Workplace inequality issue...

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
oh, a good example of what i am talking about

for a few weeks there i was catching the train and then riding the singlespeed to work 1-2 days a week.
train times meant that i either got to work an hour early or 5mins late

so my options were to either work extra for free or sneak in late and risk getting busted (like a naughty teenager)
a better option would have been to be able to start and leave early those days, but no deal :noidea:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
You don't think it's possible that an employer finds out you've lied to him three days a week saying you're dropping the kids off at the pool when in reality you're doing your house up and your boss is being bent over to cater for it? If I were a boss in that situation then I would not only send you packing but I'd make sure you got paid some extra attention from John E Law.

Whenever I get special treatment at my workplace I see it as a bonus, not a requirement. I'm more than happy to have my wonderful job and I do more than my best to keep my job. A good attitude goes a long way and special treatment is something you need to earn.
The type of fraud which you are suggesting attracts gaol time (we are not Americans) is for criminal fraud. That is, there must be a specific prohibition in the Crimes Act, for example like sections 179 and 178AB (in the NSW act), but these relate to obtaining a financial advantage by deception whereas this flexibility does not really confer any financial advantage...so the remedies would lie in a civil suit, certainly dismissal would be justified. Regardless of the legal position at criminal or civil law it simply isn't a good policy to be dishonest. Fundamentally, if you have to lie to make a point, what does that say about your point?

The other aspect that worries me about this thread is that while it is great to have flexibility it is often a privilege and not a right (unless it is in the terms and conditions of your employment contract/award/enterprise agreement etcetera). Privileges need to be earned and it takes some time for that to happen, you cannot expect to get the same privileges as other colleagues who've earned the trust and loyalty of the employer and with it those privileges. I worked with a guy that after 12 months expected everything, like being sent on overseas assignments, he even wanted to move to Thailand and work from there and was upset when they knocked him back. He eventually, took up a posting in the US and negotiated a green card sponsorship as part of the deal and was upset that they imposed something like a 5 year mandatory "stay put" clause or he had to pay back all the relocation and immigration expenses. Seemed reasonable to me and was common practice as far as I can tell.

The third thing that concerns me; is this just born of some feeling that the OP is missing out on something and is therefore just authoring his own unhappiness? If you don't really need it, why do you want it? Just because others have it? Don't let it upset you too much, your taxes are helping to pay for schools (and Gonski!!), day care, pre-schools, family rebates and so on. Is this discrimination, yes, though acceptable as it is also good policy. Why? Without children our nation dies. It is one of the most important functions of a society, self propagation, and raising children is a big part of it. The other important things, you will find also often are subsidised heavily through grants, concessions and public funding of infrastructure.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
"The other aspect that worries me about this thread is that while it is great to have flexibility it is often a privilege and not a right (unless it is in the terms and conditions of your employment contract/award/enterprise agreement etcetera). Privileges need to be earned and it takes some time for that to happen, you cannot expect to get the same privileges as other colleagues who've earned the trust and loyalty of the employer and with it those privileges. I worked with a guy that after 12 months expected everything, like being sent on overseas assignments, he even wanted to move to Thailand and work from there and was upset when they knocked him back. He eventually, took up a posting in the US and negotiated a green card sponsorship as part of the deal and was upset that they imposed something like a 5 year mandatory "stay put" clause or he had to pay back all the relocation and immigration expenses. Seemed reasonable to me and was common practice as far as I can tell."

This I like, well written Slowman.

RCOH

Eats Squid
oh, a good example of what i am talking about

for a few weeks there i was catching the train and then riding the singlespeed to work 1-2 days a week.
train times meant that i either got to work an hour early or 5mins late

so my options were to either work extra for free or sneak in late and risk getting busted (like a naughty teenager)
a better option would have been to be able to start and leave early those days, but no deal :noidea:

An even better example would have been to discuss with your boss, in the days prior to the 'few weeks' mentioned above, said train timetable and work arrival times and ask him/her if they minded whether you started and left early (or late).

Also - 5 mins late - you should have just ridden faster.

It really does just sound like you're whinging.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
i had discussed with boss, and told that my workplace doesnt allow flexible hours (unless it suit them...)

as far as creating children being important to the country, i agree and pay taxes without benefits so agree there that everyone has a role to play

not to worry though, not wanting to be labled as a whinger i will stop now

thanks for all the tips i will take them onboard

floody

Wheel size expert
Right, you want flex time to renovate because other people have flex time for their kids?

I'd tell you to recite your story whilst walking.

Equality isn't equal.

toofar22

Likes Dirt
Dude. You need to build a bridge. Your company does not owe you a living, despite what you might think. You are lucky to have a job and I am sure you have lots of nice thing's courtesy of the salary they have generously paid you.

I speak simple truths only.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Your ability to negotiate with your boss is an issue between you and your boss, it has nothing to do with the other people at your work and what you perceive they get or don't get - which is also none of your business, it is between them and your boss. If you don't like how your boss manages then go get a job with an organisation that matches your values. Truth is I have staff come to me with the most ridiculous crap about 'he said/did/got blah blah' then I remind them about when I let them 'same but different crap' and the response is 'oh yeah that's different I had to make up the hours'. I then point out that the other person had to give as well.

The bigger thing you fail to grasp is that having kids isn't a magical ticket to flexible working hours and walking in the sunshine...it is time consuming hard work juggling how the fuck do I finish the presentation that is due tomorrow and attend darling daughter's musical tonight, whilst dropping son off to football training while wifey meets the dude about the new mortgage? You were right about it being best for you not to have kids cause if you can't cope with the current situation and perceived slights then there is no way known you will cope with kids.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd love to hear your boss's side of the story.

It could be possible that your boss is a complete c&#t, but yet there are other people at your work that have the flexible conditions? There's not successful boss on earth who wouldn't let you start and finish 5 minutes off to accommodate a train timetable.

Sounds to me like there is way more to this story than you're letting on. Exactly what sort of behavior got you a formal warning?

MARKL

Eats Squid
thanks for the advice
I was having a bit of a rant by the time I got to that point so my apologies, I don't know you so I can't make that judgement. In my experience kids are the best thing you will ever do and give you a totally different perspective on life.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
thanks markl, i know its a touchy subject

wellsey, not sure how much i can say here
im results driven and sometimes in pressure situations make harsh calls that others dont agree with
99% of the time thats fine but the other 1% got me in trouble

others with flex hours all have kids, as others have said if i cant negotiate then the clear answer is to look elsewhere
its a shame though as the work IS interesting, but the hours, pressure and lack of give-and-take are wearing me down

the "authoring own unhappiness" thing was very wise, thanks (not being sarcastic)
for the record ive been there longer than most and like i said have a fiancee
im getting on and 5yr plan includes marriage selling to get a bigger place to raise a litter, im not some kid hating monster

i agree hamsta, most are like this for 1st 1/2 hour! but i dont have the luxury