Wildside 2012

Pussa

Likes Bikes
I'm bummed I'm not doing this ride in 2012... ah well.

Word of warning, if wet.... First race stage, the last 5km is littered with lakes in the middle of the road. Going around is slower, take the plunge, put a snorkel on and get your butt behind the saddle and ride through 'em! It is thrilling to know whether or not you will make it through half wet or fully soaked in silty, red water!! Better still, sit behind some poor soul who is the guinea pig, if he/she falls in, take the 'other' line!!

Lurvs
Which years did you ride? I know there have been some wet events in the past but 08 and 10 were bone dry. It should be pretty dry up there at the moment unless we get some rain during the next week. Bring spare brake pads too, if it is wet you'll go through them pretty quick.

Fav stages would be Granville Harbour, Montezuma falls (for its length).

Pussa

Likes Bikes
where r some good places to go for a burl on way frm launceston to cradle mtn?
cheers
There is a nice compact trail network, Kate Reed NRA in Launceston and its easy to find:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xaJ3IsGKrrI

There is also Trevallyn NRA, which is also in Launceston but I've never been there. It's probably not worth diverting out north to Four Springs (Hagley) half an hour out of Launceston). Or Stubbs road (near Turner's beach between Devonport or Ulverstone). Unless you've got plenty of time.

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
Which years did you ride?.
I've the privledge of both, in 01 and 02, they were WET as, bike went through a rebuild on both occasions!!

Did it again, which included 08, and you're right, it was lovely and dry, even the leg sapping alpine grass wasn't too bad to ride. :very_drunk: As was the time it between 02 and 08... cannot remember the year.

It was that someone commented here it could be wet, and it reminded me of those turbo charged silt fest ponds, knicks full of mud and wet shoes for the entire ride. All in all though, still had a ball.

Yep, AlChemist, that decent is truely awesome.

Good luck everyone.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just put some new rubber on for the weekend. Got my hands on some super sticky Rubena Kratos 29x2.25 tyres. Get excited, not long now!

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just put some new rubber on for the weekend. Got my hands on some super sticky Rubena Kratos 29x2.25 tyres. Get excited, not long now!
At last, some tyre discussion. :p
I won't be having any cable issues but will be taking spare brake pads.

Just spoke with the owner of the Tullah Lakeside Lodge and they have a couple of rooms left (due to cancellations) over the Wildside period. So give them a buzz if you are looking for something.
He also mentioned that the weather has been fantastic - dry and warm. Maybe we are in for another dry Wildside?

jimspr

Likes Bikes
Tyres

At last, some tyre discussion. :p
I won't be having any cable issues but will be taking spare brake pads.
I know its like religon (tyre choice), but I was thinking of running two Ralphs or a Ron and a Ralph?
Any advice for wildside?
Thanks in advance, first post so apologises if I'm dragging up an old topic.

Last edited:

throwback

Likes Bikes
Can anyone offer us a lift back to Launceston?

Hey Wildsiders
me and a mate are looking for a lift back to Launceston from Strahan after the event on Tuesday afternoon if anyone can help us out?

if you have a couple of spare seats, we are both traveling light (hand luggage only) and are happy to chip in for fuel or pay in the universal currency of beer.

We are on the last Jetstar flight back to Melb which is something like 10:30pm so basically just need to back for that

Cheers

tb

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know its like religon (tyre choice), but I was thinking of running two Ralphs or a Ron and a Ralph?
Any advice for wildside?
I used the Rocket Rons in 2010 and to be honest I found them to be the worst tyres I've ever used in a Wildside event - and they didn't work really well anywhere in Tassie either summer or winter.

Choosing a tyre that works for all stages and the differing weather can be tricky but if you are riding more for fun than the outright win then I'd go for something reliable rather than super fast. At the moment I'm leaning toward the trusty Conti Mountain Kings as I know they work well on the west coast of Tassie whether its dry or muddy. While they aren't the fastest tyre they are a great set and forget option.

That's my $0.02 worth

JesseC

Squid
Tyre choice

Something with a good stiff sidewall.... Rocky fire roads such as the trial-Granville Harbor, or the Que River can (and will) wreak havoc..... Grip (and possibly even rubber compound) will have less of an effect than toughening up your legs and injecting them with some good ol fashioned killer wasps!!!!

So yeah, stiff side wall + hard pedaling will give you a good outcome. I used Captn Controls (specialized) in 2010 and whilst they were a comfy tyre, they wouldn't be my tyre if I were riding Wildside this year.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Any advice for wildside?
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1 Pacestar, Snakeskin, Tubeless Ready run tubeless. Set 'em and forget'em for the whole four days.

JesseC

Squid
Riding before/after Wildside

I'd strongly recommend getting in touch with Vertigo MTB if you're looking to do some riding around Tassie.... Along with extensive riding knowledge around all the state, the travel/ accommodation and company is awesome.

Do a google search for their details if keen. I'm sure they'd also be able to hook you up for a tour guide for a local day of riding xc or downhill around launceston as that is where they are based.

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ran Crossmarks last time. They worked OK for all the stages. Worst on the Tuesday morning muddy stage, best on Granville harbour stage. Has anyone tried Maxxis Icons? A little bit more open tread than crossmark, I'm thinking they won't load up with mud as readily.
Use a tyre I've never used before - WCPGW?

chopboy

Squid
I've just got Maxxis Ikon's onto my bike for wildside, they seem pretty good. Came off a set of Schwalbe Racing Ralph's which i was happy with, apparently the Ikon's have thicker sidewalls / are more robust.

Pussa

Likes Bikes
So yeah, stiff side wall + hard pedaling will give you a good outcome. I used Captn Controls (specialized) in 2010 and whilst they were a comfy tyre, they wouldn't be my tyre if I were riding Wildside this year.
I just put Captn Controls on, thought a fast trak or renegade wouldn't offer enough grip up there, especially on the early stages where there is more likely to be some wet grass, mud and puddles.

throwback

Likes Bikes
Looking for a lift

---bump---

Hey Wildsiders
me and a mate are looking for a lift back to Launceston from Strahan after the event on Tuesday afternoon if anyone can help us out?

if you have a couple of spare seats, we are both traveling light (hand luggage only) and are happy to chip in for fuel or pay in the universal currency of beer.

We are on the last Jetstar flight back to Melb which is something like 10:30pm so basically just need to back for that

Cheers

tb

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Strange request...

Hi all!

At the end of stage one on day one, when everyone else had moved onto lunch, I helped a girl in a white Hi-Ace type van remove a rabid possum from the engine bay. The fight went on for about twenty mins and I eventually came out victorious. The girl took some photos of me running across the scrub carrying the possum by it's tail. I would dearly love a copy of these photos.

If you know this girl, could you please pass on my email which is stevob@optusnet.com.au . Any assistance is appreciated.