Wombat 100 - 14 April 2013 - Entries Now Open

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
Did the 50 today on a whim, and was richly rewarded. Fantastic event! Beautiful course, with just the right mix of single track, fire trails, and roads. The other riders were really polite, chatty, and had that great "having a good time" vibe about them.

The highlight had to be the beer vouchers being given away at the finish line. Brilliant! Free beer before lunch: it doesn't get any better than that!

I will be back. Guaranteed.

katokid

Squid
Also did the 50 and was my first ever race. Didnt know what to expect but certainly didnt expect the numerous complete stops in the single trail for the first 15km or so. Good long climb before the water point but a bit roady after that until the last 10km which was perfect.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Cranked out my first 100km in four years (the last one was a Chase The Sun round at Lysterfield). Having done the 50 here last year, I knew what to expect in the second half, but the first 50 was entirely new to me. Gotta say, that's where all the fun track is! Although it's still got some good bits, the 50 is a bit of a grind in some spots. I reckon the trail crews probably need to trawl through some of the ruts on the 4WD tracks with a big net, just to make sure no riders got lost in there!

seb710

Likes Bikes
Have completed the OO 100km, Avoca 90km and now the Wombat 100km this year. All have positives and the first two have negatives, I'm struggling to find a negative for the Wombat. Great trails, grippy, flowy and plenty of single track. Best 100km for the year. For those complaining about the entry price get over it. Value for money was in spades today. Thanks to the volunteers and friendly banter on coarse.

MJG

Likes Dirt
I rode sweep for the first 50 today and much of the second 50. The number of discarded gel and energy bar wrappers left on the course was a real disappointment. Up to the first feed point I picked up 14 wrappers. From first feed to the Triangle (crossing of Fingerpost Rd) - 7 wrappers. From the Triangle to the event village - say 20 wrappers. After that I gave up, as I wouldn't have had daylight left to finish the ride, apart from cleaning up a 29er inner tube, two dead CO2 canisters and a gel wrapper all left together by the side of the jeep track on the long climb up to Gerrys Tk.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I rode sweep for the first 50 today and much of the second 50. The number of discarded gel and energy bar wrappers left on the course was a real disappointment. Up to the first feed point I picked up 14 wrappers. From first feed to the Triangle (crossing of Fingerpost Rd) - 7 wrappers. From the Triangle to the event village - say 20 wrappers. After that I gave up, as I wouldn't have had daylight left to finish the ride, apart from cleaning up a 29er inner tube, two dead CO2 canisters and a gel wrapper all left together by the side of the jeep track on the long climb up to Gerrys Tk.
I suggest sending the wrappers for DNA testing. Identify the filthy fuckers and ban them from future races.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for cleaning up M.

How hard is it for a competitor to put the frikkin' wrapper back in the pocket? Piss poor and pathetic...

Last edited:

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
Thanks for cleaning up MJG - I was a little ashamed on behalf of the riding folk with amount of garbage left on or on the side of the trail. Why do riders, whether you are elite or other feel they are in their rights to dump their crap on the trail...

Thanks to MaxAdventure once again, fourth time I've done the event and I have thoroughly enjoyed every single episode. Marshalls are awesome, track was wicked and the food at the feed stations was great. Well done.

Until next year...

Marx

Likes Dirt
Did the 50km & loved it.
With commitments elsewhere, most of my bike conditioning comes from actually participating in events rather than training beforehand, so the 50km was just right for me. Rode to the start/finish & back home to my folks who live in Bullengarook. On the way back home down Fingerpost rd I couldn’t resist riding the Magellan section again, those bedded in trails where mag-na-fic !

Came across some 100km tail enders clocking up their 70th km, hoping my little white lie about “the worst being behind them” was some encouragement.

The singletrack was great, but I did remember the amount of gravel road getting a little bit repetitive, I think it may have been down Burnt Mill Rd – kinda crying out for some singletrack to head east-west somewhere along there.

I reckon sweeping the trails afterwards would be great fun, as the trails would be at their best, although I’m not sure how big my sack would need to be for what could be found along the way...

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
looking at the results i see the first single speeder in the 50km did it in 2:29... htf... very impressive.
must be one angry man...

splinter1959

Likes Dirt
Check equipment

I did the 50. A challenging track, bit too much road for my liking but it is to be expected on a big race like this.

Got a flat, first one ever since first race in 2008. Sitting by the side of the track trying to get my pump to work was a drainer. It was the first time I had used it and the nozzle has two settings, one for car and one for presta valves, this I didn't know.

Oh well, lesson learned, check and use equipment not just take it with you.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Actually, just realised I do have a complaint. A pretty fuggin significant one too. ........

The zip ties in the entry bag were too short. Had to join a couple up to get the plate on. Fuggin disgraceful.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Actually, just realised I do have a complaint. A pretty fuggin significant one too. ........

The zip ties in the entry bag were too short. Had to join a couple up to get the plate on. Fuggin disgraceful.
how big are your handlebars, my zip ties could have gone round my bars twice... they were so long i actually trimmed them off before the race!!

Pastavore

Eats Squid
how big are your handlebars, my zip ties could have gone round my bars twice... they were so long i actually trimmed them off before the race!!
Just a suitably manly size. My entry bag contained these tiny little coloured thingies.

maxadventure

Likes Bikes

Short cable ties = less weight which makes you go faster! Only trying to help you reach that PB. Next year, carbon number plates ;-)

On a serious note just a thank you from the Max Adv team and the Wombat MTB club for the continued support of this event. Thanks to every rider who came out to ride the Wombat, we are determined to make this one of VIC's premier events and as always we value any feedback, good or bad. Feel free to give me a call or drop me an email, contact details on the event website.

Henry