Will I look stupid wearing full face on XC tracks?

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Just on the subject, would people buy a second MTB lid?
I am selling my Giro Switchblade after a dozen uses. It is a great helmet but I cannot get along with the size/shape with my odd melon. It lives in a custom padded helmet bag and I look after my PPE, with it being potentially life saving and all.

The removable chin bar is great for most of your rides because you can drink, eat, and breathe normally. Then you fit it back on at the top of the drop-in when everyone else is talking crap about how they’re going to do Detonate/Trouty/Kuma Gutza!

PJO

in me vL comy
After having a front wheel wash out and face planting on Krushka's at Derby (blue/intermediate track) a couple of years back, I now ride with a full face, have a Bell super 3r so can take chin bar off for climbing. Mine was a fairly minor stack.
Only one other of my mates rides with a full face, he landed on his face as a younger man and required more than 300 stitches to put it back together, apparently even had a few whiskers growing inside his mouth for a while because he had pulped his face so much they couldn't quite tell which parts were his lips.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I should wear mine (Super 3r), but I'm a bit like @Mr Crudley and I got it to ride Thredbo and do a shuttle day at Stromlo, but still wear my old XC one other times. Knee pads though, full convert.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Proframe/stage is ok due to the hole in front, doesn't work well with some bite valves though. The parachute was ace for this, no hole in the front but the bar was further forward and skinnier so never had an issue getting the bite valve through.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I’ve got a stage and is great for ventilation. I get the bite valve up under the chin bar. For bonus points, I can slide a muslie bar through the hole at the front (I’ll hear no gags about what else could slide through there!)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If you ride with a pack, one of the detachable chin guard helmets can be good.
I did consider one of these but read (probably more hearsay than anything) that the removable chin guards are thinner and by design weaker. Chances are good that they will shatter or snap in a big off and then you also have to contend with snapped plastic in your face too.

I do like the idea of the convertible helmet and they might have improved in this area by now.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
No shame in a full face mate. Murphy’s law though, you will never hit your face again!

I’ve tried so hard to find a segment from a video clip of Mike Aitken, sitting in hospital recovering from a massive head injury for this thread and safreek.
Whenever people talk about helmets for riding this scene of him crying, mumbling a Bob Dylan song in hospital always pops up in my head. It has been my go to thing to show people why helmets are important. Especially young, impressionable BMXicans. It’s not really relevant here because everyone is pro helmet but still, the video really nails why it’s important. Seeing one of bmx’s best struggle to speak and walk really drives the point home.
If a fullface will help you feel safer and enjoy riding more, wear the fullface! We all look dorky anyway.

moorey

call me Mia
I did consider one of these but read (probably more hearsay than anything) that the removable chin guards are thinner and by design weaker. Chances are good that they will shatter or snap in a big off and then you also have to contend with snapped plastic in your face too.

I do like the idea of the convertible helmet and they might have improved in this area by now.
They’re pretty robust. Even a proper FF can cave in with enough force.
I only ditched mine because the older super2r weren’t very comfy. Was the worst of both worlds.
I bought a discounted carbon Fox Rampage that I now use when pretty much any gravity is involved. Even in the cold, I overheat in a FF, and remove it for most slow climbs.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
They’re pretty robust. Even a proper FF can cave in with enough force.
I only ditched mine because the older super2r weren’t very comfy. Was the worst of both worlds.
True, I'm not planning on sampling the dirt that hard n' fast :) It is hard to avoid the little kids that will snigger at the old guy wearing a full face on an XCish trail. I get the safety thing and all but those little kids will hurt our feelings.......sniff.............

Even in the cold, I overheat in a FF, and remove it for most slow climbs.
What is this 'climbing' of which you speak? Next you will be telling me that it is done on 29er hardtail and you are wearing the lycra bumsock with a Look jersey :)

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I should wear mine (Super 3r), but I'm a bit like @Mr Crudley and I got it to ride Thredbo and do a shuttle day at Stromlo, but still wear my old XC one other times. Knee pads though, full convert.
I was wearing knee guards towards the end of my dh racing days (late 90's) but didn't really ever have a big crash in them.

One race I gave them to my folks after the race while they grabbed a coffee in town and said I was going to keep riding for a bit but take it easy. When they returned I was in the back of the ambulance getting a 15cm gash to my knee stitched up.

When I eventually get a FF I think it'll pretty much be an every MTB ride thing for me.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've taken go wearing sunglasses while I ride lately. I got sick of glare and bugs ... definitely look like a much bigger wanker than normal.