Why dont bikeshop people want to sell women good bikes

floody

Wheel size expert
Mez, would you elaborate a little more on what information, pricerange, expectations, purposes you explained to the sales staff?

Like 99% of bike sales people, I'll start with the low end of the range and push higher options entirely dependent on what the customer suggests their needs and budget. This is simply because few customers will take well to it being suggested they should buy a $10,000 S-Works Epic when they are looking for something to punt along a gravel path; and customers who want higher end machinery are normally switched on enough to actually explain what sort of bike they are after.

The crux of it is they need to listen and inquire as to what your needs and pricerange are; if they don't do this or the customer is unable to explain this, it makes the situation very difficult.

I find it unlikely in the extreme that if you intimated you were after high end equipment you would have been directed to cheap snotters...

Last edited:

monc

Likes Dirt
Hey Mez

I've found it's best to do some research and educate yourself a bit, so you can be a bit firmer about what you want and why. I hate being talked down to by salesmen, although I haven't had too much trouble with bikeshops, it's more the car industry that's the problem.

I've actually found that bike shops have been more likely to try to upsell than downsell. I've gone in and explained my price range, and they'll usually try and get me interested in something that's more than my top price.

I've also found it hard to get higher end womens shoes/knicks etc (tiny market I guess), although the shops I've been to have usually been pretty good at not trying to sell me what they've got if it doesn't meet my needs.

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
I have a beef with bikeshops at the moment in Melbourne. My experience to buy a bike was not good - Their BIG EGOS for a start are a major problem. You would think if you have the cash they would want to sell you whatever bike you wanted - like bloody car salesman. Not so! Its as if you need to prove your riding abilities before you are worthy of such a prized possession. Also if you dont speak the terminology your screwed. When I went to the shops by myself I found them very intimidating and kept being lead down towards the HUFFY section of bikes. I dont get it - why not sell me high-end bike if that's what I want. When I took my hubby its was a different matter - yeah sure mate whatever the misses wants - its as if you dont exist. Even when I chose my bike the guy says to me - hey madam this is a professional bike you would want to ride this a lot. I admit I know very little about bikes, but I love to ride XC, the bike can only go as fast as you pedal or as fast down hill as you would like to go and if the bike SH.ts itself Ill take it to the bike shop so their egos can fix it. Thats what they're there for. Thats my beef. Anyone else have problems like these? Disgruntled female
Yep. I find I just have to shop around for the right salesfolk. I have walked out of shops when my favourite sales people are not there (men and women). I usually go for the owner to start with. In one instance (when buying my third bike) this bloke answered my dumb questions, spent time setting me up on a bike he knew I could not afford and still let me test ride it for a few days. I am sad to say that I did not buy it or any of the great bikes in that shop, but they have my loyalty forever and I would recomend them to anyone, particularly newbs (Canberra, sorry). Of course it is ideal to be fully clued up, but everyone has to start somewhere and it is OK to love riding without being a total bike nerd. As far as I am concerned, those spotted youths with the attitude can take a hike.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
its good to know what customers want.

we have a sort of standard set of questions to find out what bikes someone would be interested in.

what type of riding do you want to do?

where do you want to ride it?

how much will you ride it?

what price were you looking at?

with thos three answered it gives us an idea of what bikes to show the customer.
Hey Rabbat, what about listening to the customer, rather than asking rapid fire questions.

Part of the biggest problem I have faced with dealing with bike shops is they just don't listen to you.

joeyjoblah

Likes Bikes
Hey Rabbat, what about listening to the customer, rather than asking rapid fire questions.

Part of the biggest problem I have faced with dealing with bike shops is they just don't listen to you.

I thought they sounded like reasonable things to ask.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As far as I am concerned, those spotted youths with the attitude can take a hike.
I had an experience with above recently. I wanted a replacement centerbolt for some cranks. I'm 39, and male. The spotted sales person (way too cool for school) basically treated me like I was an idiot and offered no suggestions whatsoever re: where to source a bolt/bolts.

I left the store thinking that twas somewhat of a shame as I now have one less store to choose a bike from post tax return.

Thankfully, a Rotorburn Wanted Thread came through and I got some bolts suprisingly quickly

Sexism and Ageism suck

Last edited:

shazza of the pub

Likes Bikes
How to get around the dilema

I was dragged into the sport by my BF and I have never had an issue with sales people in any of the bike shops that I have been into because i have always known the sales people.
If you are serious the best way to get the service you require is to find an experienced rider who frequents a decent bike shop and either go in with them or get them to mention to a 'particular' sales person your position and then you are treated with some respect.
Last case scenario.
If that doesn't work come to Cairns, highly recommed two shops up here that know their stuff and are just bloody fantastic with the service. If the bike you want won't suit you and your needs they will tell you.

