World Cup #3 DH/4X - Vallnord, Andorra

xristianos

Likes Bikes
WTF?.....see it in his stance?? It's like when the first pics of him riding his Demo in Adelaide first popped up people were going "oh that bike looks heavy" "oh he doesn't look comfortable"

Did you see the way he tore apart the top section of that track? he absolutely destroyed it!

You've just gotta look at any footage of the Monster guys riding this season to see that both him and Brendan look super comfortable and super pinned on their new rides. If anything is giving him any grief this year it would have to be his chainguide!
seriously guys get over this fucking shit about the demo no suiting him and his stance being different, didnt everyone give their expert opinion on this already when they first annouced the change in bikes.
a riders stance will change when you ride a different bike so fuck off all the comments about this shit.

to sum it all up, he is getting super fast and I think the other riders are pushing so hard becasue they know it.

As someone has alrady said, its early days. he can only get better and im sure no one is more disapointed about the crash then them
don't you think everyone is entitled to their own opinions? it's my honest opinion. so are you really just trying to prove me wrong? or something else...seems like all the swearing in the replies above are quite aggressive and I, for one, feel like your trying to pick a fight.

if it's a fight your after, i'm in adelaide. come see me. i'll give you what you want. ;)

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Everyone is feeling sorry for Sam - but I feel sorry for the guy who was up at the split and then flatted (I think it was Pascal, which would be gutting for him as he has been off the podium for ages).

xristianos - yes, you're entitled to an opinion, but when you state it here be prepared for someone to tell you your opinion is wrong.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
No footage yet - but here is where/how it happened:

"Sam Hill (AUS - Monster Energy- Specialized) was up by 1.6 seconds less than 40 seconds into the course when he had a horrendous crash off of the face away drop and ended up 50m away from his landing zone in a snowbank. He walked away unscathed, somehow."

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Judging from the splits Sam crashed between the first and second split although he still was on time going in that middle bit off the rock drop...

EDIT: Beaten to it, that would have been sick if he held that scrub!

Well done Delfs and Button too...pinned

joshrides

Likes Dirt
i saw rhys come down, was a bit dissapointed when i saw he had a flat and was only .56 down heading into the forest. owell

Viv92

Eats Squid
Why would you feel sorry for Sam after this race?

He rides fast and takes a lot of risks. He crashes a lot more than any of the other top guys but smokes them all when he stays on and rides like he did last night. His last two super fast runs (champery and val di sole) both didn't win him races because he crashed. Likewise with Andorra. He would have to know there is a risk there, and he takes it.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
No footage yet - but here is where/how it happened:

"Sam Hill (AUS - Monster Energy- Specialized) was up by 1.6 seconds less than 40 seconds into the course when he had a horrendous crash off of the face away drop and ended up 50m away from his landing zone in a snowbank. He walked away unscathed, somehow."

31 4 AUS19850721 HILL Samuel MER 54.799 43.51 1:55.48 2:27.89 +05.84 50

How the fuck did he only finish 6 secs behind 1st if he crashed like that? Sounds like a mild (read: extreme) exaduration.

dh1

Likes Dirt
don't you think everyone is entitled to their own opinions? it's my honest opinion. so are you really just trying to prove me wrong? or something else...seems like all the swearing in the replies above are quite aggressive and I, for one, feel like your trying to pick a fight.

if it's a fight your after, i'm in adelaide. come see me. i'll give you what you want. ;)
everyone is entitled to their opinion and im not trying to start a fight but that whole subject has been covered and do we really think sam would sign a deal with specialized if he wasn't comfortable on the demo or suited to it.

like someone said before he is alot faster and taking more risks. whether he is taking those risk on purpose or accident I dont know but i think he needs to find the line between being in control and riding loose and not knowing where that line is, it is probably what helped contribute to him crash. and since he is alot faster and he knows it he is probably sussing out that line.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
How the fuck did he only finish 6 secs behind 1st if he crashed like that? Sounds like a mild (read: extreme) exaduration.
Not too extreme... It looks like Sam crashed at the end of the video section where we see him scrub. It is a pretty steep drop from there (see 54 second mark here), so when Fraser (Britton) says 50m from the landing zone I'd guess at Sam sliding down parallel to the course on the left there (down from the landing zone) and not losing a lot of time.

What is more amazing is binning it in that section and not ending up mangled on the trees on either side.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
The scrub was cool.... until he binned it!

That headcam run of the track on DirtTV shows just how much of the track the footage on Freecaster missed. Pretty average coverage I reckon. Does make it hard being so tight and enclosed among all the trees though.

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
The scrub was cool.... until he binned it!

That headcam run of the track on DirtTV shows just how much of the track the footage on Freecaster missed. Pretty average coverage I reckon. Does make it hard being so tight and enclosed among all the trees though.
Dont whinge about the coverage.

At least we get to watch the DH

nskz

Likes Dirt
Sounds like a pretty big crash. I'm not sure why they weren't filming that section at the time, surely it's on of the most spectacular places on the course.

from littermag.

in Sam's own words at the finish: 'I am just glad to be alive.'

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
Why would you feel sorry for Sam after this race?

He rides fast and takes a lot of risks. He crashes a lot more than any of the other top guys but smokes them all when he stays on and rides like he did last night. His last two super fast runs (champery and val di sole) both didn't win him races because he crashed. Likewise with Andorra. He would have to know there is a risk there, and he takes it.
Sam said himself he doesn't take many risks
strait from the horses mouth!

champery - rediculasley steep and hard to get down, greesey mud.... everyone that raced in that condition crashed!!! der um..?

val di sole - sam took the exact same line he was taking all weekend, track conditions change after constant riding over! you can't anticipate a suttle change In a line when your going 50 ks and hour!!!!!!

shut up nuffy you don't know how to back up what you say!

Last edited:

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://video.mpora.com/watch/eCwCo59qh/ Video from the finals although doesn't have Hill's crash...look at like 6.32 or something, Peaty waves to the crowd although im pretty sure there bullshitting that it was his finals run:rolleyes:

EDIT: Also everyone should stop all this shit about Sam and how he takes too many risks and his bike doesn't suit him and that. Seriously he crashes once and somehow his bike doesn't suit him and he takes too many risks.

Everyone crashed at Champery...you can't really hold anything against him for that.

Vai di Sole was unlucky for him but remember he did still come 3rd.

A crash a season isn't too bad, it seems everyone is his number one fan when he wins and as soon as he makes a mistake those people are the first to have a go at him

Last edited: