World Championships - Val di Sole DH Results

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For anyone that cares freecaster have Gee's race run up: http://www.freecaster.com/live/1000188_1004965 . Watch it and imagine someone on an Ironhorse going 10 seconds faster and then stacking at the last corner and you have Sam Hill's run:( They usually will put up the top 3 placings but I guess they will be up soon.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yay for Gee, awesome fast.
Sad for Peat, after Sam went down I thought he had it.
Sam binned it on last corner with massive understeer, still came 3rd, insane.

Awesome Worlds everybody, great track.
understeer? what a crock of shit his front washed out, just leant it over too far

dave m

Likes Bikes
the freecaster guys did a pretty good job i reckon, my stream was clear as the whole time which was pretty cool.

Having been around mtb racin on & off since the early 90's & seein guys like Ronning & Sharples race overseas & then have to wait 2 months to read about it in a mag, i must say it is pretty cool to watch the kid who lives just up the road from me, live on the net, show everyone in the world he is the best rider on the planet regardless the result........sam was so much visibly quicker up the top, even the commentators said "it looks sped up"
Yep, good job freecaster, and Rob Warner, it wouldn't have been the same without you! And having Herbold drop in was just awesome... Reminiscing about white onza porkies.. I love Herbold and I would never joke about this. Ever. Love him.

Lol, I used to video tape 9's Wide World of Sports every Sunday in the hope I'd catch some mtb'ing (anything). Once they did a John Tomac in Oz special which I still have it on VHS. But thank heavens for this internet business...

Can't stop thinking... if Sam had known his time and put in a few more kranks after his off he would have cleaned up Peat..with a crash, no? Hard luck Sam, but the rest of your run was super human and inspirational.

How good was Herbold?

Last edited:

nosbod

Likes Bikes
Sportmanship

Firstly, I consider myself to be relatively unbiased. I also like to see the underdog get up and take a victory but I had a few phone call from someone at the worlds and from what I heard I am off Gee Atherton. Maybe someone can confirm this, but the word is that Gee was saying not to believe the hype around Sam, he is beatable as he had just proved and the rest of the guys have stepped up the pace now and Sam should be looking out.
Gee may have won the race but I still think Sam is the fastest rider out there. Not into guys shooting their mouth of with trash talk. I hope Sam puts 5 seconds on him at the next race.

dave m

Likes Bikes
Firstly, I consider myself to be relatively unbiased. I also like to see the underdog get up and take a victory but I had a few phone call from someone at the worlds and from what I heard I am off Gee Atherton. Maybe someone can confirm this, but the word is that Gee was saying not to believe the hype around Sam, he is beatable as he had just proved and the rest of the guys have stepped up the pace now and Sam should be looking out.
Gee may have won the race but I still think Sam is the fastest rider out there. Not into guys shooting their mouth of with trash talk. I hope Sam puts 5 seconds on him at the next race.
ISome downhillers used slag out of Nico back when he was dominating. When Nico left, a few shared the lime light for a while and then another prodigy came along. Just goes to show how insecure the master is making them all feel lol. They need group counselling.
Funny thing is, it's not like Sam is an arrogant loud mouth egomaniac wanker, he just seems like a chilled out down to earth bloke who likes riding and happens goes about it in a devestating way.
Time for them to stop whining and start winning. Especially now that Rennie is back 'motherf@#ker' :D

gTUz

Likes Bikes
There's vid of George (Gee) dissing Minaar at champery like Minaar was some muppet on a bike. I thougt he was a two time world champ... guess "Gee" forgot that....not a big fan of arrogant loud mouths. Sam is a good example of how a champ should be, all business on the track and smiles off it.
Realistically with out that crash Gee was prob demolished by 6 or so seconds. nothing to brag about really. sure sam binned it but that run was nothing short of brilliant.
Gee can cut shit up but his personality will cost him I think. The hype after last year is proving to be bit of a monkey on sam's back. I'd still back him to take the overall now that he's not won the champs. That'd be 6 podiums in a row at the worlds for Sam wouldn't it?

kulDoctah

Likes Bikes
Sam Hill and friends ??

Here's some more about the atmosphere at Worlds, from www.descent-world.co.uk :

"Unfortunately, Sam Hill's ability doesn't always make him fans. His competitors don't like it one bit. Steve Peat had a good laugh at Sam Hills expense and this was a shame - but I know he has lost titles to falls and might have felt it was his turn. Not sure that Barel was laughing at him though in Les Gets?"

"As Hill sat there head down, answering in few words (as ever) Gee seemed not only chuffed to have won, but happy to have broken the Hill win streak. Gee mentioned in an answer that he was glad they'd stepped up to 'Kick His Ass' as Hill was sat right next to him. Hill looked to have close to a 10 second advantage and I think he deserved more respect than that."

A bit disappointing... Not much of a Champion behavior there Gee...:( Sam really does deserve some respect.

The whole reportage is here http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=95&task=view&id=884

Check out Rennie!! OMG, reverse Mohawk ?? :eek: :D

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the word is that Gee was saying not to believe the hype around Sam, he is beatable as he had just proved and the rest of the guys have stepped up the pace now and Sam should be looking out.
Mate that's hardly trash talk. Sam's undoubtedly the fastest guy out there right now but this year the rest of the riders have stepped up and he IS beatable. Doesn't mean Gee doesn't respect him - he's stating a fact. What's the alternative? Every rider shows up with a mindset that says, "Oh well Sam's going to win. Hope I can get second place."
These are professional athletes and a good portion of being successful is having a belief you can win, so of course they need to think Sam is beatable.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
I disagree. The downhill scene has always been about mateship and beers, and when you see this about Gee, it sickens me.

How is he able to look sam in the eye after statements like that? The other problem that arises is riders changing teams and the prospect of ending up on the same team as someone you bagged a year before.

Sam is all about professionalism. He lets his riding do the talking and doesnt need to bag others to make himself feel good, he just has to look at his trophy cabinet.

I hope he smashes the WC overall and then just smiles and thanks Gee for a good season.

If this comes down to the last WC event, how will the track side spectators accept Gee on track? Hmmmm.....

nosbod

Likes Bikes
Mate that's hardly trash talk. Sam's undoubtedly the fastest guy out there right now but this year the rest of the riders have stepped up and he IS beatable. Doesn't mean Gee doesn't respect him - he's stating a fact. What's the alternative? Every rider shows up with a mindset that says, "Oh well Sam's going to win. Hope I can get second place."
These are professional athletes and a good portion of being successful is having a belief you can win, so of course they need to think Sam is beatable.
As I said the comments needed to be verified, as such I wrote that with a very neutral tone. The phone call I received was that Gee was disrespecting Sam and his language was more severe that what I wrote. Until I could veiw some recorded interviews I tamed down the report I recieved
Again, I respect any riders on the WC circuit but for someone to say that he effectively has met his match, that his ability is sliding and everyone has court up is absolute bullshit. The guy was close to 10 seconds up when he crashed.
Now I don't know about you but in the local and state rounds a 2- 3 second lead is a convincing win. A 10 second lead is awesome and then for Sam to do that against the world's best is uncomprehendable.
I just think it is "trash talk" to the highest degree.
On the otherhand, can anyone site a time that Sam has had a negative comment about any of his competitors?

Last edited:

dave m

Likes Bikes

Isn't the alternative to have a belief to win and express it, but in a respectful way? Is that not the point? Maybe I missed something.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Win or no win, I'm just just glad we actually got to see what could be Sam on the limit, and it was off tap. As a spectator and fan of the sport I'm happier that he went for it rather than playing it safe. In hindsight I think you'll see alot more of Sam's run in videos than Gee's or Peaty's run. Definitley one of those see to believe moments.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Win or no win, I'm just just glad we actually got to see what could be Sam on the limit, and it was off tap. As a spectator and fan of the sport I'm happier that he went for it rather than playing it safe. In hindsight I think you'll see alot more of Sam's run in videos than Gee's or Peaty's run. Definitley one of those see to believe moments.
yeah, you're right on there. i've watched it a bunch of times and there are a few shots where he's absolutely flying. Definitely incredible to watch. In some ways I reckon the other riders need to watch Sam's run and compare it with their own to see that maybe they're not close enough to the limit. Sam was absolutely on the redline for his entire run. regardless of the crash, it's probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen on a bike.