landing a 6ft or 2 ft drop uses the same amount of travel. :eek:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a black art, alright...
So now you have some idea of compression/rebound, etc.

Here's how it's most frequently structured, fork or shock:
Most low-end stuff only has low-speed rebound damping (NOT dampening).
Mid level stuff often has low-speed rebound and compression damping and often lock-out too (so it stops moving all together).
High end stuff now usually has high and low speed rebound and compression damping, and lock-out if applicable (e.g. downhill stuff rarely has lockout) .
Pre-load mainly applies to coil springs (air springs can use a negative spring to the same effect) and simply places some pressure on the spring before you even sit on the bike to make the suspension sit at the right level for your body weight (sag).

All of the above really serves to control how fast the spring moves - how fast it squashes (compression) or returns to unsquashed (rebound).
The spring can be squashed fast or slow (or any speed in between) but we use the terms 'high' and 'low' speed to really differentiate between how the spring moves under the rider's input (body weight/pedalling bobbing - low speed) or impacts from higher speed from the ground (high speed damping).

Hope that also helps a bit...