WSMTB Club - Round 4 - Venue change to Blue Gum Lodge

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
What a great day. Thank you to WSMTB and everyon ewho works so hard to put these events on.

Great track, for me very challenging and technical. The Palletive Care section scared the hell out of me.

Raced my first race in D grade and came stone cold motherless last. I was actually pretty disappointed in that because I actually have been training. Oh well I have room for improvement.

ukalipt

Likes Dirt
Climbing...

ascending from the troll bridge

[video=youtube;W2m31UNtWxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2m31UNtWxw[/video]

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Xc?

What is even better about Blue Gum is that it is further away from home than Yarramundi. Yarramundi is a nice 50 minute leisurely ride before a race, but Blue Gum is in the mountains, a fair bit further away. I gave myself two hours to get there as the M4 is about an hours ride then it was all up hill to Springwood. I didn't want to blow myself up just on the climb out of the flats before the race so I took it easy along the Great Western Highway.

The racing in A Grade was the usual, fast and mostly furious. Gav had plenty of power after a short stint on the bike last weekend and lead from the start of the single-track. He went on to hold that lead on his big wheeled machine as the remained of the A graders struggled to maintain contact. Further back there was the battle for fourth place between Sebastian, Brad and myself. Brad and I were gaining on the fast starting Sebastian when I was caught out by a slippery pallet and found myself in the dark soft dirt. Brad passed me and I didn't recover, loosing 30 seconds. It wasn't long and Brad was on Sebastian's wheel, then passed him. I was only 30 seconds from Sebastian and would catch sight of him regularly as we wound our way around the course. He held on to the slim gap over the final laps as we had to contend with the lower grade crowd starting out on the track for their race.

A great job was done by WSMTB crew to see that everyone raced by lunch. The hot sausage sambo was just what I need after a hard two hour race. All that was left to do was to make my way down off the mountain and back home, without finding myself in the hurt locker, in the middle of nowhere. How many effective training k’s did I do? The only way to find out is to join me, next time.

Bermshot

Banned
Was a good day for the most part. I liked the 10.30 start. Rode the hardtail and pulled up a bit sore and that didn't include my stack, (sore ribs from that one) and dropped a chain just to round out the luck factor. Its OK mtb5150 I got stone cold last too and I've been doing some training as well, someone has to but I get out of mine due to my good samaritan nature! A young bloke was in some serious pain (sensitive area) after a crash I didn't see, a couple of riders went past him and after the obligatory "you right mate?" I rode to the timing tent to get the medic. If your reading hope your OK dude.

An eventful day for me and loving it!!!

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
unfortunately I couldn't make the race, but it sounds like an awesome ride.

I am sure that this has been asked before, but is there any likelihood of the place being opened for riding on non-race weekends?

I appreciate that it is private property, but it could work to have a ride weekends every say 2 months, run by the club with an entry fee to cover costs, insurance (or could be covered by mtba insurance?) etc plus perhaps a sausage sizzle for club fundraising. I would have thought that the possibility of riding a different track would be enough for mtbers to cough up some dough to ride?

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
At least thats a good excuse bermshot.

Actually there were two good things that came out of coming last. First I got a good long ride in. Secondly that course REALLY showed up to me some technical deficiencies that I have. Besides my flat out fear at Palletive Care, there were two other sections that really tested me, from memory the first was called something like Bergwerk and the second was "The Square Hole". Both of these sections I had trouble getting my bike into a position that I could hit the drop square and safe and in particular i couldnt get my pedals to clear the rocks (particularly at the square hole).

Is there something I should work on with sections like this. i mean is it as simple as you should try to get cranks parallel with the ground or for sections such as square hole do you try to time your crank to lift the pedal over the rock (one down one up?). I was stumped each time.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
From memory it was relatively easy to roll through the two rocks at the Square Hole with the pedals level.

But sometimes it might be a matter of more carrying a bit more speed through the section or perhaps taking what might have looked like a more difficult line before had which will put you in a better spot.

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
But I also had trouble getting a line hard enough to the left to get through that gap.

