Where to buy liquid ammonia in Sydney?

my_bike

Likes Dirt
Putting a strong acid like HCl onto bare steel and aluminium probably isn't the best idea.
I know as it eats away at most weak metals as Magnesium and probably would eat at Aluminum too. The HCl at Bunnings is not the strong stuff so it's the tiny bit safer.
Just realized I was putting a capital "L" instead of the small "l" in Cl. Silly me.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I have been looking up the chemistry for the Ammonium-Aluminium reaction and I haven't come across anything conclusive....:cool:

Edit: It may just be the Aluminium Oxide or Aluminium Hydroxide is soluble in Ammonia solutions.
Now you're getting somewhere... probably something like this

Al2O3 + 3 H2O + 2 NH4OH --> 2 NH4Al(OH)4

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry if I seem a bit ignorant, but doesnt Sodium hydroxide remove anodizing? or in other words aluminium oxide?

EDIT: The ammonium is used for its basic properties, right? Sodium hydroxide is also pretty basic...... Get some oven cleaner, or something caustic onto it

Last edited:

dek_norco

Likes Dirt
you could try casutic soda mixed with water that might do the trick do not mix with hot water and dont touch it

toodles

Wheel size expert
Techno - you can get liquid nitrogen from cryogenic or liquid gas suppliers like Air Liquide, Coregas or Linde.

Aluminium has a roughly 30% higher coefficient of thermal expansion than steel but heating the steel from the outside in short bursts rather than continuous heat will cause seperation of the two metals.

Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda, oven cleaner, draino, etc) aggressively attacks aluminium oxide and then aluminium. If you're interested in going the chemical route I'd try that before trying ammonia. Actually, I'd try a helluva lot of things before trying ammonia.

Failing all that, what is the I.D. of the post? Sounds stupid but I wonder if it would be possible to cut the post flush, slot the aluminium out where the steel frame slot is and then leave it in place like a shim and run a smaller seatpost. Actually that sounds dodgy even to me.

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Agree, caustic soda is the best option.

Have you got any post protruding from the frame, or have you cut it off flush?

kiwiboy80

Squid
Stuck Seatpost

Gday Techno

Dont think you want to go down the liquid ammonia road
Am an Industrial Refrigeration Engineer and work with it daily
Even think you need a ATIK licence or registered Company to purchase it
Its extremely toxic, attacking your eyes throat and cuts in the skin
Think you after Aqueous Ammonia, ie Ammonia in Water
Not Anhydrous Ammonia, in pure NH3 liquid or vapour

Would try Chemical agents to attack the oxide, Caustic Soda??
Keep dosing it and be patient
Then if no luck cut it off an inch from the frame
And try twisting it out with EZIouts??
Or cutting it off, then using a hacksaw blade and file to remove the rest
Or cutting it off and drilling out the rest in a lathe??
If your not worried about the paint too much
Heat is the next best thing, will do wonders for removing oxides and lower temp alloys,
Aliminium has a lower melting temp and is more malleable than steel and should be easier to work out

Sounds like your near Manly, give me a message and may be able to look at it

All the best

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Sorry if this is useless, but

try the cloudy Ammonia first (thats what i had to clean some AlO3 with for chem one day, and it came up smicko)

it was about 15%(w/w)

hope i helped at all

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Right, it's been a while since chem day's but I think I may have an answer for you. Get yourself some NaOH crystals (I've got a tin of Greens 99% flakes).

Mix yourself up a saturated solution (slowely in a glass or ss vessel, not plastic).

Heat this solution up to about 70 degrees (so hot water temp). Be especially careful here, I recommend chemical gloves, a face shield and an acid vapor mask. Hot caustic is nasty stuff. An alternative to manually heating is to mix your solution quickly and the exothermic reaction will heat itself.

Get this solution and pour it into the seat tube from the BB, making sure the seat post doesn't leak out. You can apply a little heat to the outside of the seat tube to hurry things along. Leave it go for a fair while (>1/2 hr) so it has a chance to eat the oxide and maybe a little of the post.

