AM When you know you have an addiction - My Waltly hardtail (V3)...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Looks fantastic @beeb!!
Third time, this is the one eh!

While I love a monochrome build, I do also like a little dash of colour to make it interesting. Maybe some gold uberbike rotors?
Maaaaybe it'll be the last one, maybe. :p

I normally don't mind a splash of colour on a bike, but I love the black against the Ti.

beeb

Yep - we were on a couple of Nukeproof's. I'll say high next time
Yeah, I remember seeing you guys a couple of times. Mainly at the bottom of Cressy while we were having a breather though, haha. The Nukeproofs looked sick, feel free to say G'day next time! :)

Reactions: SDA

SDA

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I remember seeing you guys a couple of times. Mainly at the bottom of Cressy while we were having a breather though, haha. The Nukeproofs looked sick, feel free to say G'day next time! :)
Still dialing the front and rear balance - but pretty happy with the Mega! Yeah will do

beeb

Sooooooooooooooooooo... I made a slight alteration to the build spec during the rebuild of the Waltly. You could say it's got a touch of a retro vibe going on... o_O

To be honest - it kind of started out as a joke with myself in my head. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought - It might actually come up alright!

Frame - Waltly Custom Titanium Hardtail Frame "Evo" 3
Front shock/fork - 2020 Fox 36, 160mm travel, 44mm offset, Grip2 damper.
Handlebars - Spank Oozy Vibracore (cut to ~760mm, but +10mm or so in use due to running single-clamp grips)
Stem - Hope AM/Freeride 50mm 31.8 bar clamp.
Headset - Works Components -1°
Grips - ODI Elite Pro
Saddle - Ergon SME3
Seatpost - Vecnum Nivo 212mm, (mechanical mechanism, air sprung)
Brakes - Hope Tech E4 with 203mm rotors & Uberbike Race Matrix pads
Cranks - Shimano XTR M8100 with XTR 32T chainring
Chain - Shimano XT 12sp
Pedals - Chromag Dagga
Rear shifter - Shimano XT SL-M8100 12sp (bar clamp type)
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT RD-M8100 12sp
Cassette - Shimano XTR M9100 12sp
Front hub - Hope Pro-4 Boost 32h
Rear hub - Hope Pro-4 Boost 32h, Microspline freehub driver
Front rim - 29" Nextie Premium Enduro 36mm (29mm internal)
Rear rim - 29" Nextie Premium Enduro 36mm (29mm internal)
Spokes - DT Swiss Comp
Tyres - Onza Pocupines
Tubeless Sealant - Stans Tubeless
Total weight - Unknown, don't care...
Extras - Deanodised fork dials, colour-matched brake lever pivot pins, Hope seat clamp with colour-matched clamp bolt, colour-matched brake-rotor screws (thanks @Scotty675), Marsh Guard mudguard, and hand moulded Sugru chainstay protection.

May I present to you - my Waltly; Retro AF...

Honestly - I love how it came out. Yes, the tyres will be "destroyed" the first time I actually ride it, but I'm actually quite interested to see how they go. They feel friggen light, and are a slightly harder 60a durometer so are more "trail" focused, rather than intended for shredding the gnar...

Was a bit of an accidental journey that led me to it. My first MTB when I got back into riding (and started annoying you all on here...), was my Octane One Prone 29er (here). Decent bike, but brutal frame feel from the very thick alloy tubing. It was pretty though. "Candy" red over bare aluminium was a mesmerising finish, and looked amazing in the sun. In a sign of things to come, I bought some Spank Oozy 345 rims in red. But my matchy-matchy dreams were shattered by the fact the rims were not red at all, but an anemic dark pink. I shortly moved onto dual-suspension bikes and the Prone lay dormant for a while. Eventually, I decided to build it up into a "commuter" (bike path cruiser). I wanted to be rid of the washed out red Spanks, but still add some matchy-matchy, so I ordered a pair of Hope Tech XC wheels with red hubs (also happens to be why my front hub on this is laser-etched "Hope hoops" instead of the usual "Hope"). Due to the harsh-riding frame, I still didn't get much use out of the bike. Along comes Scotty675 selling his ('14ish) Santa Cruz Highball. Black with red anno BB, headset, screws, etc... I had all the bits spare from the Prone to swap over - happy days. Decided a little red wasn't enough, so I bought the red Hope E4's. Nice combos, but after Melbourne mega-COVID lockdown last year, it also sat neglected. I stripped this Waltly to build my Transition Sentinel (here) frameset into a bike, which meant I needed a build kit. So I had a titanium hardtail frame, and lots of red anno. Sounding a bit 90's already isn't it? And what about the Porcupines? Well, I actually already had them. Pre-COVID I toyed with the idea of building a custom hand-built show-bike, before I conceded I didn't have the space, time or patience (or budget once COVID hit) to actually go through with it. I had by that stage already ordered the tyres from ze Germans though, when I was putting another order in and saw them heavily-discounted on a 24-hour sale at a price that was too cheap to refuse. Once the show-bike idea died on the vine, they just sat unused and without purpose. And then that thought about a very 90's looking bike popped into my head. It had to be done!

Surprisingly, due to being like a red-anno targeting Bower-bird the last couple of years - I didn't actually have to buy (too) much to complete the build. The only new bits are the stem, seat clamp, one extra (203mm) rotor and the pedals. I was very fortunate I had the Fox 36 spare, along with a spare 160mm airshaft - so I set that up this morning and chucked it all together today.

Still a couple of tiny pieces to change in future. I have a red OneUp steerer nut coming (eventually, I hope...), some black anodised Ti bolts for the stem, and more black Ti bolts for the brake caliper & adapter mounts - oh, and Uberbike pads without the cooling fins, because those fuckers do rattle.

beeb

What have you done?!? Bike yes, tyres... Ummm
Went full retro... :p

Per your hidden text - I'll probably put "normal" tyres back on it at some point, but it'll be a laugh to ride it round like this for a bit in the meantime. :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Those tyres look great.

With a bit of luck they could go greyish after some use and get all matchy matches with the saucy Ti.

beeb

Those tyres look great.

With a bit of luck they could go greyish after some use and get all matchy matches with the saucy Ti.
Cheers mate. Yeah, they're a bit different alright!

My hope is once they see dirt they'll turn a pale tan colour.