For me a lot if it is obviously lack of experience and confidence, but after sending the post above I remember reading an article with a MTB skills coach and he was advocating learning to trackstand as a way of developing skills and confidence. The more I think about some of my struggles on Sunday I think that this would help me a lot. If I can get in position and be confident before committing I think I'll be more successful and lose less blood learning.

supagav

Likes Bikes
29er equals speed

But sometimes it might be a matter of more carrying a bit more speed through the section or perhaps taking what might have looked like a more difficult line before had which will put you in a better spot.
I agree alchemist, carrying a bit more speed through some of those sections certainly does help, 29er wheels helped a lot with the carrying speed thingy as well

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
unfortunately I couldn't make the race, but it sounds like an awesome ride.

I am sure that this has been asked before, but is there any likelihood of the place being opened for riding on non-race weekends?

I appreciate that it is private property, but it could work to have a ride weekends every say 2 months, run by the club with an entry fee to cover costs, insurance (or could be covered by mtba insurance?) etc plus perhaps a sausage sizzle for club fundraising. I would have thought that the possibility of riding a different track would be enough for mtbers to cough up some dough to ride?
It's an idea that has been thrown around in the past, but it's probably not going to happen due to reasons of avaliablity and to a lesser extent cost. To quickly explain, BGL is typically booked out for around 6-10 months in advance, WSMTB squeeze in on the odd vacant weekend we can find/beg for. Cost wise, WSMTB pay less than a normal group would as one of the timing ladies (My better half) works at BGL part time, and she volunteers her time as the BGL host over the weekend. I don't think she'd be so keen to volunteer regularly though!

To go with that, it's a prick of a track to bunt and there are three of us who know how to bunt it, and it all comes down on the same day. Erica was still rolling bunting this morning.........

BUT - It has been hired in the past by wholesalers for launch / dealer days and Christmas partys. If anyone can get 40 people together for a day of riding, give BGL a call!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Great track and awesome day, ride up from winmalee and presto!!..had a great stack thanks to one person who stopped on 2 of the technical rock drops, the first one at the right angle turn that goes into a drop, then old mate stops on the next up and over rock roll, i had nowhere to go except over and down the side of the rock drop all tangled up in my bike, old mate then looks at me and rides off( thanks for that ), 2 junior riders came past and helped me untangle and get back up a bit worse for wear, later i find out this same bloke has form in this area, he did the same thing at the same venue last year, and also had an argument with big dog, ah well it didn't stop me from riding and totally enjoying the track and the company!
Big cheer for Erica, Brian, Ray, Matt( web man) and the people who got the track ready, and also for Lynchy for hanging out with me for a couple of laps after finding out i went down!
I know people are asking to ride this place at other times, but 1 big problem is that people are coming in and riding this place of a night and late on weekends, for example when i was leaving on sunday a bloke rode up and asked what was happening, i told him club racing, he tells me he rides here all the time, like nights and late on weekends, i tell him he shouldn't, that it's private property, he gets all defensive that the owners are all too precious, i give up when i hear this and just think you ignorant turd, you will fuck it for everybody when you get caught tresspassing!

Last edited:

Cap

Likes Dirt
On the positive side of track access, the fact that you can only race here around once a year is part of the appeal. My wife and I gave up a local club round in Newcastle to drive down because we like the track so much. I'll add my thanks to the organisers too.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
On the positive side of track access, the fact that you can only race here around once a year is part of the appeal. My wife and I gave up a local club round in Newcastle to drive down because we like the track so much. I'll add my thanks to the organisers too.
I also think that is the appeal as well, cant wait till next year!!

Gotta Ride!

Likes Dirt
It's at the limits of it's property boundary already. An extra 100m could be added down lower in the valley near the 'Square Hole' section, but that's about it.
From Palletive Care section all the way round to the carpark on the other side is a cliff line of varrying heights of 4-12m so that is pretty impossible for xc track without $$$ to construct stuff and probably not worth the effort in terms of enjoyable riding.
I think for now BGL will remain short and sweet.

Bermshot

Banned
Yeah forget the cliff line.

No I was just curious. I think the track feels alot longer than 4.5kms, if someone told me it was approx 6kms I would be inclined to believe them but that could be put down to my unfitness. It is also it's appeal.