The reaction forms sodium tetrahydroxoaluminate (I think). Either way, it should work. EDIT, I just realized a couple of people on the last page suggested caustic. Oven cleaner won't do the trick, it's just not strong enough. Oh, if you wan't liquid N2, the best place I've found is cattle sperm banks. There's a lot of them around country area's.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Mix yourself up a saturated solution (slowely in a glass or ss vessel, not plastic).

Heat this solution up to about 70 degrees (so hot water temp). Be especially careful here.
I'd rather handle concentrated Ammonia solutions than hot concentrated Caustic solutions any day of the week.

toodles

Wheel size expert
I'd rather handle concentrated Ammonia solutions than hot concentrated Caustic solutions any day of the week.
I work with both NaOH and KOH caustic solutions as well as liquid ammonia refrigerant.

Kinda hard to compare the two, but I'd prefer the Caustic solutions. At least it only burns the hell out of you if you get it on you - plus it can be neutralised. Liquid NH3 on the other hand evaporates quickly to gaseous ammonia which blinds you, chokes you and makes your groin burn worse than a trip to downtown Bangkok. Between 10 and 30% NH3-air mixture is explosive, and at 5000ppm death is expected in minutes. The liquid gives cryogenic and caustic burns and it eats through rubber and reactive metals.

Personally, I'd rather handle a lot of things before either of them haha ;)

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I work with both NaOH and KOH caustic solutions as well as liquid ammonia refrigerant.

Kinda hard to compare the two, but I'd prefer the Caustic solutions.
Definitely, but despite what he asked for he doesn't need Liquid Ammonia, he needs an ammonia solution which is the sort of stuff your mum uses to wash the floor.

The suggestion to use hot caustic is a good example of why you shouldn't take any advice you get on the internet.

Ivan

Eats Squid
As alchemist said above, we're talking about solutions of Ammonia, a very different beast to liquid Ammonia. Whenever people discuss chemicals, especially discussions between those that work with chemicals and those that don't, nomenclature is always an issue.

Out of interest Toodles, whats your line of work?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Geeeezus! It's starting to sound like a competition for what's the most dangerous substance to work with! :eek:

I've never heard any recommendations for caustic solutions before this thread, and that's after doing a bit of research on the web. However, the liquid nitrogen and heat combos have been mentioned.

Still, it's sounding like the ammonia solution (even the household product version) is the best route to take to solve this problem...

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The suggestion to use hot caustic is a good example of why you shouldn't take any advice you get on the internet.
My solution will work. I've worked with hot caustic for plenty of things and you take precautions to mitigate the risk. If your retarded, then sure don't do it, but a bucket of saturated bi-carb solution will pretty well solve all your problems.

cfd01

Likes Bikes
Why not just take it to your lbs for the sake of $30 odd bucks and get them to do it. Surely a reputable LBS would have come across this before an know the right fix to get it out.

I'd rather part with the cash than try an use dangerous chemicals or a mix thereof that some have suggested. Even costs a bit more is still going to be a lot cheaper then an ambulance ride and hospital bill and all that pain if you get it wrong.

toodles

Wheel size expert
Definitely, but despite what he asked for he doesn't need Liquid Ammonia, he needs an ammonia solution which is the sort of stuff your mum uses to wash the floor.
Yes but considering the concentrations people are banding about, once the reaction is underway the heat will liberate NH3 gas. It's worth keeping byproducts in mind as I've seen more than one evacuation as a result of people forgetting stuff they should have learnt in year 9 chemistry.

As alchemist said above, we're talking about solutions of Ammonia, a very different beast to liquid Ammonia. Whenever people discuss chemicals, especially discussions between those that work with chemicals and those that don't, nomenclature is always an issue.

Out of interest Toodles, whats your line of work?
I work in the engineering department of frozen meal facility. Caustic is used for the washing areas and for waste stream pH correction. We use NH3 as the primary refrigerant in our fridge plant.

Techno - take any advice you get with a grain of salt. In the instances I've seen of seatposts stuck in frames, one was fixed with a blowtorch and the other with a hacksaw blade and a shitton of patience.

Don't clamp the post and twist the frame - I've heard stories of frames bending before the post frees itself.