what's your winter kit?

Queenstown

Just back from some time in Queenstown. Rode a couple of weeks back at 7 Mile, while it was snowing. Was meeting a few local guys and turned up in my winter's best. These guys could ride, the best of whom was wearing a t-shirt and track suit pants, and a big farmer's (not hipster's) beard. The other two had ground effect long sleeve tops (nothing heavy) and shorts. It's a different world out there...

John U

MTB Precision
Berghaus Vapour Storm Jacket

Got this jacket in January and have only just started using it as the weather has got wetter here in Melbourne.

http://int.berghaus.com/mens-vapour-storm-jacket/420838.html

Developed by our innovative MtnHaus® team, the Men's Vapour Storm Jacket is the world's first waterproof venting jacket, designed specifically for the serious multisport athlete.

The lightweight GORE-TEX® Active jacket offers the highest degree of protection and comfort whilst still allowing you to move quickly and easily. With the world's first waterproof fully open vents, the jacket has been designed and tested for the world's toughest mountain race 'The Dragon's Back'.

Weight (approx.): 329g

Extremely comfortable, ideal for trail running, fell running or an ultra run up an Alp- The Guardian

Gold - Men's Running - Heavyweight Jacket Category - Men's Running 2013 Product Awards

I have spent a bit on a few different jackets over the years. This is the best one so far by a long shot. Problem is the price. When I walked into Mountain Designs there was a sale on a sale. Picked it up for $160.00. Usual price $500.00. But the world is an easy place to shop in now so if you can find a cheap one somewhere definitely looking into further.

stirk

Burner
Riding in average temps around 10-12 degrees, same as summer kit and a vest for the first 5 minutes, then it's too hot. Although I need to buy shoe booties keep the tootsies warm.

And a cigarette lighter, I figure if I stack badly enough and can't really move I can get a fire going to keep warm till help arrives.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Got this jacket in January and have only just started using it as the weather has got wetter here in Melbourne.

http://int.berghaus.com/mens-vapour-storm-jacket/420838.html

Developed by our innovative MtnHaus® team, the Men's Vapour Storm Jacket is the world's first waterproof venting jacket, designed specifically for the serious multisport athlete.

The lightweight GORE-TEX® Active jacket offers the highest degree of protection and comfort whilst still allowing you to move quickly and easily. With the world's first waterproof fully open vents, the jacket has been designed and tested for the world's toughest mountain race 'The Dragon's Back'.

Weight (approx.): 329g

Extremely comfortable, ideal for trail running, fell running or an ultra run up an Alp- The Guardian

Gold - Men's Running - Heavyweight Jacket Category - Men's Running 2013 Product Awards

I have spent a bit on a few different jackets over the years. This is the best one so far by a long shot. Problem is the price. When I walked into Mountain Designs there was a sale on a sale. Picked it up for $160.00. Usual price $500.00. But the world is an easy place to shop in now so if you can find a cheap one somewhere definitely looking into further.
Great catch.

Yeah Aussie distro for Berghaus went belly up/got out last year so some amazing deals have been around (same for Salewa tents).

I missed this one though!

Last edited: