Which Queenstown trail is this?...

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
Hello there. I've booked a holiday for me and my bike to New Zealand's south island leaving next week. The photo below on its own was pretty much what drove me to it. I was sold. Can anyone narrow down what trail this is? There'll be a postcard sent to first correct answer. PM me if that's better. Thanks a lot,
Queenstown 1 resized.jpg

Attachments

woodyjbh

Likes Dirt
Definately the remarkables and probably part of the heli-biking. Did it last year with vertigo. It was awesome and well worth every cent. Only thing I'd change is taking my own bike next time...

Woody

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
Definately the remarkables and probably part of the heli-biking. Did it last year with vertigo. It was awesome and well worth every cent. Only thing I'd change is taking my own bike next time...

Woody
yeah? the magazine article (Dirt) said their heli-biking experience was really rough tech, it didn't actually sound that good. was your experience a lot better?

also, i think the Dirt guys did their heli-biking in Nelson so I'm not sure anybody has pinned the tail on the donkey regarding the trail in these pics. thanks,

dondon

Cannon Fodder
That is taken in Queenstown. Not a heli bike ride. Rather a big climb and a big push. Seek and ye shall find. The ride began at 4am to avoid hikers.

Greg fattyre

Cannon Fodder
not the remarks

Hello there. I've booked a holiday for me and my bike to New Zealand's south island leaving next week. The photo below on its own was pretty much what drove me to it. I was sold. Can anyone narrow down what trail this is? There'll be a postcard sent to first correct answer. PM me if that's better. Thanks a lot,
View attachment 223262
Its a push up behind the Skyline tracks.
The best way to get to the 'Legal" back country trails is with www.fat-tyre.co.nz. They are all local kiwi guides with 5 mountain ranges and 400+km of 'back country' trails many starting at about 11700-2100m above sea level.

josh88

Likes Dirt
Its a push up behind the Skyline tracks.
The best way to get to the 'Legal" back country trails is with www.fat-tyre.co.nz. They are all local kiwi guides with 5 mountain ranges and 400+km of 'back country' trails many starting at about 11700-2100m above sea level.
Yeah this is the trail leading down from Ben Lomonds summit and is a walkers only trail pretty much from above the gondola trails. When i was there it seemed to be quite popular with walkers so a 'quick' push run would not be recommended.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Yeah this is the trail leading down from Ben Lomonds summit and is a walkers only trail pretty much from above the gondola trails. When i was there it seemed to be quite popular with walkers so a 'quick' push run would not be recommended.
the section down from the gondola is fair game though i seem to remember and a good technical trail at that.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If you're going to do that ride I would recommend either (very early) in the morning or last thing in the evening when the walkers have all come down from ben Lomond. In my experience it's not really worth pushing up beyond the saddle as most of the final ascent to the summit is unridable (up or down). The DH from the saddle all the way back to Queenstown is nothing short of EPIC!

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
fark, wish i got all this info before i went over there, broke my collar bone on skyline trails and came home! thanks anyway,

dunndog

Eats Squid
fark, wish i got all this info before i went over there, broke my collar bone on skyline trails and came home! thanks anyway,
Hey mate, hope you're healing up ok! When did you have the fatal stack? We saw a guy getting stretchered last week or early this week, wouldn't have been you would it?

Bluemutt

Likes Bikes
Going for a two week motorhome tour of the South Island next week and I'm looking for some must ride trails tips.
So far we have Christchurch and Craigieburn booked in with a local for some shuttles and AM rides, a few days in each Queenstown and Wanaka areas, but we will be traveling beyond this and want to ride as much as possible (while keeping the other half happy and entertained) any tips on trail names or locations would be great.