what's your winter kit?

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
hey guys,

Just wondering what your winter kit consists of? more for enduro, multi hour rides with descents (and crashes).

it's getting chilly... and got me thinking.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Bibs
Jersey
Arm warmers
Knee warmers
Base layer vest
Buff
Wind vest
Can open it up for climbs and pull the buff up over your ears for descents.
Warmers fit in your jersey pockets if it gets too warm

teK--

Eats Squid
waterproof membrane shorts, good chamois shorts, 3/4 jersey, knee/elbow pads, if it's raining, a waterproof membrane jacket too. Clear lens goggles for DH/gravity enduro.

edit: basically what i'm wearing in my profile pic

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to wear my moto gear for next weekend's Buller Enduro, forecast is below zero.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Bibs
Jersey
Arm warmers
Knee warmers
Base layer vest
Buff
Wind vest
What Ackers said, but minus the wind vest, I find them too hot and am too much of a gumby to take them off while riding.

Big fan of Merino base layers, they stay warm even when soaking wet (sweat and/or rain). And merino socks.

Sorry vegans :(

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Move to QLD then just do your jersey zip up ....
If he missus had her way :playball:

For me, in Victoria at least it's...

Road
Bibs
Base layer
Jersey
Arm & Leg Warmers
Soft-shell Jacket w/ zip off arms

MTB
Bibs,
Baggies (over shorts)
Jersey
Arm & Leg Warmers
Thin rain jacket.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I find a wind vest essential on any winter ride. They weigh next to nothing and take up almost no space but are a real lifesaver when getting back a little later or when the temp gets unexpectedly cold out on a ride.

John U

MTB Precision
Thin icebreaker wool hat that'll fit under my helmet. Good for regulating your temp while riding. Easy to put on and to take off and stash. Long sleeve icebreaker base layer. If you do these and keep your core warm you won't need anything to keep your legs warm, they'll take care of themselves.

Windstopper vest (front panels) is very handy also. As are windstopper gloves.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I have found the disco undershirt by 4shaw to be superior to merino.
Regulates temp really well in temps up to mid 20's and down to 5ish overnight our lower when coupled with a wind vest.
Its benefit over merino is that it doesn't get heavy when waterlogged but still keeps you warm.

Kramer

FoBR
This is my Canberra winter morning ride kit:
- Buff (for head & ears)
- long sleeve jersey
- long sleeve softshell or thin waterproof
- 3/4 nix
- baggy shorts
- socks x 2 pairs
- regular SPD shoes
- booties

I also have arm & leg warmers, and a sleeveless softshell jacket for those not so freezing mornings.

BTW - anyone got a good recommendation for a softshell jacket with zippered rear and front pockets? (I carry too much crap in my pockets on the trails!)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
If its not raining I find the jerseys with windstopper fronts but breathable backs very versatile cos your back which is not in the breeze doesnt get too sweaty.
As we all know even in winter not getting too hot is as important as not too cold.
As temp drops esp when there is no sun I wear layers underneath usually a wool or poly thermal.
Long pants over bike shorts + neoprene pull on booties over bike shoes always .
Thin windstopper hat if cold.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bibs
Jersey
Arm warmers
Knee warmers
Base layer vest
Buff
Wind vest
Yep I'm the same.

If it's raining: Add booties and neoprene gloves + a fantastic Cinelli rain jacket made with event fabric.

Beej1

A $10 probably-not-authentic AlpineStars moto x jersey I bought in Thailand several years ago. So cheap and nasty and unbreathable I literally bake inside it. Perfect for cold Melb night rides. Get back to car, strip it off and throw a hoodie on for the drive home.

Other than that and a windproof skullcap style beanie for my shaved head, the rest of my gear is same as always.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Winter kit???
I don't get it, why would you dress any different to your summer kit just because it's winter?

Oh yeah, that's right, most of you poor sad southerners actually have a real winter, where as up here in FNQ it's just heading it to our prime riding season : )

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For cold and wet rides. Gore Alp-X 2.0 AS jacket (arms zip off or can be opened as vents) and Louis Garneau 0-Degree LS-100 shoes.

For cool or damp I use Endura or BBB booties and a LG Gilet.

EdMan

Squid
Oh yeah, that's right, most of you poor sad southerners actually have a real winter, where as up here in FNQ it's just heading it to our prime riding season : )
I know right? The best weather is right now! Rode Atherton today at 1pm in the afternoon and it was pleasantly comfortable.

And fun. Really fun :)