Wisdom Teeth

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
My god, that would be so bad...
48 stiches did you say? Farrout...

I guess the Easter bunny didnt want you eating much chocolate this Easter...

gmmoto

Likes Dirt
Im 15 and by the sounds of things im gonna have to get mine out... now im just dreading it haha

Why all the stiches in the mouth?

cameron_15

Eats Squid
yeh it was around 48, they had to stitch up the gums that they had cut into to dig the teeth out. the were small stitches though so you need more of them. they aren't what hurt though. they had to cover up 4 holes about 1cm squared which would have used about 12 for each one, they wouldn't tell me exact details for some reason. they wouldn't even let me keep the bastards. the pains just about all gone now and it's been 6 days.

i hope i'm not putting you guys of getting yours out, it's not as bad as i made out i was just having a winge because i'd been in such uncomfortable pain for 5 days and had only eaten jelly, yogurt and soup. if you get them out young it won't be as bad because they'll be smaller and less setteled in. my mum had hers out last year at 43 and 1 had got tangled around a nerve and two others got stuck in her jaw bone. they had to cut away a bit of her jaw to get it out, beleive e she had it much worse than i did. i feel better then i did last week as the teeth were pushing against other ones and now that they are gone the pressure has been released.

if you take all the pain killers and stuff when your supposed to and follow the instructions the doctors give you, you can get through without much pain. i just found that i couldn't last the 4 hours between tablets. the younger you get them out the better. :)

danjacs

Squid
I could'nt afford to get mine out when i needed to, (new baby + being an apprentice) which meant i had to use the "bang head on brick wall" pain control technique:eek:

Best get them out before they disintegrate......a whole new world of pain!

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Im one of those who decided to let nature take its course. I have notoriously crooked teeth and had braces as a teen to straighten them up. When my wisdoms began coming through I figured, they like the rest would come through sideways or something.

But really they were only a few degree's either way from being straight. So I let them push through at the back of my jaw. The other teeth in front shuffled down a little to make room, but nothing major.

I was told by one dentist I would need emergency surgery to get them removed. A second opinion said leave them to come through. Always remember invariably Dentists will tell you whatever gets them the next down payment on their Porsche Cayenne. And for a 22 year old soul without health cover I decided to go for dentist number 2.

After about 2-3 years of taking nurofen every time they flared up (every couple of weeks), eventually they stopped in the place they are today.

Funny thing is, I only have 3. I went to a new dentist a few years ago for a check up and an an xray revealed that the 4th one never developed in my jaw. I was worried I would have to have my wisdoms removed due to cavities, but in the end the dude just filled them and said they might come in handy if others fall out/self destruct.

That dentist overbilled me too. Time to find a new one that isnt a slimy crook. No offense to any dentists here, but you guys need to clean up your act.

N
This is pretty much my exact story. I'm 27 this year, one has grown nearly all the way through at the top and the other seems to be thinking about it. The bottoms haven't said boo. I'm not as worried as all the money hungry dentists tried to make me. I wore a plate for 3 years, braces for 4, they have their share of money from us (ie. my parents). Makes you wonder how crappy the industry is. I got told I needed two fillings, asked which teeth. Went to the next dentist, I needed three fillings- guess what- different teeth. F'ers.

agoer

Likes Dirt
All 4 of mine were out for about 6 or so years, they never gave me any dramas. When I was discharging from the navy I thought it would be a good idea to get them knocked out, as it was for free and they were at a funny angle. The orthodontist nearly pooed himself when i told him i want all 4 teeth pulled out, the smile that came over his face was pricless. Ive never had any holes in my teeth touch wood (im 29) and i didnt want to take the chance of them getting infected. im glad i got it done.

g

agoer

Likes Dirt
Sorry if this sounds dumb but where are the wisdom teeth? Also, how are they any different? I'm no dentist!
Wisdom teeth are 4 teeth that come late in your teens mine come at 19.

