Which bike Trail or XC - Trance 29 2 or Anthem 29 1

Yep another which bike tread....

Currently on an old 2010 Giant Anthem 29 0 and keen to upgrade to something that will give me a bit more confidence on the descents but still climb and cover the kms efficiently. Currently riding the Old Man Valley trails and a bit of out the back of Terry Hills, Ourimbah and plenty of fire trails. Fitness level is good, background tris and plenty of kms on the road. Skills are average to poor, comfortable on the medium blue stuff at Old Mans, Black poses some difficulty and will walk the tough obstacles. I don't have the confidence to get my bike off the ground and I'd like to change that, but fundamentally I will always stay an marathon long kms at the bike park kind of rider.

Riding with some more skilled friends and booked in for Convict 100, Tathra Enduro (75km), might do the Canberra 100 later in the year. Have previously ridden the fling a couple of times, Convict a couple of time a few 6-12 hour events and Tathra last year.

Budget, there are two bikes that I'm looking at that I can get for around the 3,000 mark, Anthem 29 1 (2018) and Trance 29 2 (2019).

Current bike has a c. 71 head tube, new Anthem 69 head tube and trance 66.5. Stack and reach is not vastly different between the Trance and the Anthem.
Trance 29 2, NX, alloy wheels, bit on the heavy side
Anthem 29 1, GX, Carbon wheels, better spec and lighter

At A$3,000 I have some room to lighten and XC the Trance over time or make the Anthem more robust and trailish.

The big question is, given what I am riding, current skill level and planned events, very interested in hearing thoughts on what will be the better bike. I have thrown a leg on both but very conscious that I haven't had either out on a trail....

Cheers,
Nath

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Normally I’m in the ‘if you have to ask then get a trance’ camp but the specific events that you have listed, if what you intend to do longer term, are ideally suited to a bike like the anthem.

I vote anthem (for a change)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I reckon if you get the Trance you will regret it. It comes shod in Minions or High Rollers, its slack and aimed squarely at trail riding.

What you have described has Anthem all over it, up to 100km marathon events, 6-12hr enduros and in your words "Fitness level is good, Skills are average to poor"

You could lighten the Trance up but its still a slack playful bike with 150mm travel.

If you are still torn between the two bikes, I would definitely try them out on the trails before buying.

I have 2 x FS bikes, one is my XC race bike and the other is my play bike. The XC bike is fast, light and twitchy, the play bike is slower, heavier and slacker but awesome fun... though I can tell you it's not much fun 4 hours into an endurance race.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
id go anthem, slack bike even & 100km equals tired legs, get the lbs to fit a 120mm air spring to take the anthem to 120mm & youll b right

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I reckon if you get the Trance you will regret it. It comes shod in Minions or High Rollers, its slack and aimed squarely at trail riding.

What you have described has Anthem all over it, up to 100km marathon events, 6-12hr enduros and in your words "Fitness level is good, Skills are average to poor"

You could lighten the Trance up but its still a slack playful bike with 150mm travel.

If you are still torn between the two bikes, I would definitely try them out on the trails before buying.

I have 2 x FS bikes, one is my XC race bike and the other is my play bike. The XC bike is fast, light and twitchy, the play bike is slower, heavier and slacker but awesome fun... though I can tell you it's not much fun 4 hours into an endurance race.
Trance 29 is 115mm rear travel, 130mm fork.

Can’t comment on what bike to chose because I have zero interest in long xc races, my opinion is way to skewed hehe.

Try and get a test ride on both OP?

Thanks for the feedback gang.
My thinking is that if the new Anthem with 69 head tube gives me the additional handling confidence I'm looking for then this will suit my riding requirements/preferences.
But I do want a bike that I will have some fun on, no huge down hill trails on my horizon, will I get this from the Anthem, 69 is a good number :)

