Why are Aussie Downhillers so damn fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flow

Squid
Just wondering why you guys think that Australia produces so many fast downhillers?

Canada has awesome terrain but we haven't had near the success at the World level.

Do you have National Training centres and camps or are Aussie DHers just plain old lunatics?

bb7 rider

Cyclone Imports
mate aussie downhillers have 12 months a year to ride no snow and we drink to much to care flat pedals, dust, flat tracks so we can pedal , a massive will to win rather than just do a section ummmmmm what else any guys add some stuff

Steve

Likes Bikes
i think terrain has alot to do with it too, here we have dusty, gravely shit to ride and slide on alot of the time compared with the nice tacky soil found overseas more often than not. Plus we have a big racing culture here.

big dan

Likes Dirt
yeah the soil has a bit to do with..makes us corner hard as it so dry and blown out.

Also when we ride we dont really tend to do a lot of stunt type riding, just fast shuttles, often timed.

As someone else said the fact that we can ride all year helps heaps as well.

bmxbandit

Likes Bikes
yeah all those above, plus when we do go out and do runs if ya holding up the train to get back to the top u get yelled at to hurry up , in other words, maximum runs are to be had, dont waste time while out, plus evryone here always seems to want to out do each other always, even if theyre not sure they can pull it off, theyll give it a chop

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Over here, the shuttles runs are so short that there is never anyone stopping half way down to session stunts or jumps etc. It's about going all out, all of the time and reminiscing when it's all over. Plus for some reason people here think freeriding and DHing are actually 2 different sports. ("Freeriding is gay??" WTF??) I haven't figured that one out yet, but give me time. Noone in Canada really gives a shit about racing. What's the hurry?? Let's just smoke this fatty and bust this huge gap drop. Who's got the camera? Ouch, that roach burnt my lip. Which way to the chairlift dudeman? Eh?

flow

Squid
Kram said:
Over here, the shuttles runs are so short that there is never anyone stopping half way down to session stunts or jumps etc. It's about going all out, all of the time and reminiscing when it's all over. Plus for some reason people here think freeriding and DHing are actually 2 different sports. ("Freeriding is gay??" WTF??) I haven't figured that one out yet, but give me time. Noone in Canada really gives a shit about racing. What's the hurry?? Let's just smoke this fatty and bust this huge gap drop. Who's got the camera? Ouch, that roach burnt my lip. Which way to the chairlift dudeman? Eh?
So true.......

Chilli

Likes Dirt
Well over my side of the hood it is only about 4-8 k's max to your closest hill and that means that you can go over and ride whenever you come home from school or whatever and not be scared of busting yourself up in the middle of nowhere, so you can go big as you want without fear. Plus ive noticed most oz DHers and hardcore-ists are basically fearless because we just love what we're doing so much and we dont really care if we case hard infront of our mates or others.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we ride for fun, not for the image

of course we all like the *bling* *bling* image of a new bike tho :D

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
During the world cup and norba off season it is'nt uncommon to run shuttles right along side the likes of CK, Nathan Rennie, Shane Wode and Mick Hannah to name a few. Riding with and racing these guys has to rub off eventually. They bring there knowledge and crazy fast skills, we all make like sponges and take it all in and try and keep up.

Cheers :D

Acadian

Pinkbike Pimpdaddy
runs are also short here. I also try to go balls out, but I'm still slow as fock!! :roll: :wink:

Tim

Likes Dirt
then your balls just aint big enough ;-) hehe ... seriously Aussies just want it that much more than the rest of the world. Were genrally a competetive country and i recon thats the biggest reason.

Tim

Rik

logged out
We're fast in almost every other discipline of cycling as well, I think even though it's such a small sport here, we're good at nurturing good riders, and we have well established development programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.