Whistler 2011

rsquared

Likes Dirt
guys, for those heading over this year for crankworx, the event schedule has changed a little from previous years. The Garbonzo downhill and Canadian Open (the 2 big downhill events of the festival) are in the first few days now. Canadian Open day especially is well worth being there for to witness 'Hecklers Rock'. Full details of the schedule are up on www.crankworx.com.

Red Bull are now sponsoring the slopestyle event as well. I've got a feeling the boneyard and this season are going to be amazing and i'm extremely jealous I'm not going to be there for this one.

Have fun all the lucky ones over there this year.

ademb

Likes Dirt
So annoyed they moved it forward, last year I got there on the last day of C-worx and then when I decided I was going back I made sure id be there right at the start of August so id see the whole thing, then they move it forward and I miss it by a week or two haha. Unlucky.

Anyone going over for longer then a month? Im going to start looking for a place in a month or so I guess, hopefully something I can stay in for the winter too..

The Big Chief

Likes Bikes
Hey guys
Craiglist and the other places sound good. I'll look into them in the next few days and see what I can find.
ademb are you keen to join in too?
I'll get back to you soon.
Cheers
Luke

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will be there from Aug 4th to Aug 22nd, if anyone is looking to share house, I am staying in the whistler village, and you will get yourself a nice fold out sofa, I don't really care how much you pay, you can have it for free really... I have already paid for all the Accom, if the place I am staying with want more money for an extra person, that's all you would have to pay... Just looking for some guys to ride with and sink some beers with, I am staying with myself at the moment.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Hey Rendog, dude I might take you up on that offer hey! I land on the 1st, Ill be down in Vancouver for a day or 2 setting up bank/phone/visa stuff then Ill be heading up.Would love a place to crash till I can find some proper accomadation.

Plus Ill be there by myself too so looking to make some mates quick!

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you in victoria? wouldn't mind catching up for a beer before hand or something? I will send an email off to the people I am staying with and see what the costs are to run an extra person!

ademb

Likes Dirt
Nah Im from Sydney unfortunately. Let us know anyways, more then happy to chuck a bit of cash your way for a place to kip out.

The Big Chief

Likes Bikes
Hi guys
I'm pulling out of my trip this year so wont be needing the accomodation etc.
I'll be travelling anyway from later on this year so may see you over there next year.
All the best
Luke

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hi all,

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but let me register my interest for Whistler 2011! :D

I am looking at staying 2-2.5 months in Whistler (is that too long :p?). Around July 29-October 10 when the bikepark closes. Camping the whole time at Whistler Riverside RV resort? or finding a place to rent? The rate there is $35/night for camping. I'm thinking of buying a tent when I get there and it would be great to split the day rate with one or two other people for as long as possible.

Would anyone be interested in camping?

Cheerio

Last edited:

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Hi all,

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but let me register my interest for Whistler 2011! :D

I am looking at staying 2-2.5 months in Whistler (is that too long :p?). Around July 29-October 10 when the bikepark closes. Camping the whole time at Whistler Riverside RV resort? or finding a place to rent? The rate there is $35/night for camping. I'm thinking of buying a tent when I get there and it would be great to split the day rate with one or two other people for as long as possible.

Would anyone be interested in camping?

Cheerio
Unless you are hellbent on stinking and sleeping in sweat for the entire time you are there, you'll get staff housing for just a little bit more than that, with your own bathroom and (at least ) kitchenette. Also, your bike will be in a locked room with you rather than locked to a tent!

For a week or so, yes, or if you really want to camp, you can do it for free, bugger paying someone just to lay a tent! But 10 plus weeks? Nah, I'd rather a bed!

Food for thought!

Plus, of course, as Josh says, bears man... FRICKEN BEARS! That may or may not shoot laser beams.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Haha, yes I am aware of bears :|
I haven't booked anything, but the aim is to stay there for as long as possible for as cheap as possible.

Zoidberg where can i get this staff housing you speak of?

I'm all for going half-half with someone on a room etc.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Haha, yes I am aware of bears :|
I haven't booked anything, but the aim is to stay there for as long as possible for as cheap as possible.

Zoidberg where can i get this staff housing you speak of?

I'm all for going half-half with someone on a room etc.
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/residence/summer_rates/index.htm

Check out that link. I know loads of people that have stayed in staff in the summers. You only need to be an employee of the mountain to stay there during winter.

Brio is the location you want as it is closest to the lifts and a shitload cleaner/nicer than Glacier. Westside is newer but a lot further away.

Rates are actually just over half off what you would pay for camping!?! So there you go.

Adi

It's my birthday!
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/residence/summer_rates/index.htm

Check out that link. I know loads of people that have stayed in staff in the summers. You only need to be an employee of the mountain to stay there during winter.

Brio is the location you want as it is closest to the lifts and a shitload cleaner/nicer than Glacier. Westside is newer but a lot further away.

Rates are actually just over half off what you would pay for camping!?! So there you go.
Thanks so much man! I contacted them and they don't take reservations (first come first served basis) but they said they usually have room for people. Looks like I will be heading straight there.

Now just to finalise flights, hah.

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
Unless you are hellbent on stinking and sleeping in sweat for the entire time you are there, you'll get staff housing for just a little bit more than that, with your own bathroom and (at least ) kitchenette. Also, your bike will be in a locked room with you rather than locked to a tent!

For a week or so, yes, or if you really want to camp, you can do it for free, bugger paying someone just to lay a tent! But 10 plus weeks? Nah, I'd rather a bed!
Agreed.

My wife and I pay $1500 a month for a 2 bedroom that we have to ourselves with a huge basement for working on bikes (realistically someone could sleep down there). If you're paying that sort of money get a decent place and share.

ademb

Likes Dirt
A dude I met when I was over there last year was doing the camping thing for the whole summer. He was a french guy, Max something.. There was a bit of a write up on him on nsmb.com from what I can remember.

He was staying up in the forest for free and just grabbing showers and stuff at mates places..

Tis like 2 months and 2 days till I leave, ffffnnn stoked!