Wisdom Teeth

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Oh God, can't wait to read what 15 year old me said back then.

For the record, my teeth are now glorious after getting braces... Just incase you were wondering.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had mine done in the chair too- cash influenced decision for sure.

8 days post now and still forcing panadeine forte through the gap in my teeth every morning. Today was the first I didn't wake up at the 'Fuck me I need to stab someone' end of the pain scale. Fingers crossed it goes up from here.

At their worst, my wisdoms locked my jaw at about this gap for two weeks at a time. Kept the little fuckers for proof, one of the roots is turned pretty bad.

MOR how's invisalign going?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Had mine done in the chair too- cash influenced decision for sure.

8 days post now and still forcing panadeine forte through the gap in my teeth every morning. Today was the first I didn't wake up at the 'Fuck me I need to stab someone' end of the pain scale. Fingers crossed it goes up from here.

At their worst, my wisdoms locked my jaw at about this gap for two weeks at a time. Kept the little fuckers for proof, one of the roots is turned pretty bad.

This doesn't sound like much fun...if you are having trouble with the caps, try crush the forte up for an easier ingestion.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Going good. Just over halfway through a two year treatment.

My teeth were a borderline case, bite was all crooked and teeth were crowded. I needed an additional tooth pulled a week before I put the invisaligns on for the first time.

The ortho I go to is an invisalign platinum provider and actually teaches it at uni.

Cost wise, it was around $8k for the two years, aroud $6k out of pocket after phi rebates. Normal braces were $800 cheaper so it was a no brainer for me. One year on only my boss knows I have braces at work, nobody else has picked up on it.

My wife had invisalign as well (18 month course) and got them off a week before the wedding. That was damn expensive wedding prep.

You change trays every 2 weeks. Some are ok, some hurt like fuck and you cant sleep but thats the case with conventional braces as well. Occasionally I get this thing where my jaw almost locks up, almost feels like its got arthritis. Painful to chew on food. Dentist told me is a by product of the wisdom teeth op, should cease in a few years.

When I eat, I just pop them out and when I'm done, brush/floss, and put them back in after cleaning.

This doesn't sound like much fun...if you are having trouble with the caps, try crush the forte up for an easier ingestion.
My dentist put me onto Aspalgin - its aspirin with codeine. No prescription necessary but you may have to ask for it at the chemist. Excellent stuff, works better than most stuff apart from prescribed codeine of course.

Two tablets dissolved in a glass of water took the edge off the pain when I got my teeth yanked.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
How is your swelling going?

I had almost zero swelling and bruising. My wife couldn't believe it. Her face blew up huge.

4 days after getting them out I went to my wifes CPA graduation. In the photos I look normal. I remember trying to eat something that night as we went out to dinner to celebrate, nearly jumped through the roof when something got stuck in one of the cavities!

So yeah, I had no swelling but my jaw hurt like hell for close to 2 months as they had to break some bone to get the bottom left hand side one out.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My dentist put me onto Aspalgin - its aspirin with codeine. No prescription necessary but you may have to ask for it at the chemist. Excellent stuff, works better than most stuff apart from prescribed codeine of course.

Two tablets dissolved in a glass of water took the edge off the pain when I got my teeth yanked.
Had aspalgin, tended to work the same as the other stuff for me. I think 4 years of codeine ingestion dealing with the fuckers has upped my tolerance.

First day back at work today (10 days after?) and still pretty tender. Some swelling but no where near as bad as it was.

Hoping to look at invisalign as my next option, though I didn't realise the out of pocket was quite so much! I bumped up my health insurance to get three wisdoms and two fillings done- out of pocket $203 (BOOM!). Rolling it back in a couple of weeks once I'm sure they're okay

MasterOfReality

After forever
Hoping to look at invisalign as my next option, though I didn't realise the out of pocket was quite so much!
Depends how bad your teeth are. Invisalign isn't really suitable for real train wreck teeth, for that you need the proper old school braces.

Mine were borderline. Dentist wasn't comfortable treating them with invisalign so she referred me to the ortho who determined they were ok (just) to be treated with invisalign but over a longer period (24 months compared to the usual 12-18 months), hence the higher cost.

We paid $4k out of pocket for my wife's shorter treatment as her teeth weren't that bad to begin with.

Braces are just expensive regardless. I pay for them on a plan, around $660 every couple of months, spaced out over 2 years so you don't really notice it like you would with a $6k up front hit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Had aspalgin, tended to work the same as the other stuff for me. I think 4 years of codeine ingestion dealing with the fuckers has upped my tolerance.

First day back at work today (10 days after?) and still pretty tender. Some swelling but no where near as bad as it was.

