Where should a mountain biker live in Melbourne

USJ

Likes Dirt
Hello all. I am possibly moving to Melbourne from Sydney around April/May. If you had your choice, where would you choose to live in Melbourne for easy access to mountain biking? I will be working in the CBD and willing to live 30-40 minutes out and want to have the best access to biking nearby.

I ride mainly DH/FR, not afraid of push tracks, and also do AM riding as well.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

James

Blythy

Likes Dirt
High country i.e yackandandah, beechworth...theres a bit of public dh tracks up there and some private ones too...but thats a good 3 hours + from melbourne...otherwise geelong which is 20 mins from the you yangs

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
High country i.e yackandandah, beechworth...theres a bit of public dh tracks up there and some private ones too...but thats a good 3 hours + from melbourne...otherwise geelong which is 20 mins from the you yangs
Why not live in Little River then, it's closer to Melbourne, on the train line, rent is cheap and you're right next to the Youies.

Not much else to do though...

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't listen to either of these two above for a start. Beechworth is a little further than 30-40 min away, like 2.5hrs and you definately wouldn't want to live in Little River... [shudder]

Eastern suburbs is the most convienient place to live for riding DH or riding bikes in general in Melbourne. Most DH tracks are this side of town as the ranges start this side and there's also plenty of quality XC/DJ/Park riding as well. The exception being Youies, Apollo Bay and a couple of other places to the Nth West (Maldon etc). Youies is 30min from the City to the West and an hr from Ringwood in the East, best AM riding down here plus the DH tracks are pretty good too.

Just a better part of town anyway...:D

dunndog

Eats Squid
Mate you'd just be better off living in Melbourne or inner suburbs, it takes no time to cross town and living closer to any trails is null and void as you'd only be shaving 10 mintes or so off your travel time.. atleast that way you're as central as you could get to all without living 2 hours out of melbourne. StKilda, Elwood(eastern) for beachy melbourne,Fitzroy , Carlton , Collingwood area for fun music melbourne melbourne. And cbd for work and massive night/weekend melbourne. You can access you yangs weeknights after work easily in daylight savings and most other places are day trip minimum anyway so weekends.. that's what I'd do. Oh wait, that is what i do.:)

Rob rides

Likes Dirt
Apart from what's been mentioned I can make one recomendation for Free Ride.
Definetly Geelong. I don't know any more places around here that have a fairly good jump scene. Not a lot of tricks being done over the jumps but a wide range of jumps ranging from 12 ft to 42ft+
Hope I helped,
Rob