which bike to take to rotarua?

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heading over to rotarua in a couple of.months and wondering whicb bike to take, i have a choice of a 2012 commencal meta.am with 150mm travel front and rear or my 2011 pivot firebirs with 170mm travel front and 167mm travel at the rear.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
I'd take the meta. Not only is the downhill sick but the xc is a tone of fun too and you wouldn't want to miss out on it either. This is given that you ride both big and small bikes at home

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both bikes are pretty similar. For me, it would be which bike is lightest.

The trails are awesome, but the hill is big.
I had to choose between my Slayer and Bandit 29 (130/140mm). Ended up taking the Bandit and it killed it.
The Slayer would have been awesome too, but we would average 30km a day with around 1000-1500m vertical, so choose the bike that is more efficient.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I took a demo and had plenty of fun. But I don't like riding up hills. And it was nice to be able to charge down the good trails blind without being tentative.

Brownster

Likes Dirt
I took my Merida 96 Team with 100mm travel. Could ride most stuff fast. Was great for all the climbing just slower on the techy and big stuff.

Prob next time would opt for a bike with some more travel and just work harder on the climbs...

Awesome spot. Stop into Planet Bike and say gday to Ed and Lennore from Browny when you go...

i say take what ever you feel you have the most fun on or the lightest one.

i took a 180 travel bike over there for a week and found it abit overkill and the weight was an issue with climbing.
will take my 150 travel next time

even the steep trails are more xc than downhill.
they are all very groomed and there is hardly a rock in the park. tree roots, tabletops and little step downs are more the norm for obstacles.

if your not on a private shuttle all the time expect to do alot of climbing!!! specially if you want to get up into Billy T, corners, red riding huck or split enz ect ect which are some of the pick of tracks there
even the ride to corridoor will leave you wishing for the lighter bike.

one of the biggest issues there is the riding is SOOOO good that taking a rest day is torture so pace yourself for the week :)

either way have a ball the place is incredible and i cant wait to go back!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i say take what ever you feel you have the most fun on or the lightest one.

i took a 180 travel bike over there for a week and found it abit overkill and the weight was an issue with climbing.
will take my 150 travel next time

even the steep trails are more xc than downhill.
they are all very groomed and there is hardly a rock in the park. tree roots, tabletops and little step downs are more the norm for obstacles.

if your not on a private shuttle all the time expect to do alot of climbing!!! specially if you want to get up into Billy T, corners, red riding huck or split enz ect ect which are some of the pick of tracks there
even the ride to corridoor will leave you wishing for the lighter bike.

one of the biggest issues there is the riding is SOOOO good that taking a rest day is torture so pace yourself for the week :)

either way have a ball the place is incredible and i cant wait to go back!
This advice matches my thoughts.

I had to choose between my Pivot Firebird and Liteville 301 at the time. I went with the Liteville and was glad I did. I think the Firebird is a bit overkill for a lot of the tracks there. It would still be a lot of fun, but the climbing would be hard going all day, every day.

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Either bike will be fine so dont stress but I say take the lighter, youre gonna have to get used to doing 30+km days for a week lol

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like im going to go with the meta, as i can lock out the fork for the climb up. 30 + K is all good as i have done that on both bikes.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like im going to go with the meta, as i can lock out the fork for the climb up. 30 + K is all good as i have done that on both bikes.
Dont lock it out you girl!

I do it on my 160mm travel Nomad, no worries :)
Hope you have a good time mate, you should really enjoy it...

Smythie

Likes Bikes
It'll be cold!

Now that you have the bike choice sorted, (Id take the Meta too) get some comfortable cold weather riding gear.
Sounds like you will be there around July or August. I have been a few times, once in August for the 06 Worlds and dude it was cold. (cold for a Brizzy boy anyway). I still remember riding into the park listening to ice cracking under my tyres where there would be puddles. It did rain a bit also.
I had bought some extra thick gloves and was glad i did.
Still your gonna have the best time mate. Enjoy.

P.

my02

Likes Dirt
I'm heading over on Tuesday with a Mojo HD running 180mm forks. Am I going to die on the hill to the top?

I was debating dropping them down to 160mm (planned to at some point anyway) and thought that Rotorua might be a good reason. That said, a mate advises that when he visited on his 100mm Blur, most locals thought he was underbiked......?

I know that there is a shuttle on Wednesdays plus weekends so I figure that Friday will be my rest / easy day.

Wengji, I'll let you know how I went (and maybe how good the Rotorua oxyvivors are).

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm heading over on Tuesday with a Mojo HD running 180mm forks. Am I going to die on the hill to the top?

How fit are you and well do you climb??

Most of the climbing is on fireroads to get back up to the top of the hill and they are not steep, just long and grind you down. The 180mm won't be ideal, but don't reckon that will be what stops you.

Other than Frontal Lobotomy the only single track climbing will be short pinches. I reckon 150mm is about the sweet spot for Rotorua unless you are going all out on the DH track

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shuttle Buddy ?

You could take the big bike and use one of these http://www.shuttlebuddy.com/ to get back up the hill.

As has been mentioned,150mm travel would be the sweet spot. I took a enduro with 36 TALAS (160-130)on the front, and used the TALAS feature regularly.

my02

Likes Dirt
How fit are you and well do you climb??

Most of the climbing is on fireroads to get back up to the top of the hill and they are not steep, just long and grind you down. The 180mm won't be ideal, but don't reckon that will be what stops you.

Other than Frontal Lobotomy the only single track climbing will be short pinches. I reckon 150mm is about the sweet spot for Rotorua unless you are going all out on the DH track
I'm 120kg+ RTR. I won't be tearing up that's for sure! Am happy to plod though.

Will have to see if I can drop the forks down a smidgen.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Rotorua bro.

The Meta Am will be the best bike for the trails unless you're just shuttle running and only plan to ride the National Downhill etc. 150mm will be plenty big enough and will allow you to access some of the trails not serviced by the shuttle... "Billy T" springs to mind.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
its the most epic place ive ever ridden...hands down, makes everything in oz seem utter shite
went with 8 of us, bikes ranged from hardtail to 180mm
mate on hardtail ripped it up, mate on 180mm ripped it up
if you took a tricycle with spokey dokes youd still have a blast
kiwis are friendly as fuck and the food is deadly
only negative is rotarua smells like fart...oh and there arent many good sorts in rotarua so take a penthouse for nightime floggings
otherwise good times :)

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its the most epic place ive ever ridden...hands down, makes everything in oz seem utter shite
went with 8 of us, bikes ranged from hardtail to 180mm
mate on hardtail ripped it up, mate on 180mm ripped it up
if you took a tricycle with spokey dokes youd still have a blast
kiwis are friendly as fuck and the food is deadly
only negative is rotarua smells like fart...oh and there arent many good sorts in rotarua so take a penthouse for nightime floggings
otherwise good times :)
Haha! Right on the money with this post, well done sir! :)