Wheels - light and wide

Isildur

The Real Pedant
(Before the inevitable stans/hope responses come, flow EX on hope pro2 evo are both heavier (1900g+), and narrower (23mm ID according to the hope site) than I'm looking for...)

Cheers

Just to put it out there, the Flow EX are actually 25.5mm Internal Width, 29mm External. The Hope site must be still using the older "Flow" dimensions in their spec list.

At 490g per rim, they're a pretty good, very cheap choice! Although, I reckon my next rim, either for the DH or AM bike will be one of the Light Bicycle 33mm ;)

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Here's some Zelvy specs
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=612475938837707&id=195995550485750

BTW, prior to getting the Zelvy wheelset I was going to up my tyre size to 2.3/2.35" from my 2.25" .....not now, as the 29mm internal width makes the 2.25 have a wider foot print of the 2.3/2.35" but without the extra weight...a win/win situ
Nice. Look a bit similar to the Derby rims and come out to about the same cost (with a bit less width and a bit less hassle).
But $500 more than LB for the wheelset... it's tough to justify for me.

Syntace look great too, but for the about same cost I'd go for Zelvy or Derby.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Nice. Look a bit similar to the Derby rims and come out to about the same cost (with a bit less width and a bit less hassle).
But $500 more than LB for the wheelset... it's tough to justify for me.

Syntace look great too, but for the about same cost I'd go for Zelvy or Derby.
Zelvy rims are about twice the price. But with warranty and cheap replacement cost.
I got one Zelvy and 3 Lightbicycle ones. Zelvy is going on the DH bike. I'd probably grab another Zelvy for my next purchase. Just couldn't afford it for four rims in one hit.
Hopefully some more reviews will come out by the time I buy again.
Happy with all my purchases. $200 is one good night out, not that big a deal to miss IMO. All relative I guess.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
American classic wide lightnings? Super wide and meant to be close to 1500g.
I've got an earlier set of American Classic wheels here, and whilst they're light, and seem to be a reasonable cost, unless they've done something about their custom bearings I'd stay away.

Getting my bearings replaced on the wheelset cost me half as much as I'd paid for the wheels in the first place due to the bearing costs, and the bearings didn't last that long either (admittedly most use was commuting, but the service life still fell below what I'd have expected).

Can't go Hope custom build from CRC instead? Funky colour hubs are an option that way too...

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've got an earlier set of American Classic wheels here, and whilst they're light, and seem to be a reasonable cost, unless they've done something about their custom bearings I'd stay away.

Getting my bearings replaced on the wheelset cost me half as much as I'd paid for the wheels in the first place due to the bearing costs, and the bearings didn't last that long either (admittedly most use was commuting, but the service life still fell below what I'd have expected).

Can't go Hope custom build from CRC instead? Funky colour hubs are an option that way too...
Really? I had no idea. I've only had to replace bearings on one if their road wheels, and they were around $15 from memory.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Gripper, those rims look super chunky in the photos on their site,
are they as chunky in the flesh?
They look in proportion to their 35mm OD size (I eyeballed them with a ruler and look 28-30mm deep), some carbon rims like Enve look like there's more rim than tyre.....which asethetics wise I hate.

Greg @ Zelvy (Mr Plow on RB) is a rider himself so naturally would have the rim spec sorted as he's putting his name on them!

Guess while others would appear to go omg they are more $, I'd rather deal with LBS/Local business warranty than take my chances with LB in China and all that's wrapped up dealing with a foreign business.

Each to their own, that's cool.

Last edited:

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Really? I had no idea. I've only had to replace bearings on one if their road wheels, and they were around $15 from memory.
Was over $20 each bearing (plus labour), rear wheel has 4, front has 2, so was up for $120 without labour. Wasn't impressed.

I'll admit the other aspect on why I'm no longer impressed with them likely has something to do with lack of maintenance, but they still spun reasonably well (after about 5000kms of mostly road use), took them in for a service and check over, and one of the rear bearing cartridges had disintegrated.

I'd since had the wheels back in for a true after a spectacularly embarrassing off whilst riding to work, only to be told (not even 3 months later) that the hub had too much play and I'd need to change the bearings again. Clearly the cartridge had flogged out the hub, but damned if I'd been able to notice without pulling it apart (and killing the bearings in the process).

I can only Hope (sorry...) that my current Hope wheelsets don't suffer the same fate, though they don't have the same amount of kilometres on them yet.