They are the very last teeth (in line) at the back one each side at the bottom and one each side at the top, they often come at about 45 degrees (esp the bottom ones) and push on your other teeth. They are more prone to infection as food and crap get caught in between them and they are hard to floss and clean. Other people have no ill effects from them at all.

G

Middo

Likes Bikes
Wisdom teeth are just the molars that develop last. Not everyone has them develop fully, and not everyone has problems with them. I had 3, had them out, was eating solid food the same day - my dad was in pain for a week.

As for the comments on dental hygeine - you only have to clean the ones you want to keep. That's one of my partners favourite catchphrases - she's a dentist. If you want an informed opinion on this topic, go see your dentist.

If you complain about needing lots of expensive work done, it's not a greedy dentist (unless they are exclusively pushing high-end fixes on you like crowns), they are just charging you for being expected to fix years of your neglect. The cost of their equipment and materials is pretty astronomical too - I've seen the bill. My partner is constantly telling stories of people that NEVER look after themselves, then get agro when told about the level of treatment required, or the cost. Moral of the story - stop eating sugary s**t and clean your teeth.

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
I have three wisdom teeth, two of which have pushed through, no hassles, the third looks like it will probably do the same.

The final pair of adult teeth in my jaw never formed, so I had the baby set until they blew apart (almost literally) and got pulled out about 12 months ago. Now I have gaps, which cause me no trouble, no pain, and the teeth behind are sitting stable. Just something I may need to spend some health-insurance cash on in the future if they start to move. My teeth aren't perfectly straight, but they are functional. was told that braces for me would only be an aesthetic thing, and seriously, considering the rest of the package, teeth aren't really a live-or-die situation...

Small country dentist = reliable cheap, and honest. Helps if he used to go camping and skiing with your parents years ago.

meatlovers

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I've had my braces on for 3 and a half years, and only recently they discovered my wisdom teeth will be coming up in a while (quite a while) so I have to keep my braces on until they come up and can get removed as not to fuck up my teeth. Lame.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
i asked my cousin who is currently studying dental science at University. she said it's evolutionary. some people have them and some don't. our genetics are slowly changing. some people can have 8!(unlucky bastards) it's like appendix's we don't need them. some have them, some don't.

we are an ever evolving race.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GRAVE DIG!

Four days post op now and half my face still looks like a fucking chipmunk, the other half nearly back to normal! Someone please come and suffer with me here?!

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
GRAVE DIG!

Four days post op now and half my face still looks like a fucking chipmunk, the other half nearly back to normal! Someone please come and suffer with me here?!
I was going to make a joke about you being "post op" but guess you not feeling the best...

Get well soon

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
Hook into the painkillers

I had mine out almost 13 years ago. I can probably give you the exact date if I do the maths. I had them done in the chair, cause I'm a tight arse. Driven home by my wife. Pretty out of it for the next couple of days. When I was properly back into it, I discovered my wife was pregnant with number two.

I do vaguely remember having a REALLY good night in amongst the pain killers. I also remember her mum who was staying with us for a week being very embarrassed. Apparently it's hard to be quiet when you're on narcotic based pain killers. Who knew? :first:

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
Best of luck mate I had mine out mid march. They were making me a grumpy bastard so im glad their gone. First weeks the hardest I couldnt open my mouth wider then my finger but not to worry your mouth is fast healing.

keep it clean gargle savcol to avoid infections and 2 to 3 weeks good as gold (thats if you had surgery with stitches)

MasterOfReality

After forever
I had all mine out a few years ago. I too decided to let nature take its course but problems hit me later on.

My wife and her brother had theirs out perhaps 3 years ago and I remember laughing when I saw them. 6 months later karma struck............

Anyway went to dentist and got referred to maxillofacial bloke who then pulled them out 2 weeks later under ga at the day hospital.

Last year got another tooth pulled and am currently halfway through a two year invisalign braces treatment.