Hoping to look at invisalign as my next option, though I didn't realise the out of pocket was quite so much! I bumped up my health insurance to get three wisdoms and two fillings done- out of pocket $203 (BOOM!). Rolling it back in a couple of weeks once I'm sure they're okay
hit 'em up for a cash job....

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine really only have one bad tooth- worsened by wisdom teeth of course. Have a cap on on of my front ones when I decided to headbutt some jumps during a race when I was 14.

Tempted to just get it ripped and veneer instead!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Mine really only have one bad tooth- worsened by wisdom teeth of course. Have a cap on on of my front ones when I decided to headbutt some jumps during a race when I was 14.

Tempted to just get it ripped and veneer instead!
not enough people working good wooden teeth these days.

indica

Serial flasher
Fuck some people have it rough.
I had mine done in the chair, vaguely remember someone in my mouth smashing at something - one toothe was sideways and impacted.
No issues, went home and had a few beers and passed out.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Fuck some people have it rough.
I had mine done in the chair, vaguely remember someone in my mouth smashing at something - one toothe was sideways and impacted.
No issues, went home and had a few beers and passed out.
Same.....chair, local, hammer and chisel. Had some jerky on the drive home.

Never been back to that butcher though.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had mine out early last year, very little swelling, but some impressive bruising! Pain didn't go away for about 9 days, lived of vanilla "up and go's" and bananas. What I would have gave to eat a steak.

Back onto 15 year old Cameron's first post, I watched a documentary a few weeks ago about teeth. Apparently when we started farming wheat our entire health went to shit. They are trying to find an enzyme in a fossil tooth, in order to put it into toothpaste so that we can rebuild this enzyme we lost so many years ago. I think it was on Catalyst on ABC.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I had just one wisdom tooth out a couple of years ago. It had cracked and when the dentist looked at it, he suggested he just take it out then and there, "it's already half way there". So 45 minutes of pushing, pulling, cracking and crunching, it was finally out, in a three pieces. He reckons he nearly ran out of options, but his last tool got it.
The outcome? I couldn't eat for 5 or 6 days, and the pain spread through the whole side of my face for about a month. No real swelling or bruising but pain. Aching, driving pain.
But that's not the worst. After it had healed up pretty well, I noticed one day I could feel a little sharp thing with my tongue, right where the tooth used to be. I couldn't help but push at it with my tongue, and after a while a little white "something" came out. Figured it was a stray bit of tooth, no big deal. But this happened about 6 or 7 times, some pieces a few mm long! Apparently they were pieces of jaw bone and it's not uncommon after a difficult extraction.
I'm in no rush to get any more out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had mine out early last year, very little swelling, but some impressive bruising! Pain didn't go away for about 9 days, lived of vanilla "up and go's" and bananas. What I would have gave to eat a steak.
9 Days?!?!?! Fuck, mine must be as bad as I feel. I'm 10 days after now, and can still only open my mouth index finger wide (bring on the high schooler's jokes). Flat food diet for at least another week I think. They used to lock my jaw like this before they were gone anyway. Still on painkillers which are driving me nuts. So thrilled for this to be over

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you ever heard of 'difflam' Hach Bee? It's an anti inflammation mouthwash. Absolutely phenomenal stuff, numbs your mouth out like nothing I've ever used, will sting for a bit, but I goes away.

Everyone's different with wisdom teeth I think. I took 9 days but some people I know bounced back in the same day!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
9 Days?!?!?! Fuck, mine must be as bad as I feel. I'm 10 days after now, and can still only open my mouth index finger wide (bring on the high schooler's jokes). Flat food diet for at least another week I think. They used to lock my jaw like this before they were gone anyway. Still on painkillers which are driving me nuts. So thrilled for this to be over
Urge for high school jokes very high.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I had just one wisdom tooth out a couple of years ago. It had cracked and when the dentist looked at it, he suggested he just take it out then and there, "it's already half way there". So 45 minutes of pushing, pulling, cracking and crunching, it was finally out, in a three pieces. He reckons he nearly ran out of options, but his last tool got it.
The outcome? I couldn't eat for 5 or 6 days, and the pain spread through the whole side of my face for about a month. No real swelling or bruising but pain. Aching, driving pain.
But that's not the worst. After it had healed up pretty well, I noticed one day I could feel a little sharp thing with my tongue, right where the tooth used to be. I couldn't help but push at it with my tongue, and after a while a little white "something" came out. Figured it was a stray bit of tooth, no big deal. But this happened about 6 or 7 times, some pieces a few mm long! Apparently they were pieces of jaw bone and it's not uncommon after a difficult extraction.
I'm in no rush to get any more out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I threw up a little reading this. A while ago I was talking with a fellow who performed this task right in front of me! Huge piece of something...was fucked up. He had just had most of his teeth pulled out in anticipation of dentures. Insert anti drugs warning here, as he blamed his poor teeth on years of drug addiction.