tu plang

knob
My question is surely if you want to buy a bike, wouldn't you let the customer decide on the bike they want - not talk them down to the entry level bike as you suggest - unless of course it was due to customers budget. But - if the customer likes the bike with all the goodies on it I would not try to sell them the entry level bike. This was my problem to begin with. If the customer wants ALL THE GOODIES regardless of what level/amount of riding, why not sell them the bike they want. Why down sell? If the customer decides the bike is not for them once they've purchased it - expensive mistake. (You should know what style of riding before spending $$$$). The other thing with upselling - you get better gear on the bikes etc -sales people should emphasise on what you're getting for your buck if you spend that bit more. I take your point that you would want to sell customers the right bike without them overspending unecessarily but if there budget allows - I would upsell. That just me - Im greedy for profit. I did end up going to many other bikeshops and finally found a good one that l like. cheers.
I can't totally agree with that mentality. While some salespeople might do it out of arrogance most that I have worked with in the past would have done it in the interest of finding the best bike for that person. The bike shop I worked in for the longest period of time had a pretty good culture of trying to build a relationship with a customer rather than just trying to flog them off with the most expensive bike they could sell them. If someone new to the sport, male or female, walked in and said they wanted the santa cruz in the window I would go to at least some lengths to help them rationalise that decision because there's a reasonable chance they would regret spending $6000+ dollars on their first mountain bike. It's simply not a practical way to start out in the sport. Most of the guys I've ever worked with in bike shops worked there because they enjoy riding bikes, fixing bikes, talking about bikes etc. They enjoyed helping people take up the sport and took and interest in helping the person get the right bike particularly where the person showed a keen interest.

I don't want to turn this back around on you, but you can't go into a bikeshop expecting 2nd class treatment and/or inferring that their service is in some way sexist.

Never ever accept second rate service due to your lack of dangly parts.
This is probably the difference between a bike shop that employs "spotty" 15 year olds and guys that are 20+. Hahah it might be the other extreme but we'd race each other to the shop floor when a girl walked in :eek:

I thought they sounded like reasonable things to ask.
I agree.

Cranky

I've been looking around for a dh bike that i can ride. I've got a store guy who said to me that i dont want to ride DH cause that is for men. I should stick to the social biking because i'm to fragile. LITTERALY said that.

I have had 3 issues that being 1 of them

2. I came in looking for an Intense m3 prices. and i asked what he could do for me. said couldnt do much. My friend BoB* and i have heard about this unfair thing with girls so we thought we would see if it was true. So BoB* walked into the store after i left asked for price on m3 and asked if he could do a better price. the sales guy knocked 200 off the bike for him. We both had the same information.

3. i was out right told i was to short for them to sell me a decent bike. i'm about 5ft 2. no offer on another place to go or any help on ways to find a bike smaller

rubikat

Likes Dirt
OMG!
That is a terrible store!
Get out quick and NEVER go back.
Any rider, regardless of age/gender/built is only limited by their own abilities.
And anyhow. last time I checked youo don't need a male appendage to own a downhill bike.
In fact, I love it when women say they want to ride. It keeps me in my (2nd) job and gives me an excuse to talk bikes.

As a female, I am so annoyed on your behalf after your treatment at that store!
I ride (badly) and love it - and I am short!! My DH is a modified Iron Horse 7.3 and it took me forever to find a DH to fit me. But that being said, it rocks.
checkout transition's syren for a good AM/lite DH bike + ask around on the forums for advice.
Good luck and don't let some w#@$&r put you off!

Ely

Cannon Fodder
ya brother

I've been riding for 2 years and i'm currently on my 3rd bike (08 yeti DJ) (dont ask what happened to the 2nd bike)
When i was on the market for my DJ my brother took me to a bike shop i had never been to. My bro new what i was looking for and my skill level. So we went searching. My brother had found the DJ and was looking it over as a young kid about 17-18 came over to us. He gave my brother the information while i had a look at it. I went over to them and told my bro that it was what i wanted and the sales guy immediately turned from 'yeh yeh great bike' to 'nah its a bit to up market for her' and my brother just turned away and went to the counter.
if all else fails take your brother ;)

FoxXx

Likes Bikes
Hey guys Im a Bloke and ive been working as a bike sales man for only a short while now, but i have to say im rather shocked with the stories of customer service. I always try to be polite and listen to any customer and at the shop i was in, i got a whole range of people from kids to the older generations looking for all kinds of bikes. but one thing sticks out in my mind when reading this forum.

Just having a normal day at work, then this lassie comes in tells me she very into her trail riding,told me her price range, what she using it for etc. so with in about half an hour or so, the ladie was walking away with a brand new Giant Trance X3 and was happy as larry

But i really dont see why bike sales men should look down on women, there a customer and its your job to help the customer and ultimatly sell a bike befitting there needs

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
There is some great advice here, very helpful as we are just planning on buying my wife a bike so we can go on family rides.

