Worlds Down Hill HAs Ditched Us Canberrans!

Chris DH

Likes Bikes
What is so bad about stromlo except for the fact it is a bit short!

Why do you think the world cup Down Hillers have ditched use???:mad::mad:

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Uwse som gramer stuf plz.

Although it's disappointing that there's no event in Australia for the 2010 calendar. It doesn't really surprise me that much, i think that the main contributing factor into Australia not being on the 2010 schedule is that we simply don't have the mountains that Europe can provide. Any mountains in Europe make our Stromolo's / Buller's etc look like small hills.

Even though we've been ditched from this years line up, i can see Australia hosting a UCI DH event every few years. Hopefully.

Probably because no club put in a submission to host a round. I'm guessing CORC is wanting a rest after the world champs and there probably aren't many other places in the country with the resources, track and location to host a round of the cup.
Quoted for truth.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid

Cost. The arse end of the world is an expensive place to get to.

There isn't a single Southern Hemisphere world cup race in 2010, and it is rare to get more than one a year.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Probably because no club put in a submission to host a round. I'm guessing CORC is wanting a rest after the world champs and there probably aren't many other places in the country with the resources, track and location to host a round of the cup.

UCI don't just hand them out you know, you gotta apply to host a round.

Chris DH

Likes Bikes
yea i know what you mean

but when will they come back

and whats funny is that the Australian riders hate the track but the over seas riders love the change??
why is this??

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yea i know what you mean

but when will they come back

and whats funny is that the Australian riders hate the track but the over seas riders love the change??
why is this??
Only when comparing the world cup track of the previous year. The only part not likeable is the pedal at the bottom.

But as previously stated, there are much more pressing reasons why there is no round next year.

Last edited:

dh1

Likes Dirt
Good to see Champery on the list.

Will be a killer race there.
Hopefully they haven't changed the track much becasue last time the riders found it challenging and pushing the limits so I hope the track stays that way.

peanut

Likes Dirt
Apparently Canberra was offered a uci wc round in 2010, however due to the $$ involved declined to host it.
Then corc won the right to host the world solo champs, so they are actually hosting another world champs this year.

Dante666

Likes Dirt
Hopefully they haven't changed the track much becasue last time the riders found it challenging and pushing the limits so I hope the track stays that way.
hmm...i wonder if Sam will dominate again?

actually let me rephrase that...will Sam Hill dominate by as much?

dhr_matt

Likes Dirt
Hmm that is really disappointing news... It would have been great to see it in on our own home dirt again.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Although i dont understand the cost of it many people have mentioned it and id assume it would be quite a bit more expensive to get to Aus then the other wc tracks. Plus from what i gather the riders say its good to change the tracks but that been said i havent heard anyone with a great oppinion on stromlo just that its ohk and the bottom sucks.

This has probably been answered so many times but why dont they hold AUS wc rounds on other steeper more challenging tracks like awaba,thredbo etc, i know there are a lot of factors but wouldnt they be a better option then stromlo.
I dont want to make out that stromlo is crap, i havent ridden the track personally but i would like to get down there and ride it one day for sure it seems like a fun track.

Just that for wc racers who are at such a high level and most seem to not be fond of the track id assume they would choose a more challenging track.

Last edited:

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Windham eh.. cool location, not far from NYC.. Americans must be pleased to get a WC back on home soil..

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Australia was never going to host a round in 2010, it was blazing all over the PA at the Wolrds last year. The word on the street (I was told by a dude who knows stuff......) is that a five year deqal commencing in 2011 would kick off to host world cup rounds. Fingers crossed!

For the record, i'm sick of hearing people bagging the Stromlo course. Isn't it enough to have a goo dtrack with a bit of pedalling in it? I reckon the course is damn good and needs more cred.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
This has probably been answered so many times but why dont they hold AUS wc rounds on other steeper more challenging tracks like awaba,thredbo etc, i know there are a lot of factors but wouldnt they be a better option then stromlo..
It's been answered a hundred million billion tillion times... There is no "they".

If you want to host a world cup round at a venue of your choice you need to put in a bid. There are many reasons why other places, awaba, thredbo, everywhere but stromlo... have not placed bids.

The main limiting factor is resources to pull it off. CORC is the biggest club in Australia they have had fantastic governmental backing with the rebuilding of Stromlo and attracting/hosting their WC round and championships.

Forgetting all the logistics, UCI requirements and $$$ needed to put something like a WC round on, the amount of time and man power it takes to get it up and running few, if any, other club/promoters/venues in Austral could pull it off.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think the course is great, the thing that i find frustrating is all the gates on the track that are only removed for races. I understand the reasons for it, it is just annoying. Australia and its liability is a real drag.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
Personally I think the people at Thredbo (perhaps with some government funding??) need to add an advanced line which can be used by everyone (no stupid gates) and also as an option to host WC events.

The mountain is big enough. They don't race the full length of the mountains in Europe anyway, just the top part with the lift on it, so it's a good size and it has a lift system.

I'm surprised at how many suggestion of other tracks go around but Thredbo isn't mentioned. Don't think of the current track there (which is fun, but not WC level), think of the potential of the place if it had bit of funding behind it...