Would you pay over a grand for a rear derailleur

floody

Wheel size expert
I'd be amazed if it shifts any better than current Dura Ace 7900, SRAM Red or Super Record gear, and the weight penalty for those at about 1/3 the price is 25g for Red, 45g for 7900, and 60g for Super Record.

All in all, I don't know why anyone would bother. And KCNC jockey wheels in a $1000 derailleur? Bitch, please....

Tomas

my mum says im cool
as stated in my post its great that high earning people exist and want to spend their money on high end bicycle products. marketing works by targeting your product at specific audiences (stereotypes).
Thanks for filling me in with your definition of marketing. I was out of my depth in this thread untill you educated me in my profession. Thanks. In future though, probably keep your 2c about 'what marketing is' to yourself, because if you think 'thats what marketing is about' youve got NFI.

I think you'll find that dollars and cents spent on your bike is somewhat independent of disposable income.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Each to their own....

this is still in the vapourware class... none of the showbikes this year had them and lightweight are still the only ones I know of that have displayed the derailleur.

If weight was the be all and end of bikes to you then yeah you could probably justify it....just remember there are people out there who tune their bikes like some tune classic cars. I have seen pictures of 4.5kg roadbikes so each to their own.

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
the sticker makes it look like something you would get on a Kmart bike. Would go well with those carbon oakleys that are only $3000

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Syntace, Tune, Lightweight, AX Lightness...

Are you seriously comparing this stuff to regular kit you'd find in your LBS?

There is a market for extreme weightweenie bike gear. You may think it's pointless, overpriced, stupid, not care, think it won't work as well as a regular bit of kit, but you're missing the point. The weight weeneis don't care what you think.

Right now they're out there debating if they could cut a couple of arms out of the jockey wheels, peel the sticker off, file the body back a bit, pull the bearings out and replace them with drilled teflon bushings and shave another 3 grams off it.

Some folks think exposed jock waistbands, girls jeans and loud freehubs are stupid, some folks think extreme weight weenie is stupid. Different strokes for different folks. When you're finished doing the point and giggle you can get over it and move on.

(for the record, I think it's stupid too, but it exists and there's a market for it, it's just not me)

fairy1

Banned
Syntace, Tune, Lightweight, AX Lightness...

Are you seriously comparing this stuff to regular kit you'd find in your LBS?

There is a market for extreme weightweenie bike gear. You may think it's pointless, overpriced, stupid, not care, think it won't work as well as a regular bit of kit, but you're missing the point. The weight weeneis don't care what you think.

Right now they're out there debating if they could cut a couple of arms out of the jockey wheels, peel the sticker off, file the body back a bit, pull the bearings out and replace them with drilled teflon bushings and shave another 3 grams off it.

Some folks think exposed jock waistbands, girls jeans and loud freehubs are stupid, some folks think extreme weight weenie is stupid. Different strokes for different folks. When you're finished doing the point and giggle you can get over it and move on.

(for the record, I think it's stupid too, but it exists and there's a market for it, it's just not me)
Yeah but they'd only do it if they could blab about it on a forum and pretend like they don't care what people think.

scblack

Leucocholic
there is plenty of cashed up business executives who would by this for their new custom colnago to roll down and pose at the local coffee shop.
Tomas said:
It's not exactly any uber new technology, just a skeletal carbon fiber rear mech with KCNC wheels. Im pretty sick of this stereotypical attitude to rich business people - they're generally wealthy because their good with money, not because they blow a grand on a rear derailleur.
Tomas, horsey is just displaying his depth of jealousy. Jealousy and ignorance.

Just because executives are enthusiastic about riding, want good gear and can afford better than you horsey, does not make them wasteful or cashed up. They probably ride a hell of a lot more than you do, and spending extra on the bike is FAR more justified than what you spend on yours.

horsey

Likes Dirt
Tomas, horsey is just displaying his depth of jealousy. Jealousy and ignorance.

Just because executives are enthusiastic about riding, want good gear and can afford better than you horsey, does not make them wasteful or cashed up. They probably ride a hell of a lot more than you do, and spending extra on the bike is FAR more justified than what you spend on yours.
wow, its amazing what my positive comments towards the benefits of the high end market of the cycling industry can cause.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
My position remains that when you are dealing with a sector of the riding community who are willing to spend over 600 Euros on a stem or 400 on a saddle then a grand for a derailleur doesn't seem that out of the ballpark.

These things are made in low production runs for a niche market so the costs are high.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My position remains that when you are dealing with a sector of the riding community who are willing to spend over 600 Euros on a stem or 400 on a saddle then a grand for a derailleur doesn't seem that out of the ballpark.

These things are made in low production runs for a niche market so the costs are high.
$1K isn't that much for a bike component like that, and apparently they are pretty nice if you get your hands on one.

floody

Wheel size expert
I don't get why though?
Weight saving is ~15%, ok. I'd suggest its mostly through those rubbish jockey wheels.
What about function? I can't make a judgement but to compare to 7900, red or even plain Record it would have to be absolutely on point.
Durability?
Backup?
Its going to be backyard spec compared to the R&D, experience, materials and processes used to make mainstream high end gear...

So I don't get it. I'd have to cynically suggest it exists only because its expensive.

Its no different to the absolute rubbish Gorilla Billet/Pauls derailleurs which used to be around, LX would have outshifted and outlived them.

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
of course thats why it exists, its not trying to advance technology, its just some someone can buy it. Its not designed to be better, just nicer, why buy anything thats nice or desirable when something else can do the job at 1/4 the price. 2 friends, 1 has a giant trance, rides nice, does the job perfectly, 2nd has intense spyder, rides nice, does the job perfectly... why buy an intense when you can get a perfectly good giant for way less...