Having purchased my first bike recently, i can say that having limited knowledge is not a good thing when purchasing. I visited 10 or more stores just for someone to explain why i would pay an extra $1000 for the 1 over the 2.

The bloke that explained it to me got my business, and he explained it so simply. " This 2 has forks worth approx $600, the 1 has forks worth approx $1000. The 2 has brakes worth $200, the 1 worth $300." and so on.

So i choose the zero model. Funny how i was willing to spend $1500 and end up spending $3000. Good sales people get better sales. Plus im happy as larry feeling confident i made the right choice etc

Thanks again for the tips on women specific, and i feel your pain with the salesmen!

Pete

jill

Likes Bikes
bust the stereotypes!

Interesting thread.

I've had two similar experiences. Luckily my LBS are pretty good and treat me well, but I was a little put out when my son bought his new Glory DH0 bike and it was suggested to me that maybe I should buy the DH1 - the lower model. My thought was "what? I'm not good enough for the higher level bike because I'm a woman?"

My other experience was when I registered for a downhill race and the female official questioned if I was in the right line up. She actually said she thought I was registering for XC as I looked too petite to be doing DH! I didn't think you had big and butch to ride DH.

I do like busting stereotypes! :)

wombat

Lives in a hole

It's funny, because one of the biggest problems I regularly encounter with customers is trying to figure out exactly what it is they actually plan to do with a bike. The questions you quoted seem perfectly reasonable to me, in fact they're quite similar to what I'd ask as well.

Obviously listening to specific needs or ideas the customer has is great too, but communicating ideas you have about what sort of riding you'd like to do isn't always the easiest thing. Hell, the term 'mountain biking seems to mean a hundred different things to a hundred different people. Stock questions allow you to get some sort of foothold in people's intentions, and develop your understanding of what they need.

Then it's a matter of seeing if what they need can be reconciled with what they want. I see plenty of people coming in, explaining that they're looking for a mountain bike. Three or four questions later and I regularly uncover that what they really want to do is the 10km ride to and from work everyday, and have no intention of heading off road at all. The only reason they asked for a mountain bike was because they knew they didn't want a drop bar roadie, and they didn't know there was anything else.

Most of those people will end up leaving with a hybrid or a flat bar roadie, but inevitably, there'll be people who's want for chunky, tough looking tyres and suspension will see them on a full suspension mtb that is woefully ineffecient, and quite inappropriate for the sort of riding they're doing, despite salespeoples best efforts.

All my rambling aside, my point is that as crucial as listening to customers is, the sad truth is that many people are incapable of expressing what they want or need concisely. Asking questions that I've asked a thousand times before helps me get responses that I can work with, and try to break down some of the communication barriers so I can get on with the job of finding an appropriate bike for the customer.

callat

Squid
Seems to me that bike shops don't want to sell women anything. I've been in 6 different shops recently and only one shop had a salesman prepared to give me the time of day. Frustrating. I was looking at bikes and accessories.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
It's funny, because one of the biggest problems I regularly encounter with customers is trying to figure out exactly what it is they actually plan to do with a bike. The questions you quoted seem perfectly reasonable to me, in fact they're quite similar to what I'd ask as well.
What I had in mind was active listening (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_listening)

I heard a quote that puts it nicely: you have two ears and one mouth - and thats the ratio you should listen/speak. Twice as much listening to speaking. Asking heaps of questions doesn't constitute active listening.

You are not diagnosing someone's problems - you are giving them a sales experience. Everyone likes to be listened to - it enhances the sales experience if you listen attentively. Think of how a good experience keeps you going back (even if it is way out of your way) as opposed to the sales staff that look like they are just trying to hurry things along and get rid of you (or just not serve you at all).

It doesn't take all that much extra time either.

Devil 77

Likes Dirt
Bike shop salesmen

Hey guys sorry to drop in on your womens section but i hope i can help. I work in a bike shop in the ACT and i try to treat everybody the same, when i have women costomers come in i dont talk crap to them it is a waste of time as you all have experienced it only gets you mad and makes me look like an ahole. I like to give customers the option of riding the bikes that they are interested in as this lets them choose what one they want, all i do is explain what each component is designed for and the pros and cons of hardtails and dual suspention. I do understand that a lot of shops have morons as staff as i have been served by them in the past myself. All i can say is that if they are treating you unfairly go somewhere else cause you can find shops that will look after you. Now get out and ride! :D

boxx(downhill)er

Likes Dirt
I think the "womens" market has only got time to grow. I think it's just stupid to dismiss any newcomer to the sport and prejudice is probably the worst possible thing to do.

There are a few brands which have commited to women's specific designs. Namely Trek and Specialized.
dont forget the norco empire freeride/downhill bike which has been designed with input from the norco rider Darcy Turenne
when it comes to sales people there is some serious growing up to be done because i have seen women throw down and pin down rockgardens