herbman

Likes Dirt
Having got to ride the new 29 trance I would be going for one of them.
The new school geo means it’s very close to the anthem in its ability to cover ground. But it also punches we above it’s travel when it gets technical.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback gang.
My thinking is that if the new Anthem with 69 head tube gives me the additional handling confidence I'm looking for then this will suit my riding requirements/preferences.
But I do want a bike that I will have some fun on, no huge down hill trails on my horizon, will I get this from the Anthem, 69 is a good number :)
When looking at geo you can’t just look at the head angle. The bb height, chain stay length, seat tube angle reach and stack are all things the will affect on how the bike handles.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When looking at geo you can’t just look at the head angle. The bb height, chain stay length, seat tube angle reach and stack are all things the will affect on how the bike handles.
Whilst I do agree to some extent the 69 HA would be a killer for me, I would suggest the new Trance 29er will give you assistance with the confidence you are looking for and dare I suggest inject some fun! I do agree with the other guys that if you are getting it for the XC events get the Anthem however having just ridden OMV for the first time there are parts of it I was glad to have my Trance with a much slacker head angle, nothing a quality rider can't ride probably very comfortably with an Anthem but those of us needing a confidence boost appreciate a slightly slacker head angle on the tricky stuff. Again I'm biased I much prefer going down, so Trance for me.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Trance 29 is 115mm rear travel, 130mm fork.
I occasionally do a big event, last year it was a 24h and usually I do the Outback epic at 205km. My Evil Following is only 120mm/130mm with ~65.5° HA, rolling minions... awesome fun bike but I would not attempt 100km on it, reckon I've done 50km max and remember feeling rooted. I know a lot of people who the OP could be describing and with him saying " I don't have the confidence to get my bike off the ground", coming from a steeper HA 2010 Anthem, the new Anthem would be what he needs, I really believe he may regret the Trance.

I'm thinking the OP has asked in the wrong place... Its a very gravity orientated joint in here.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I’d tend to agree with @creaky that the Anthem is better choice for @Nath2074’s immediate requirements, being marathon XC rides. Better spec for the same money, and swap in a 120mm air shaft in the fork to slacken it a little more if desired. However, it doesn’t have a dropper post and needs a 27.2mm, which limits your options somewhat and you could be up for $400-$500 to add one. For confidence on the downs a dropper is essential. The Trance is probably worth a punt as the more complete package for that reason.

If you’re going to drop $3k though, perhaps spread your gaze and include some other bikes as well.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
From personal experience I have a pivot 429 alloy which is super efficient but lacked the extra confidence I wanted for a broader range of riding. Great bike for 50k+ rides bike or xc 24hr races I used to do.

I built up a banshee prime. Much more confidence in descending and corners. Ride it up at thredbo and love it. It climbs a bit slower but that’s a compromise I’m willing to make. I suggest that this is not one you are!

Test ride is the only answer. Try and find a loop which mimics what you range of riding will be. Each bike has its benefits and shortfalls. Would definitely include the 29er trance if your sold on the brand. For me it would be anthem vs 29er trance for what has been described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm thinking the OP has asked in the wrong place... Its a very gravity orientated joint in here.
I dunno, theres a few people saying “anthem”.
Quite afew requlars are as xc as they come coughcardydoesn’tevenhaveadroppercough

Can a trance be xc with different wheels and tyres though?

Reactions: Zaf

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Here we go again. Trance v Anthem .
Its only about 2 weeks since the last one.
All the sensible ones say Anthem , gnarly dudes say Trance or Reign !!

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Old Anthem 29 was a very stable bike even with its 71 degree head angle. You could try an offset bushing in the top shock mount and 120mm front fork. This will give you a 69 degree head angle Anthem to try out. If you could borrow the fork then you can try this experiment for minimal outlay.

If thats still not confidence inspiring then you need the Trance 29er. As Zaf says, if you're at the pointy end after 100km then you may need the Anthem to podium. Otherwise a Trance 29er on a diet will be a competitive bike with a bit more flexibility than the Anthem.

I have the older Trance X 29er and find it a very capable bike both up and down as well as on long >100km rides. Maestro is a very efficient platform in the shorter travel bikes. I was not able to get it as light as my 26er Anthem, but at a bit over 10kg with proper tyres it is still a bike for all day rides.

Elpho

Likes Bikes
I've had my trance 2 29er for about 6 weeks now. Pedalling efficiency of the new Maestro linkage is really good, I'm sure an anthem would be a little bit more efficient but the extra stability and confidence on the descents from the slacker head angle on the trance more than makes up for it for me.

Reactions: Zaf
Feedback is awesome thanks, going to lock in a Trance 29er. Main reason for the upgrade is to have more fun on the rough stuff keep up with mates, but also have a bike that I can push along and punish myself in the Convict and other longer races, if I get close to podium then will think about getting a more xc bike again.....unlikely.

Looks like I might squeeze the budget to get the 29 1 with carbon rims and GX, might have to lay-buy, but think it's worth the wait!!!

Let you guys know how I get on when I have made the purchase and have a few rides under my belt.

Thanks again!!