When the distributor.. Says.. No, son!

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
I was looking at getting a Ti Kona Explosif 27.5 a while back. I went into a LBS and just asked, the initially said no, but after a few more visits they finally got the distributor to agree to do a special order. If the price had not come back so crazy I would have done it. But I just kept asking and eventually they relented.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I was looking at getting a Ti Kona Explosif 27.5 a while back. I went into a LBS and just asked, the initially said no, but after a few more visits they finally got the distributor to agree to do a special order. If the price had not come back so crazy I would have done it. But I just kept asking and eventually they relented.
A real sign that someone doesnt want to do something is to quote an obscene price..... or maybe thats why they didnt import in the first place, due to high non competitive pricing?

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
A real sign that someone doesnt want to do something is to quote an obscene price..... or maybe thats why they didnt import in the first place, due to high non competitive pricing?
I think they did not bring them in as the distro had a bunch of 29er ti frames sitting there from the year before. The price was not over the top just expensive. I ended up getting a Xizang 29er.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
Have you contacted the company that makes the bike? Have you contacted the distributor?
It was organised through a shop, and had the go ahead, then the head of the company called the shop to say this bike will not be arriving, so I can't say much as the shop is still trying to work this one out, so l guess I'll wait too hear back soon.
I can see now there would have been a better way to post this up, my lacking to understand.
My question really was why is there limitations too what is on a stock list, what difference does it make, why are their bikes that get screened, for the purpose of? This is my question. Cheers.

John U

MTB Precision
My question really was why is there limitations too what is on a stock list, what difference does it make, why are their bikes that get screened, for the purpose of? This is my question. Cheers.
Some models of bike are more likely to move and/or make profit than others. The less likely models don't make the cut.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another factor is spares and warranty
Whilst the lbs and in turn the distributor love to push this back on to the manufacturer, it is on them to rectify of things go AWOL for any reason

indica

Serial flasher
The importer/ distributor decides what the range will be based on what they think the market wants.
In 2012 when I wanted the first Sanction the dist. had heaps of a bike called Distortion. Pretty cool bike but not reallt suited for Australia. They were adamant that it would be very well suited for what I wanted. 140mm at the front and 114mm at the rear - a perfect park bike but not what I wanted at all. I persisted and got what I wanted. I outed them on here too and believe that helps.
The 2015 wasn't that hard to get. Still wasn't coming in, recent change of distributor. In the end frames and bikes were made available.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
The importer/ distributor decides what the range will be based on what they think the market wants.
In 2012 when I wanted the first Sanction the dist. had heaps of a bike called Distortion. Pretty cool bike but not reallt suited for Australia. They were adamant that it would be very well suited for what I wanted. 140mm at the front and 114mm at the rear - a perfect park bike but not what I wanted at all. I persisted and got what I wanted. I outed them on here too and believe that helps.
The 2015 wasn't that hard to get. Still wasn't coming in, recent change of distributor. In the end frames and bikes were made available.
this was encouraging to read mate, positive, it shows to me to voice the things you believe in, as in your case your rewards came in, that is awesome mate!
Now I'm more clearer with what was my lack of understanding, of why shots are called to why some bikes get the tick and well some that need that nudging too get to the attention to the distributor, that there is still a call for those bikes that may not be suited for our shores.
Good on ya indica, speaking up for the minority will have an effect.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
So you're at a shop that sells Giant, is it a 2015 Trance SX?

I would have bought one had they been part of the Giant line up this year.

indica

Serial flasher
Australia Post launched ShopMate for US purchases. Your concerns are redundant.
Please explain how a freight forwarding option fixes this situation whereby old mate wants to buy said bike from LBS which gives back up and warranty?
Never mind the charges for the aforementioned forwarding.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Please explain how a freight forwarding option fixes this situation whereby old mate wants to buy said bike from LBS which gives back up and warranty?
Never mind the charges for the aforementioned forwarding.
Factor the cost of a frame repair into the purchase? On my reading, he'd like to support the LBS (e.g with upgrades), but getting the bike is the main goal.