winter is coming

Benj

Likes Dirt
Digging season approaches!

(This is an absolutely pointless thread -just sharing my enthusiastic anticipation: mmm... nice moist soil...)

I spose given that it's only early march, it's also rather premature.

PaZZaZ

Likes Bikes
So right man, so right. Cant wait till i get some new tools and work work work all weekends and holidays. Hopefully by the end of winter i will have a full trail up and ready to tear..

Winter is the best time of year, we need a longer winter, about 8 months would suit me good.:D

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
According to experts, this winter is meant to provide more rain that previous ones... in Victoria anyway!

PaZZaZ

Likes Bikes
im building in tamvagas NSW!!! WOOT!! gonna have siiccckk trails. Ill post pics of the production when i start.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Benj said:
Digging season approaches!

(This is an absolutely pointless thread -just sharing my enthusiastic anticipation: mmm... nice moist soil...)

I spose given that it's only early march, it's also rather premature.
Yeah respect for trails diggers.
We'll be digging as soon as the dirt gets soft enough to create lips.
Then again come mid winter when sets are finished and your wanting to ride but run-ups/lips/pits are wet we'll all be wishing for warmer weather.
Hoping we get some rain soon. As soon as the 30 degree days are past we good to go.
(btw don't post where your digging)

mitch_dmr

Likes Dirt
gotta love winter for getting old, run down trails up and running again. also good to start that secret set just for you and your mates;)

Scrap

Squid
winter soon?!?!? wouldnt o guess'd it. it's been like 37-38 degrees here in perth for the past few days.... not cool at all. nice dry dust 2 build jumps with over here. :D

blt2ride

Likes Dirt
After having NO rain all winter here in Southern California, the end of our winter has been pretty bad. It's been cold and rainy for the past few days, and we have more rain in the forecast. In one month Spring will be starting for us, which means--daylight savings time! I hate the rain (that's why I live here in So Cal), but we have been able to do some digging, so it hasn't been all bad...

curtisrider

Eats Squid
heres a few messages that might get people digging your own trails this winter.
no trail builder likes seeing the faces of people in summer that they didn't see once in winter helping out.
help out at your local trails when it counts or build your own.

ben@scruffian.com said:
Rant:
Since January I have done about 10 hours a week at the trails. I have been working pretty hard this year but I guess it's paying off. This is almost your last chance to go and start some jumps.. Don't moan in the summer that your jumps are rubbish or that you wish you had dug more.

If you have not put in any effort this winter then you will NOT be welcome to any woods near my house. By effort I don't mean a couple of hours mooching around at someone else's jumps holding a spade and pretending to do something. I mean actually getting your hansd dirty and building something that you want to ride and other people will want to ride.
It's nearly the end of February. There's not much time left.
I love Yak and Aiden, Will and Max, Dave and Iain and everyone who digs..
mark and rory @barendbmx.co.uk said:
i think you already know what i'm going to say. so why bother? tools provided. three months have passed since we started building again, and i haven't even seen some of you weekenders during this time. the worst offenders are those of you who live within 15-20 miles of the trails, who come down nearly every DRY weekend. where are you now?

a sunny day in march/april 2006:

you: alright

us: alright

you: how's it all riding?

us: ah, so so

you: i'll be on the starthill then

us: no

you: what?

us: no way mr. loud trousers

you: there's nothing wrong with or loud about my trousers

us: just go

you: bu.. but what about all the other years gone by where you simply tolerated my unfair, selfish and frankly childlike behaviour?

us: [gives look as if to suggest those days are gone]

you: boy is this ever awkward! and boy do i wish i'd got off my fat, self-centred arse and helped you dig this winter gone. well, guess i'll be off to (local miniramp). bye!

IT'S YOUR CHOICE - IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!!!! COME DOWN AND WE CAN WORK IT ALL OUT!!!! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!! DON'T LET THE LOVE SLIP AWAY!!!! MERRY FUCKING CHRISTMAS

---

So Christmas came and went, we all ate too much, and while some were relaxing, others were digging hard - even on Christmas Eve.

But alas, those who live the closest and perhaps preach about not digging were nowhere to be seen! Some were writing Myspace bulletins and some were getting tattoos. Hopefully it's not too late though and they can dig up enough hours relative to their distance from the trails to mean they can ride when Spring comes..

---

moving swiftly on the the safer grounds of digging news - the trails were finished by jan 20th last year - this isn't going to happen but there is now a shitload of digging being done between five and seven days a week. the boys from the black hole that is chandler's ford are making a late push for glory whilst team excalibur cottage are lagging slightly after a promising start. still no sign of many seasonally-familiar faces. YOU NEED US IN SUMMER - WE NEED YOU IN WINTER

Dirt Jumping STP2

Cannon Fodder
Yer definitely anticipating the rains

next moistish day gonna go out to the local pines with a bobcat o'rite:D :D
make a nice rythm set and a couple of table tops afew nice burm's and all that ill see if i can get sum pics :D :D :D :cool:

hopefully all works out ;)

Speedy

Likes Dirt
This will be my first winter without digging which sucks its half the fun and all the more rewarding when riding. Hoses save the hassels of summer mine was just that bit too short though. Anyone with DJ's hidden in Sydney in the city?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
i know that this is a mtb site, and winter is awesome for diiging, but what about the snowboarding! thredbo park here i come!!!
but other than that, i should be diggin our new freeride track with some mates.

RedPill

Likes Dirt
Can't wait to start digging again, going to have to find a new secret spot as all the trails in canberra are getting bulldozed, hope to see fellow canberrans out their building up the local scene again.

HYOSHIMO

Straight up emo gangsta
i swear i am in dire need of winter -my trails are dying in this heat and little to no rain.....bring on the fripples i say haha

but on a serious note - i thought we recieved more rain at the beginning of summer then any other season i can remember - anyone else find we had a mini wet season kinda thing in syd?

naz

Criminally Inane
HYOSHIMO said:
i swear i am in dire need of winter -my trails are dying in this heat and little to no rain.....bring on the fripples i say haha

but on a serious note - i thought we recieved more rain at the beginning of summer then any other season i can remember - anyone else find we had a mini wet season kinda thing in syd?
fuck oath it was like noah's freaken ark, and now i bet it wont rain for months.

turkey 6000

Banned
the bad thing about winter is where my (secret) jumps are theres heaps of snow sometimes about waist height.
also when you finish early and its to f@#kin wet to ride:mad:

HYOSHIMO

Straight up emo gangsta
yeah my jumps are below a damm and at the base of a small hill so when it rains you could swim over them- gay drainage

i cant wait to start digging theres a old set of trails that havnt been ridden in years that will be getting the fix up

heres a trick i use if your jumps are in an area where other rider often ride and you are worried about getting any tools nicked drill a 1/2 inch hole at the top of the handle of your shovels/mattocks/brooms whatever put a d-bolt like the ones you use to attach a trailer chain to your car through the bolt then chain them to a tree