AM Wife is going to cut my balls off- start of a new build essay

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Thus far I've been much opposed to 27.5, but the new Nomad may, just may, weaken my resistant too it, looking forward to a ride report
I did a few ride test days at the local MTB park the some of the bigger brands latest 27.5 bikes, and on those trails I ride fortnightly I couldn't notice a lot of difference in wheel size? Am i missing something...

The next SL's are really nice, feel a little to light, love how they are modular.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Currently riding a Heckler and looking at upgrading, seriously considering the Nomad as my next frame. It'll be my do everything bike. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the Head Angle. Is 65 degrees too slack? Will it still pedal ok for trail riding? I read the recent pink bike review. They loved the bike and the handling but I'm wary of the hype in the market.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently riding a Heckler and looking at upgrading, seriously considering the Nomad as my next frame. It'll be my do everything bike. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the Head Angle. Is 65 degrees too slack? Will it still pedal ok for trail riding? I read the recent pink bike review. They loved the bike and the handling but I'm wary of the hype in the market.
65 deg HA used to be really only on DH bikes. But recently I've noticed the HA on bikes have become slacker for some reason. I still consider 65 to be slack, but it depends on the bike setup. Best bet would be to test ride the nomad too see if you like it. If your concerned about the HA then the Bronson might be worth a look.

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
But recently I've noticed the HA on bikes have become slacker for some reason.
I guess it's 'cause bike innovation and changes caters to the racing/competitive scene first... then trickles down to the public.
With the increasing popularity of Grav-Enduro and its increasingly downward orientation I guess the slackness on these bikes becomes an advantage.

Plus, who the hell likes riding uphill anyway?
Yes.
Crazy people, that's who. :p

Mywifesirrational

Coming off a Rune with a HA somewhere arounf 65, it's not bad.

A little bit of a handleful on the steep uphills, you have to use a bit of muscle to hold it online and body language to keep it down, but not terribly so.
I found fast flat corners to be the hardest thing with a slack headangle, the front wants to really push out, have to use a lot of body language to keep the traction down.
And once you start heading down, it's awesome, stable, fast and confidence inspiring.

Mywifesirrational

Yeah, your job as a teacher is to........... TEACH EM NOT TO BE STUPID. Stupid.
I don't think you can teach a stupid 18 year old who doesn't want to learn and think they know everything. You can only guide and motivate so much, the uni want them to pass (more fees), I want them to pass (more tutes and prac money).

As adults they decide what they want to do, if they don't even turn up it's hard to impart knowledge, if they do turn up it's for social reasons which the education side of things gets in the way of. Best time for classes is 8am monday or 4pm friday, filters them out instantly.

They generally fail dismally across most subjects and by second year they're long gone... after wasting 6-10k. I feel no guilt when they fail, I especially enjoy it when they cry at this piont - for wasting my time and efforts when that could have been spent with the students who want to learn and deserve to be challenged more.

Mywifesirrational

MWI
any updates on eta of this frame?!?!
im itching to see this built!!! (No doubt you are too)
Well, it'll turn up when it turns up I guess, I've given up waiting, the DH bike is getting a lot of use at the moment.

Been told 4 dates so far with the latest being last week... not evening bothering calling, ordered it approximately 97 days ago. I would have guessed this week... hopefully before september. Wheels are running miles late as well CK red hubs... very hard to get hold of in Aus i guess?

Should have just freight forwarded from the states, would have the frame more than a month ago, friends in HK, NZ and US already all got theirs at worst a month ago. We also only get the monarch as an option, unlike every other country...

got all the bits underneath the table ready to go, also xtr is released in 2 weeks yay!

Mywifesirrational

Picked up the frame today, it's pretty nice, well finished.

Came with a bag of goodies I expect all SCB do, t-shirt (XL) which makes logical sense as thats the frame size, grease gun, carbon paste some 3m type frame protection. Nice touch, not sure why more brands don't through a tshirt in... cost is minimal for free advertising.

Installed headset, pikes, next SL cranks, it's going to be freakn light. Waiting on wheels still.... to finish the build. Kindly got offered the use of some new Derby's off a riding mate... can't use a brand new wheel set of someone elses.

Only issue I can see is it looks like the there is no external dropper post cable mounting.... I don't wish for an internal routed post, Like my stock standard LEV as is.

No photos DSLR is flat and battery is not charging. Sleeping in spare room with bike, Mrs found out the price, I no care.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha, sleeping in the spare room, she is being irrational. ;)

Wheelset waiting can be frustrating, hopefully the wait is worth it.
Hoping to see mine soon.

Buggergrips

Likes Dirt
I don't think you can teach a stupid 18 year old who doesn't want to learn and think they know everything.
"I didn't come to any lectures because I want to concentrate on rowing, can you give me all the slides, and talk me through them?"

how about No.

I just got a lectureship at Bundoora, going to ride plenty gorge a fair bit.

nice bike build, by the way.

Mywifesirrational

Nearly built, the wait for wheels is really dragging on, 9 weeks come monday, borrowed some brand new Derbys just to see the bike mostly built up, didn't actually ride it yet.

Need a longer cable for the LEV and rear brake, will order on monday, waiting on delivery on a CCDBA, pulled the monarch debonair off, so it is essentially brand new to sell. CCDB coil feels really nice on it, but it's also pretty heavy.

The santa cruz decals and others are not to my taste will get some costum decals dones locally, it's a bit too stealthy for my likes.

XL frame, doesn't exactly feel XL when on it, could be a full 25mm longer and not even be close to too long for me. Not external dropper post mounting, although the SCB website says there is, they are full of shit.

Camera phone pics,

nomad4.jpg
nomad5.jpg
nomad3.jpg
Nomad1.jpg
nomad2.jpg

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like that stealth look but I can see why you might want a bit of colour on it. Would save every rider you pass asking what it is.