Wheels - light and wide

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Hey folks.
The time has almost come to upgrade the stock wheels on my Norco Sight (650b). I want to save a chunk of weight (preferably keep the set to 1700g or lower) but go wide - 25mm internal rim diameter or above. I weigh sub 70kg, so happy to compromise some strength for lower weight.
Maybe I'm a sucker for marketing BS, but I've bought into the "wider rims is better" trend.

Here are the options I found so far:
- DT Swiss EX 1501 Spline. ID=25mm, weight=1720g
- Syntace W35 MX. ID=30mm, weight=1690g
- Spank Oozy Trail295. ID=25mm, weight=1690g
- Ibis 741. ID=35mm, weight=1650g

The latter two aren't available for a while, and not much info on the Oozies yet. Oozy cost should be about half the others so are my current preference.

Anyone else looking/looked at any of the above or something similar? Any options I missed?

(Before the inevitable stans/hope responses come, flow EX on hope pro2 evo are both heavier (1900g+), and narrower (23mm ID according to the hope site) than I'm looking for...)

Cheers

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Torpedo 7 azonic outlaws. $350 plus delivery. Various adapters available for hub spacings.
last i checked, 2267 grams was over 1700 by a fair whack.

considered Light Bicycle carbon wheels? 35mm hookless rims would come in under 1700 easy, and reasonably priced.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
last i checked, 2267 grams was over 1700 by a fair whack.

considered Light Bicycle carbon wheels? 35mm hookless rims would come in under 1700 easy, and reasonably priced.
good to see someone can do maths. your mother must be proud?

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
American classic wide lightnings? Super wide and meant to be close to 1500g.
Yep, they'll do. In the weight/width/cost battle they're probably the winners so far...

- DT Swiss EX 1501 Spline. ID=25mm, weight=1720g. $1,100
- Syntace W35 MX. ID=30mm, weight=1690g. $1,300
- Spank Oozy Trail295. ID=25mm, weight=1690g. $700
- Ibis 741. ID=35mm. weight=1650g. $1,400
- Light Bicycle/Hope. ID=30mm, weight 1600g. $800
- AC Wide Lightning. ID=29.3mm. weight = 1512g. $900

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Velocity Blunt 35 rims come to mind...30mm ID...tubeless ready...530 grams per rim in 32h or 36h. Local wholesaler seems to have them in stock. Paired up with some Hope hubs I reckon you'd get in for about $800.

Another option is the Alex Supra 34 which is slightly narrower with a 27mm ID but also much heavier at 650 grams

If you want really wide then check out the Velocity Dually...ID is 39mm...610 grams per rim.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
I have the AM wheelset and the rims are pretty soft, ding and come out of true pretty easily.
I also have the American Classic AM wheel set (29er) - & I reckon they're great. I give them a bashing on my hardtail & haven't had an issue. 24mm internal diameter though. I found the 24mm width a huge improvement over the old Stan's.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I have Zelvy and Light Bicycle carbon rims. The Zelvy finnish is nicer. Without seeing cross sections of both it's hard to say what would be better. Same with layup and production methods, not that I'd know anyway.
Zelvy has titanium strengthener loops in them.
All are different sized rims for different use and I weigh next to nothing so I can't really give a good review in the future sorry.
I would happily buy both again. Zelvy first if I have the funds.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I just ordered these:

For this:

Light bicycle 35mm with Hope hubs, X01 freehub included, 1545gr +/- 25gr
$980.00 AUD including freight, paypal fees etc etc
Not the $800.00 posted earlier in the thread but a true, to the door price.

Should knock approx. 400 gr off my wheels bringing the complete bike to around 11.45kg less pedals

If you don't like bright green - look away : )

Last edited:

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
e13 TRS+. pricey but damn theyre are amazing.
Look nice, but a little too thin for what I'm after (23mm internal width? I'm looking for 25mm+, ideally 30mm+)

I just ordered these:
Yeah, I think I might do exactly that (less the green stickers). The UD matt finish, standard spokes and hope hubs looks hard to beat.

The new Ibis 741 rims are derby rims rebranded I think they are about $300 per rim?
Derby rims are the reason I didn't already hand money over to LB. Really love the look of those things. Probably about $700-$750 with exchange rates and delivery. Tempting to just buy a pair of them, then worry about not having hubs, spokes, nipples (or any idea what to do with any of those bits) later.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Have a look at the Zelvy's maybe a few more $'s but at least you are dealing with a local/Aussie if an issue arises.

You can do like I did and use my old hubs & LBS built them up and saved some $'s.

The finish/look are 10/10 and look like any other piece of quality carbon out of China.....

I see Kovarik Racing ate running Zelvy wheels.....and you'd have a 2yr Aussie warranty.