Which pedals?

Im having a hard time deciding what pedal to buy, its either the Shimano 646dh or the new Time Z control.
price doesnt matter but has anyone tried the new time pedal?
Or anyone with either pedal have any on going problems big or small?
Anything i should know?
Thanx for your help :D

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a time z review on the front page. I am keen to get myself some crank brothers mallets in the near future, from the few reports I have heard they seem to be what I am looking for in a pedal :D

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i rode a set of the older times. they were great if you didn't want to be locked in rock solid.
i found that they pulled loose sometimes even cranked right up.
but as i said that was the old ones.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Times don't have adjustable cleat entry and exit like spd's do, just cleats that you swap from one shoe to the other to get a different angle on the cleat when you clip out.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
I'd wait as Shimano are going to release a pedal with the same mechanism as their M959 cross country model. Only this one will feature a cage around it like the M646. I've got a set of M959's on my XC rig, and they make the M646's feel like shit. Mud clearence works too.
After saying all that, i've got nothing against Time pedals either!!!

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
I have had a set of the 646s for over a year, and nary a problem with them. Came off a set of the 747; similar looking mechanism but with the cage, which makes life a lot easier.

Hey Squidly Didly , do u have any idea when shimano is going to release this pedal? is it part of the saint groupo? Is the shimano adjustable cleat entry essential, or is it a feature that is of very little purpose

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
down hill pervet said:
Hey Squidly Didly , do u have any idea when shimano is going to release this pedal? is it part of the saint groupo? Is the shimano adjustable cleat entry essential, or is it a feature that is of very little purpose
This pedal will be released late September, so around 1 month. I'm not too sure if it's an alloy or resin cage thow! No it's not a Saint item and doesnt look too sexy, but it's functional and the mud clearence rocks. From what I know (don't hold me to it), cause it's the same mech as the M959 model, you can only use the SH51 cleat, but who uses the multi release ones anyway besides commuters!!!

yeah fair enough i spose, well i still have no idea what to get, times or shimano's! i here good and bad things about both. Have u ever tried times? are they xc orrientated or are they like shimano's with more float

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
I've used Times but never bought a pair. I guess cause i've been using Shimano's for almost 8 years now, and had no problems, I havent found a reason to switch. Time's would be my second preference. If I was new to mountain biking, i'd have to say the Times offer more float and look tha bomb!

juzza

Likes Dirt
if i were u id get the Crank bros mallet. They have 4 sided entry, are simpler than 646's or times, are lighter that both of them and best of all are cheap!!