With or without gloves when riding? What is your preference?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I have crashed a bmx without gloves and ripped my palms to shreds. When I asked the doctor about getting the dirt and small rocks out of the palm he suggested a local anesthetic and a scrubbing brush. I ALWAYS wear gloves now.
At least he suggested a local.
Many times iv gone to town on my cuts and scapes with a rough facewasher and soap. Only hurts for the first few minutes then it just becomes sort of numb.

Thanks fellas, but is there to any reason why the "PRO's" dont?
I have never seen a Pro in a race run without gloves, I rarely see any pro's even practicing without them. The most notable and well known for the no gloves riding would be Sam blenkinsop but he still races with them.
I could only see a few reason for no gloves.
1.Couldnt be bothered
2.Forgot them
3.Having chilled runs so didnt feel like it was neccesary (shouldnt really matter)
4.It was so hot they wanted as much ventilation as possible.

Last edited:

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
I very rarely wear gloves, the only time i do is if it's raining, or dh enduros.

I feel the bars better without gloves for some reason, just prefer it. riding with gloves feels like there's a massive barrier between me and the bike..

lowpass

Squid
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but the other day I went out and managed to forget my gloves..... I loved it, until of course I started sweating, and things got a little sketchy at times, nothing major but none the less not something you'd notice in gloves..

So I was wondering - the people that do use gloves do you run a super "thin" glove?

I definitely found I had a better feel of the bar and brakes going glove less, which makes think maybe that's why you see it more on VId's with pro's..

I'm probably not keen to do it regularly, I'd rather find a super thin glove that offers better feel and at least pretend it may do something in case of an off..

Shredden

Knows his goats
To the previous poster.

Out of all the gloves I have tried I have found the POW Skinny to be the thinnest, best feel of the bars and brake lever gloves around.

http://www.powgloves.com/bike-skinny.html - Check them out there.

PM me if your keen and I can get you a pair of the best gloves you will ever ride (they also last 5x longer than FOX etc in my experiences)

rone

Eats Squid
I feel more exposed without gloves than without a helmet. I've suffered from 3 dislocated fingers over the years and god knows what my hands would be like without protection.

If you crash, you may not hit your head but it is almost inevitable that your hands will contact the ground.

ADD

Likes Dirt
I have a plate and pins in my hand from breaking it. I know what it's like so I always wear gloves with knuckle protection. My POC's have saved my knuckles a couple of times since I bought them 4 months ago.

bpow

Likes Dirt
I ride with gloves!
My last pair had a fair bit of padding around the palms, helped reduce vibration from the bars and would of helped if I fell and put my hands down (save some skin). Recently got a new pair which are alot thinner. They feel great on the bars with my jet black grips, but dont think they would provide much protection if i came off on gravel! Will be looking for a pair somewhere in between next, something with good feel but also provides protection.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Gloves all the way . Until you have a hand or finger injury then you realise how reliant on our fingers we are . Not only that , i can`t afford the time off work , and i crash a lot .

driftking

Wheel size expert
So I was wondering - the people that do use gloves do you run a super "thin" glove?

I definitely found I had a better feel of the bar and brakes going glove less, which makes think maybe that's why you see it more on VId's with pro's..

I'm probably not keen to do it regularly, I'd rather find a super thin glove that offers better feel and at least pretend it may do something in case of an off..
I still don't know what pros you are seeing without gloves, there are a few times or scene when you might see it but I would say 99% of the time they will be wearing gloves.

I run tld gloves, I don't really notice a difference in rising with vs without gloves, you feel more vibration Nd have more feel from the bar but it is minimal and doesn't really change the ride. When I do covet gloves the main issue is sweating. Also once you have a crash without gloves as others said you realize how usefull they are at keeping skin on your hands. Also right trails they protect you from clipping trees and hanging branches.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I only wear gloves when descending n there's a chance I'll come off,,,,,, I take em everywhere, but most of the time they sit in my pocket or pack..."....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I often ride overgrown trails - having your hands whipped by by bushes makes gloves a necessity - bleeding knuckles sends the wrong message at work

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i wear gloves when riding unless its race run.
its just a thing that makes me feel more into it. but i dont want to slice my hands open when practising so i wear gloves then

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glvoes always for me, except occasionally for cruising or commuting home in the rain (don't want to have to dry them out). Ride XC/enduro, too much of a wus for DH. Prefer the extra protection and grip. Mostly fingerless gloves except when it's real cold, I sweat to much for full finger all the time and dislike the manky gloves hands of sweaty full fingers. Not much mention throughout the thread of fingers vs not.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I wear gloves - gives me even more grip AND gives me more confidence when I am single finger breaking (I dont want slippage due to perspiring with 1 finger contact on brake lever).

That and, my day job and lifestyle will get severely impacted if I hurt my hands...
Ahhh, the world famous hand model has been revealed!!!

bjmtb

Likes Dirt
It's all about personal preference. When i first took up DH I swore by them, having the big knuckle buster's. But after progressing at the sport i found they were bulky, upgraded to a thinner pair and settled with that for a while. in the last 3 or so years I haven't worn them. I find I get a better feel for the bike and with gloves It just doesn't give me that. It depends on conditions, riding in the wet without them is nigh impossible and i'l still wear them when I ride the Hardtail into town. But for the most part, with respect to DH and racing, I won't wear them. It has absolutely nothing to do with protection or "looking cool". Everyone has their preferences. But I'd definitely give it a try if you haven't.