Wombat 100 - 14 April 2013 - Entries Now Open

tomi_g

Likes Bikes
On the cost of races such as the wombat and the odyssey: I love these races and think they are great fun and well run but a little too expensive. And no included T-shirt at the wombat is a bit disappointing!

Doesn't the wombat get around 1000 entries?

very roughly... 1000 x $110 (half way between 100km and 50km price) = $110,000.

I'm not sure what the running costs are or if my estimate of 1000 entries is even right (I will see if I can check that) but it's a fair amount for one race.

Like other members have already said, they are commercial ventures first and foremost. I bet a club could put on just as good a race, including hiring staff and workers where needed, and only charge half the entry fee. Until some club does this though, people will continue to pay a premium price.

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Geelong club runs the Yowie. It's $1 a km. So $33 for the 33 $66 for the 66 and you guessed it $99 for the 99km race. Last time I did it they even had African drummers on course.

fergo

Likes Dirt
On the cost of races such as the wombat and the odyssey: I love these races and think they are great fun and well run but a little too expensive. And no included T-shirt at the wombat is a bit disappointing!
But you get a pair of Wombat 100 socks!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

Doesn't the wombat get around 1000 entries?

very roughly... 1000 x $110 (half way between 100km and 50km price) = $110,000.

I'm not sure what the running costs are or if my estimate of $1000 entries is even right (I will see if I can check that) but it's a fair amount for one race.

$1000 entries! Whoa! I don't think I am particularly price sensitive when it comes to race entry fees, but I think $1000 would be a bit steep :p

The Wombat, OO, etc are races run by a private promoter - thus its in their interests to make a profit on the race based on the time, effort, labour, etc they put into making the race a success.

Some people on here think $95, $105, etc is pricey - but ultimately its the market that determines if its priced correctly (ie. a high number of participants turn up) or not (ie. not enough to turn up for the PP to make a profit).

It was about the same price last year - I did the 50km and loved it, For me $95 is still worth it, hence I am back in 2013 for more :)
Clearly enough people did it last year to make the race a worthwhile venture for the PP.

leopafe

Cannon Fodder
50Km course

Hi guys, I'll sign up for the 100 but I want to do some kind of reconnaissance tomorrow and I think the 50k course looks good.
Does anyone know if it is all public land that can be ridden any day?

Cheers,

Leo.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys, I'll sign up for the 100 but I want to do some kind of reconnaissance tomorrow and I think the 50k course looks good.

Cheers,

Leo.
all public land _ you don't have to ride exact course to get the feel of the flow around wombat. Drive out to woodend/old Calder hwy, finger post Rd and do 20k loop.

MJG

Likes Dirt

Cheers,

Leo.
Sorry for the late reply.
The 50 km race route uses very little of the 18 km Wombat loop, whereas the 100 km route does, as well as lots of singletrack in pine forest. The Wombat 50 route - i.e. 2nd half of the Wombat 100 route - has heaps of fire road, but does visit parts of the Wombat that aren't ridden much by most MTBers.

If riding on singletrack floats your boat then the first 50 of the 100 km would be the one to choose.

As mentioned by others, it's all public land, and can be ridden at any time.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Went through woodend yesterday and last weekend very smoky from the dse burn offs in the Forrest, anyone know when the burn offs are finishing, the weather looks great and knowing dse they will want to keep going until the rain comes. I hope sunday is like was it was yesterday with the smoke hard to breath.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Went through woodend yesterday and last weekend very smoky from the dse burn offs in the Forrest, anyone know when the burn offs are finishing, the weather looks great and knowing dse they will want to keep going until the rain comes. I hope sunday is like was it was yesterday with the smoke hard to breath.
Wishing evil upon others johndh, or do you hope Sunday ISN'T like yesterday was?

No signs (or smells) of burning off today.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Track Update

The Course is being marked and after yesterdays drizzle rain in Melb, the report is that Woodend got very little rain at all. The track is still dusty and in great condition. Look out for a few bogholes and the B-lines around them.

Have fun on the trails!

johndh

Likes Dirt
Mjg I have recent experiences with dse and they are keen on burning off, as an event organizer you need to make sure you are in contact with the right area of the organisation for they may burn off where you don't want them to, as they nearly did late last year on us.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Spewing - made the decision to pull out of the race yesterday - been sick all week and in no state to race. Bummed really as this was a race I was looking forward to :(

Its too late to get my money back so if someone wants to use my entry just PM me.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I left my gel flask and clear adidas glasses at the 50 km feed station. If anyone has them please pm me. Awesome trails :)

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I did the 50 today and loved the first 20Km or so - the trails were some of the best riding I've ever done, just lovely and flowing through the trees. The next 20Km sucked a bit I think, just lots of logging road. Blah. The last 10 was a good mix of singletrack and fireroad. Totally knackered right now. Thankyou organisers and volunteers.

Last edited:

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Also did the 50, awesome single track, maybe a bit more fire trail early may have prevented some of the stops or people who wont ride some sections put themselves a bit further back in the field.

Anyway had a great time, thanks to all the volunteers out on the course

madman_67

Likes Bikes
only made it 7k into the the 50k & snapped my chain was great up to that point. bloody long walk back. will be looking forward to next years.