Which one shall i pick to ride today? Multiple bikes inside

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

my name is jing, ive posted here and there. You prolly already know my mate justin fox which i go riding with pretty much every weekend. I thought i would use this thread to document and share the mods that i am carrying out on my bikes.

I currently have a

Specialized P3
Specialized s-works Hemi
Cannondale rush 600
Scott scale 40
Giant reign 0

My obessesion for bikes have well and truly taken over. Having one bike was never going to be enough and i have justified my multiple bikes by different tasks.

I had purchased the p3 and the hemi first but they just kinda sat there for a good part of 4 years or so. During the beginning of this year me and justin suddenly started talking about bikes. We realised that we both shared for bikes from way before our car modding days and from then it was history as they say.

The first acquisition was the scott scale 40. One look at the bike and i had to have it ..... to date it is still the fastest bike interms of outright acceleration. But more on that later.

After the scott came the cannondale which i had to have since justin was blabbing on about cannondale this and cannondale that.

Recently on a ride at manly dam i tried justin's reign 1 and straight away i called and ordered my reign 0. It is truly a bike that does not need much mods at all and makes the rider very confident in all aspects.

However the bikes was never going to stay stock for long ... and below i will document what i am in the process of doing or what i have done already.

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
The first bike to get attention of modivitis was the cannondale.

This is how it was when i got it

The first thing i turned my attention to was the brakes. I had a hard time choosing a good set of brakes for this bike weighing in considerations such as weight/performance/looks. Finally i settled on a set of XTR hydros as i perfer the more stealth look which is what this bike is all about. They are also relatively light at around 350-360g per end with all hardware/lever/caliper/rotors included.

But of course mistake #1...i ordered centerlock rotors when i needed 6 bolt convention XT rt75 rotors. So i had to reorder the xt rotors but have since found some use for the centerlock rotors. More on that later.

I went abit crazy after this point and i ended up getting a whole heap of parts for it. These include

KCNC ti-pro seatpost
KCNC seatpost clamp
KCNC k-bone crankset with token carbon/titanium BB
KCNC crankbolts
KCNC chainring bolts
Tioga spyder saddle
XTR shifters
XTR rear dearilure
XTR front derailure
Controltech Scandium handlbar
Crankbrothers acid 2
Dura ace cassette
YBN 260g chain
Maxxis highroller exception

Most of those parts are still coming in as i type but some of it is already here. The acid 2's arrived the other day and the controltech handlebars arrived in the first order too. I will post more pictures as those parts arrive. But basically i have looked over every aspect of the cannondale apart from the wheels which i am still abit undecided on as the cannondale/mavic x117 is already quite light/decent.

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
Modding my bikes was never about finishing one bike and moving onto others but rather simultaneous project which i modded depending on needs and my mood :)

I turned my attention to the scott next.

This was going to be my generic daily bike which i rode to work and did xc trials on. As such i required it to have a nice low weight and also good rolling properties on tarmac.

I took the scott out for a few rides (loftus oval/manlydam/lady carington) to get a feel for the bike and my impressions are that it is a race bike but with downspecced components. The geometery on the scale is the same across the whole lineup and many have commented on the sharp almost twitchy handling which scales are known for.

Only recently have i discovered that the shocks are completly pressured wrong for my weight (it was pressured for a rider around 85kg whilst i was more 63kgish). Fixed that up recently with my newly acquired shockpump and looking forward to hitting the trails again this Sunday. Previously it was quite jarring on my wrists and handling also suffered espicially on rocky surfaces as the front end would just jump everywhere. I am hoping this would be fixed with the recent shock pressure changes.

After a ride at manly

Some fancy scott tubing work

Action photo at manly

Last edited:

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
You might have noticed that i have got two of the scandium handlebars. One was meant for the cannondale 31.8mm and one was to go on the scott 25.4mm

After watching CRC anxiously and angrily at many times for the arrival of hope 2 it dawned on me to research how heavy hope 2 was excatly. I came to the conclusion that it was around 1850g which was not as impressive as i hoped it would be. My stock wheelset is around 1950g so i was kinda looking for some bigger upgrades. That and the fact crc never have mavic 717 rims in stock prompted me to look at other options.

I found the hope 3 straight pull wheelset yesterday and at $600 and 1650g it looked right on the money. So i am home at night and about to order it and what happens? The previously instock hope 3's suddenly went out of stock :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

WTF?

More researching and more debating and i have finally decided to order a set of crossmax sl in the centerlock variety so i can reuse the centerlock rotors from my previous xtr brake order.

I have also installed a set of eggbeater mxr's to initiate my world into spd's. I am slightly scared but also excited as to the performance benifits these will bring.

Shoes for the spds

This is the right shock pressure!

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
This leaves me with the reign 0. It was a quick purchase of an 07 model *i just like the 07 model more* and was at an unresisteable price. Although the deal was not as good as Justins (he bargins like an asian should) it was significantly good enough for me to justify the purchase.

I just dont know what to do with this bike. I want to mod it but there is nothing i need to do? Maybe brakes if i do more dh orientated stuff later on. Currently i am just loving the way this bike handles everything straight out of the box. I have however changed/added two items onto the reign. One of the arrived tioga spyder seats is currently on the reign and i am happy to report that the seat does fit my ass and it does not hurt at all. The second is the wellgo magnisium pedals from my scott at a light 378g,

The bike came with a puncture from the store ..... justin was nice enough to lend me one of his fly weight tubes the morning before our ride at loftus last sunday. Cheers justin.

Action shot climbing

I will detail more stuff as they arrive :)

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jing is a baller to da max. Makes me cry, but it's good we're pushing each other both on trails and off.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
loving what your doing and the fact that yu are not scared to spend money:eek:

i hope you have fun riding and building up your collection of bikes

very good read aswell

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
yeah nice bikes, but im still waiting to see this integra. . . if it can still be called that?:p

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
Different seats for different asses i guess. It flexes a lot and when i am on it i hardly remember that the seat is without padding or so skinny.

Another one of those seats in black came in today for the cannondale, ooooo and the kcnc seat post too :) will post pictures tonight

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
Here is pictures of the kcnc seat post 146g very light. Abit fiddly to setup the seat on it though .....

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
Some new parts just arrived..... :D Happyyyy......

XTR drivetrain

Dura-ace, excatly 160 on my scale

Got a new camelbak too my other cheapy hydration pack was leaking .....

and a nice new met helmet :D

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, i still have a xtr shifter to wait for and cannondale si stem and a pair of wheels i ordered yesterday.

Should be all coming together. Here is what i fiddled around with yesterday night.

KCNC jockey wheel

KCNC seat clamp with ti bolt

Red kcnc chainring bolts

Unbranded foam grips

KCNC cranks with token carbon/titanium bottom bracket. Very impressed with the weight of 700g

nc17 crank bolts

Token bottom bracket

All blinged up!

ruskoo

Likes Dirt
Damn, you have really nice bikes man.
Btw, Disc XC717's are back in stock on CRC. I just ordered two, laced to XT hubs. :)