Wide enough for tubeless...?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just getting ready to do first tubeless set-up on the new rims....and I'm hoping I can nail it first time.

I have these rim strips (Joe's No flats) which seem to fit nice....but they were really meant for 19 to 21mm rims, not these bad boys.
Joe's instructions stress that the tyre bead must sit just inside their rim strip....and not between the rim & their strip.
The Joe's strip is designed to go over your existing rim strips and the Spank rims have a really nicely finished plastic rim strip that I'd rather not disturb....

Is the rim strip wide enough??

.....or I can just go with Gorilla or Bear tape & pinch the valves out of these strips....?

What would the 'Burners do...??

The other thing I noticed, in the last photo you can see 6 of the 8 little holes drilled thru the outer plane of the rims.
1. What are these holes for? (manufacturing process?)
2. I'm thinking they will leak sealant into the inside of the rim if not properly sealed over ?

Attachments

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Is the rim strip wide enough?? Yes, depending on tyre fit. Give it a try.

can just go with Gorilla or Bear tape & pinch the valves out of these strips....? Yes, definitely.

What would the 'Burners do...?? Give it a try. If it fails, go a different tape.

What are these holes for? Ventilation for moisture ? Manufacturing process ?

I'm thinking they will leak sealant into the inside of the rim if not properly sealed over ?
Yes, but a minimal amount will leak in before it seals.

Last edited:

shore_2

Likes Dirt
What's this Gorilla tape everyone talks about? I can't find it in bunnings anywhere!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
What's this Gorilla tape everyone talks about? I can't find it in bunnings anywhere!

I emailed the distributor the other day. They came straight back & said any Bunnings can order it in for you via the customer service counter.
....but a lot of guys on here reckon' The Bear brand tape is just as good or better.
I'm a tubeless virgin, so can't vouch for either.....yet.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing it's the one with the reinforcing in it? What width usually?

stirk

Burner
I'm guessing it's the one with the reinforcing in it? What width usually?

Go the bear outdoor masking tape, many people will say the same it's light and works perfectly. The bear is 24mm and I did two wraps slightly offset to the sides so the important Middle section where the spokeholes are get a double coat.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Go the bear outdoor masking tape, many people will say the same it's light and works perfectly. The bear is 24mm and I did two wraps slightly offset to the sides so the important Middle section where the spokeholes are get a double coat.
Wouldn't masking tape break down when getting wet from sealant?

stirk

Burner

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you use Gorilla or Bear tape, use proper toobless valves; if you scrounge the ones out of the tapes they're quite possibly not going to seal well.

You need to cover those internal holes, I think they're a bit too big for sealant to deal with.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
You need to cover those internal holes, I think they're a bit too big for sealant to deal with.
Agreed, I have a rim that I folded a side wall on and whilst it could be straightened the process introduced a small stress fracture in the rim bed which was much smaller than the holes in your rim and unable to seal with any sealant. Ended up going the old ghetto tubeless to cover the complete bed and side walls and it worked fantastic.

Edit: Looking at your photos again I think that you would be a perfect candidate for ghetto tubless.
1. For 27.5" rims use a 24" presta tube (if your running 26" then get hold of a 20" presta tube) slice it around the center line of the circumference;
2. Install the valve through the rim valve hole and splay the tube over the edge of the rim;
3. Install the tyre and add sealant of choice;
4. Inflate tyre and trim excess tube with a sharp blade.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I would try and jamb some type of small plastic plug in the outside holes or run Araldite over the holes. They are just too close to the outside of the tape for my liking. Fitting or removing the tyre might disturb the rim tape and cause it to lift.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I would try and jamb some type of small plastic plug in the outside holes or run Araldite over the holes. They are just too close to the outside of the tape for my liking. Fitting or removing the tyre might disturb the rim tape and cause it to lift.
Could you use silicone or a no gaps type product?