Who's the gun 29er wheel builder in Sydney Hunter area??

wittman13

Likes Dirt
we do a hell of a lot of 29er wheels at Wheelcraft.

Wide range of rims, hubs and spokes/nipple options. All hand built by dedicated wheelbuilders.

Elvis.
Thanks Elvis I am sure that you make a great wheel or hundred, but I think I want to be in the same boat as Refreshinglygood. I can source XTR hubs and Stans rims for $520. I would just need someone to build them for me.

sossy

Saucier
Another vote of confidence for wheelcraft.

240s onto Stan's Arch rim svia aerolite spokes... I aint a little fella either, clear of the $1.20 mark, and these wheels have been great.

*disclaimer* I work for DW, although I still recommend the wheelcraft build, faultless, with many friends also going through the process with a variety of combinations and all with the same amount of love at the end of the process.

An off the shelf wheel just doesn't have that same pants tightening effect that a bespoke wheel does.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Dear Mr. Good,

Did you have any luck on finding a wheel builder locally? I am thinking about going down the same path, but don't know of any people that do 29er wheels?

Sorry for reviving this thread but I would likes to know.
Try A to the MoFo K ;)

wittman13

Likes Dirt
Try A to the MoFo K ;)
I thought he was gun shy of the big wheels.

If he comes out for a spin on sunday I will try to get in his ear. If not, can you mention in casual conversation next time you and he are riding around at Mach 1.1? He has to pop his cherry sometime.

DW-1

Dirt Works
I would just need someone to build them for me.
Wheelcraft are now offering a "you send it - we build it" service.

Some basic guidelines:

you can provide hubs and rims. Wheelcraft will provide spokes and nipples. (at the minimum - we're happy to advise on rims and hubs if requested)

hubs and rims must be brand new. (ie: never previously built)

all work is done via your local dealer.

Elvis.

skinya

Likes Dirt
Do custom wheel sets come with valves ?

Do wheelcraft custom wheel sets come with valves?or do i pay extra and get them later?:confused:

gixer7

Likes Dirt
DW-1,

That's interesting although I do question why you will only do this for brand new hubs (rims I understand why).

Is there a valid technical reason for this?

For what it's worth, I'd take advantage of this service if I could get wheels built up on my (used) hubs - is why I've switched from Crossmax wheels to Hope/Stans setups.

DW-1

Dirt Works
DW-1, That's interesting although I do question why you will only do this for brand new hubs (rims I understand why). Is there a valid technical reason for this?

For what it's worth, I'd take advantage of this service if I could get wheels built up on my (used) hubs - is why I've switched from Crossmax wheels to Hope/Stans setups.
there are a couple of reasons.

main one being the condition of the hubs. If they'e in great condition then everything (might) be rosy. But we have no way of knowing if the hubs actually are in good condition (or not) until we receive them. (and by then it's too late)

If the hubs are loose or have flogged bearings, then that will affect the quality of the build. And everyone will have their own interpretation on what worn out means...

The other thing is the way the hubs were built previously. Different wheelbuilders have differing opinions on the way to lace a hub. (leading/trailing/inside/outside and so on)

We have our own way to do it. We mimic the way DT Swiss do it. You've no doubt seen the spoke marks in the flanges of your hubs when you pull them down? Building "across" the wear marks in the flanges can lead to premature wear on the hub flange and on the spokes. This can greatly affect the quality of the build.

With a used product, we can't be 100% sure of the state of the product and the level or maintenance that it's had previously.

This is a new service from Wheelcraft. And in the future... we may offer to build with high-end (used) hubs. But for now, we're sticking with new products only.

I understand that it may not suit everyone. But for now. This is our policy.

Elvis.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Thanks Elvis, that makes sense to me.

For myself I'd understand that build quality would be a variable on used hubs but I agree not everybody would necessarily see it this way. An expecation gap so to speak.

I haven't actually seen the wear marks on my hubs as they are less than 500km old and I only recently switched from proprietary wheelsets so that info was useful for a number of reasons.

Cheers