Why isn't Sram the same as Shimano!!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
You need to learn how to brake with your middle finger. It gives you more leverage, and leaves your index finger free for shifting.
Or just move your brakes inboard so only your index finger gets on the brake lever. Same leverage, better control, thumbs are free to shift and lever reach can be brought in nice and close to the bars for better modulation and less arm pump without squishing other fingers or feeling like a gimp.....

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Yes, you do need to relearn how to ride. In your pic you are using 2 fingers to brake.......maybe your running canti's???
Fair 'nuff! :) That's an really old pic! Might need to change it ;) That was the 2nd day on my DH bike, years ago! Wasn't used to the codes, so was using 2 fingers to help control them! (You can tell from the shit scared look on my face that I'm not used to it ;) )

As the above poster mentioned, once finger index braking is the way forward!

asa572

Likes Dirt
As Frenchie said SRAM should only be shifted by your thumb! For the record Shimano copied SRAM's thumb shifting set up, though Shimano can still be shifted by index finger as well.
Shimano had push push shifters back in 1990 ,between thumb and rapid fire plus there was rapid fire shifters.
So to say Shimano copied SRAM is wrong.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Fair 'nuff! :) That's an really old pic! Might need to change it ;) That was the 2nd day on my DH bike, years ago! Wasn't used to the codes, so was using 2 fingers to help control them! (You can tell from the shit scared look on my face that I'm not used to it ;) )

As the above poster mentioned, once finger index braking is the way forward!
Nah, no matter how I try, I find two finger braking way better than one index finger. Works for me.

Felixe

Likes Bikes
Shimano had push push shifters back in 1990 ,between thumb and rapid fire plus there was rapid fire shifters.
So to say Shimano copied SRAM is wrong.
I remember that! I had a bike in 1992 that had LX, with plastic shimano shifters that used two buttons for thumb (only) shifting. This was before Sram existed, back then even rockshox was a baby and fox had not mtb products.