Why I think if the USA disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't mind...

atschool

Likes Bikes
How about 'If kooky religions dissappeared I wouldn't mind' instead. I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who think this is stupid too.

Surprised that the ABC is reporting this shit. Hardly news is it?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
How about 'If kooky religions dissappeared I wouldn't mind' instead. I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who think this is stupid too.
Yeah, you're probably right. It's a bummer that more than 1 in 4 Americans are evangelical christians and, being a democracy, they could have gotten rid of firearm ownership a looooong time ago. Somehow I think it's more than just a "kooky religion".

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
I remember a artical a few years back in the paper talking about a promotion a bank in the u.s.a had, "sign up for a bank account and get a free shotgun" :rolleyes:

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
the whole middle of america seems to be behind in life and social skills.

Perhaps it has something to do with being deprived of the ocean

atschool

Likes Bikes
Yeah, you're probably right. It's a bummer that more than 1 in 4 Americans are evangelical christians and, being a democracy, they could have gotten rid of firearm ownership a looooong time ago. Somehow I think it's more than just a "kooky religion".
My contention with threads like these is that they always bring up the tired old 'only in America' type responses painting everyone in America with the same tar brush. I have a number of American friends and relatives who aren't into religious fundamentalism and don't own any guns. Let's face it, there are douchebags in every country and if we were to use them as representatives for a nation of people we'd be creating 'If the world dissappeared I wouldn't mind' threads.

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My contention with threads like these is that they always bring up the tired old 'only in America' type responses painting everyone in America with the same tar brush. I have a number of American friends and relatives who aren't into religious fundamentalism and don't own any guns. Let's face it, there are douchebags in every country and if we were to use them as representatives for a nation of people we'd be creating 'If the world dissappeared I wouldn't mind' threads.
Its just funner our way. :D

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I remember a artical a few years back in the paper talking about a promotion a bank in the u.s.a had, "sign up for a bank account and get a free shotgun" :rolleyes:
You might be thinking of Bowling for Columbine, when Michael Moore goes to a bank that advertises that deal. In the movie it was actualy all set up, but there was actualy a bank offering guns in exchange for creating a bank account.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
But if there are douchebags in every country, why aren't there churches in Australia, Canada, Europe, etc... giving away handguns as raffle prizes?

Is it because America has an overwhelming number of them?

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
You might be thinking of Bowling for Columbine, when Michael Moore goes to a bank that advertises that deal. In the movie it was actualy all set up, but there was actualy a bank offering guns in exchange for creating a bank account.
nope, it was a realy artical about it with a picture of the banks advert.

'Ross

Eats Squid
I wonder if I made an example out of a less than desirable practice happening in say...Lebanon? Maybe Afganistan? Then said how good it would be if I thought those countries disappeared?

Well everybody would call me a great big racist and have a massive sook, but I guess America (coincidentally the country that we pretty much try to imitate in every facet of our lives besides guns) well they are just a free target?

Jimass

Eats Squid
DUDE THAT IS SO COOL! Idiots...

EDIT: 'Ross well really, they are pretty much a free target... As wrong as it is. It's basically "we can take the piss out of them because their skin is the same colour as ours."

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon the gun laws need to be pulled a fair bit tighter....... The argument is they are required for "personal protection", and the way things have been running there are stacks of guns out there in America. One looney kid finds out where the gun is kept, goes on a rampage; So what do people do? They go and get a gun for their own protection. So it's a sort of spiraling/snowball effect. Australia has got the idea where you need a reason past that of "personal protection" to hold a gun.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
if America disappeared tomorrow, who would us Australians have to make us feel smarter? anyone? at all? thats right, we NEED america :eek: :p

Little T

Likes Dirt
But if there are douchebags in every country, why aren't there churches in Australia, Canada, Europe, etc... giving away handguns as raffle prizes?

Is it because America has an overwhelming number of them?
I'm sure legality has alot to do with it in Australia and the other counties. Surely you have to apply for a licence in America but it is only a few days turnaround whereas in Aus it is around a month. Some states in the US allow for carrying a gun in public, simply for 'protection' purposes. They seem to be far more laid back about the entire issue of guns and thats why they give them out in churches, banks, etc.

Either that or they are just trying to get the rednecks into religion.

old4dy

Likes Dirt
One also has to take into account they need the rednecks etc who are firearms savvy for the Marines, where else would they get their cannon fodder in these tough economic times.

There are a lot of uneducated rednecks in the bible belt.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
What the frozen monkey balls? Spanky's lovin this news story...

and he doeth quote : "
Pastor Ken Pagano says the gathering was intended to promote safe gun ownership and celebrate the right to bear arms.

People arriving at the church had their guns checked to make sure none were loaded."

Safe gun ownership is a complete and utter no FUCKING brainer if the bloody thing is unloaded?

the stupid - it burns.

s

instinct

Likes Dirt

How was it set up? Apart from using techniques to prove a point.