Wrist injury

lucifuge

Likes Bikes
Thought I'd share my ongoing wrist injury blog, I'm updating it every Wednesday.
Not so much advice on what to do, but what not to do!

Anyway I figure a detailed account might help other riders gauge how long an injury can take.

WARNING graphic content
http://zeppidy.wordpress.com

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
That is an absolute epic wrist/scaphoid fracture!

Having x3 three wrist and scaphoid fractures you have my shock/respect/condolences. I work in rehab and I haven't seen to many that were that 'graphic'...

driftking

Wheel size expert
OH HELL NO I was expecting bone poking out but that was more than expected that was intense man, I probably would have passed out if that happened to me.

slowandold

Likes Dirt
Wow.

Stumbled on to this when I saw the title. Foolishly thought I'd be able to share my experience with a torn wrist ligament.
Mine may as well have been a broken finger nail in comparison.
Glad you had the "Graphic content" warning although I had to look anyway.
Can only wish you all the best in your recovery.
Cheers and best wishes.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After reading all the comments, I had to peek, but only made it halfway down before I bailed Hahahaha

Sorry man, it didn't look good...

namlub3

Squid
Congratulations, you're the first thing on the internet to actually make me physically ill. I felt like I was waiting for needle looking at that and imagining how I'd go if I ever managed a decent injury like that.

With any luck I can forget it by the end of my roster in two weeks and still want to go for a ride.

Seriously just from coming over the bars on a gutter did that to you? How much do you weigh? Do you remember if you hooked it awkwardly on the edge of the gutter or something to manage that?

lucifuge

Likes Bikes
basically picture me on the bike with front wheel stopped and the rear bouncing up and forcing my body to arc over and slam me inverted into ground. i presume my left hand hit at 90 degrees perpendicular to the smooth road (not gutter) with a lot of force. i'm 65kg

i have no idea how i didn't pass out. had to 30mins wait for the ambo too, never felt more cold in my entire life... so thirsty and cold. when the pain kicked in, fk it hurt like all hell.

driftking

Wheel size expert
basically picture me on the bike with front wheel stopped and the rear bouncing up and forcing my body to arc over and slam me inverted into ground. i presume my left hand hit at 90 degrees perpendicular to the smooth road (not gutter) with a lot of force. i'm 65kg

i have no idea how i didn't pass out. had to 30mins wait for the ambo too, never felt more cold in my entire life... so thirsty and cold. when the pain kicked in, fk it hurt like all hell.
How did you get that much rear force from just lifting the rear wheel on the flat at such a high speed?
I'm guessing it was like hitting your front brake and flipping OTB (somehow without brakes? aha)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just goes to show how much force there is from 1.5m height straight to hard ground.

I have never even contemplated a scaphoid fracture that could do that. Can't understand how the radius didn't fracture below the head like it does in 99 % of cases like that.

Roads are bloody evil I tells ya. I've had a couple of fractures , and a rock shelf was one over the bars and concrete the other - bitumen for on ac tear from relatively simple crashes.

It's not just cars that are the problem it's the completely unforgiving surface.

While unlucky to have it happen - consider how lucky you are to be in the 5% of the worlds population who have easy access to such first class healthcare

lucifuge

Likes Bikes
Just goes to show how much force there is from 1.5m height straight to hard ground.

I have never even contemplated a scaphoid fracture that could do that. Can't understand how the radius didn't fracture below the head like it does in 99 % of cases like that.

Roads are bloody evil I tells ya. I've had a couple of fractures , and a rock shelf was one over the bars and concrete the other - bitumen for on ac tear from relatively simple crashes.

It's not just cars that are the problem it's the completely unforgiving surface.

While unlucky to have it happen - consider how lucky you are to be in the 5% of the worlds population who have easy access to such first class healthcare
agreed!!! can't believe radius wasn't affected, amazing. maybe my years of resistance training paid off!?

the healthcare comment is so true, we're incredibly lucky here.

namlub3

Squid
Great so you're my weight too lol. I don't know how I have avoided broken bones for the first 24yrs, can't wait.
So how long until you're back on the bike? How long had you been riding before now?

lucifuge

Likes Bikes
only been riding 3 years or so.

the scaphoid alone can take many months, dr's say up to 6 months to know if its healed fully. i don't want to rush getting back on and making anything worse for myself...in my case,my whole hand is at risk and i dont want to muck around with that. so possibly around December this year? hopefully i can drive my car before that

Great so you're my weight too lol. I don't know how I have avoided broken bones for the first 24yrs, can't wait.
So how long until you're back on the bike? How long had you been riding before now?