Why so few new bikes with Shimano drivetrain?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Had a Monza/SRAM rep in last week spinning his shit about how awesome NX is, banging on about how it's like SLX but better and cheaper. I nodded politely while silently telling the guy to get his hand off it....
Tell him to get his hand off it next time.

The only good thing about sram is rockshox.

Why can’t you find a bloody shimano/rockshox equipped complete! Ead fox/scam.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It's obviously marketing games at play.

Bike company, 'Hey mate, yeah nah, yeah we'll have a few of the them rock shox forks please'
SRAM rep, 'nah yeah nah, which bkes these going on'
Bike company, 'them bikes over there'
SRAM rep, 'but you have n't got a groupset on them'
Bike company, 'yeah nah yeah we're using shimano'
SRAM ' ah the shimano compatible forks are 50% more expensive'

teK--

Eats Squid
Tell him to get his hand off it next time.

The only good thing about sram is rockshox.

2-3 years ago you were able to! Then Eagle came out and well... because Marketing sells.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I was looking at stumpys on the weekend.

Sweet spot of the lineup was the comp carbon with Shimano SLX/XT drivetrain and shimano brakes for $5600.

Bloke in the shop kindly informs me that this model is no longer available and has been replaced by an NX eagle and guide brakes build and is now priced at $5900...no thanks.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So much Sram hate..... remember kids...... opinions are like assholes.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
So much Sram hate..... remember kids...... opinions are like assholes.

I don’t hate Sram I just don’t like NX Sram. The problem is to get better than NX means you also pay for upspec forks and wheels and shocks. It just means the only bike for me currently has to be a custom build.
I will put GXP DM cranks on probably X1 or similar. Shimano 1 x 11 XT drive train and hope brakes.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
So much Sram hate
I loved them up to 10 speed (not the brakes, not ever the brakes!). Then they made a new hub which annoyed me. Then they geoblocked and then they decided to sell really expensive stuff after loading stock bikes with them.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I loved them up to 10 speed (not the brakes, not ever the brakes!). Then they made a new hub which annoyed me. Then they geoblocked and then they decided to sell really expensive stuff after loading stock bikes with them.
They made a new hub because they offered a solution to a 10 tooth cog on a cluster. Shimano have just made a "new hub standard" with their 12 speed offering, so time to start looking for another brand to use.

Shimano have also had 4x iSpec standards in the last 8 years.... so it swings in roundabouts.

I just bought a Sram eagle GX drive train from the Germans without geoblocking.

GX is very affordable and shifts (in my arsehole opinion) a lot better than Shimano. Is it worth the extra $100/$200 for a GX drive train over an XT drive train? I would think so.... without doubt.

As I said.... everyone has their own opinion and we can all make excuses as to why we prefer one over the other.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
They made a new hub because they offered a solution to a 10 tooth cog on a cluster. Shimano have just made a "new hub standard" with their 12 speed offering, so time to start looking for another brand to use.

Shimano have also had 4x iSpec standards in the last 8 years.... so it swings in roundabouts.

I just bought a Sram eagle GX drive train from the Germans without geoblocking.

GX is very affordable and shifts (in my arsehole opinion) a lot better than Shimano. Is it worth the extra $100/$200 for a GX drive train over an XT drive train? I would think so.... without doubt.

As I said.... everyone has their own opinion and we can all make excuses as to why we prefer one over the other.

You're into Yeti's as well aren't you?

"Don't drink the Kool-aid children"

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
You're into Yeti's as well aren't you?

"Don't drink the Kool-aid children"

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yeah.... sure am.
Some day I'll let you have a pedal of one... if you're lucky

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I always hated the heavy levers on XT. Drove me nuts, tried all sorts of cures and different cables.

Got a bike with SRAM XO1 11 speed and the light dawned - positive and light with a very satisfying click that made Shimano feel cheap and crappy and vague.

It’s odd though, Shimano road stuff is light and smooth and positive - don’t know why they got the MTB stuff wrong..